BIGFOOT mode

Share your wishes for the future of SoftStep.
vanceg

BIGFOOT mode

Postby vanceg » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:56 pm

I love controlling parameter values using the "Y Increment" parameter.

However, this requires me to be fairly precise with my foot motion. I've been thinking I'd like to make larger, more course foot motions which don't require me to be quite as precise as I need to when I'm stepping on just one key.

So what about a "Bigfoot Mode" which would 'combine' two keys together to function as one for increment/decrement?

What I'm imagining is programming key 6 to be the "Increment" key, and key 1 do be the "decrement" key and assigning both of these to control the same outgoing MIDI message. When I step on key 1, the value starts incrementing (as it would if you stepped on the top half of a key which had "Y increment" set as it's source). When you step on key 6, the value would start decreasing (as if you had stepped on the bottom half of a key which had "Y increment set as it's source).
The harder you press, the faster the increment/decrement happens.

All this gives us is the ability to use TWO keys to create a "footpedal like" interface rather than just one.

I'm thinking two new sources called "Pressure Increment" and "Pressure Decrement" would almost get us there. But they would need to be placed on two separate keys, so they would need some way to communicate with each other (I guess a little like the "NavYx10+key" communicates data between keys).

I tried pretty hard to program something like this using Pressure Live or Pressure Latch, and even trying to use the Y Increment on two keys, with the values of one reversed.... but ultimately I couldn't figure out a way to make this work. I keep getting stuck on the the fact that each key has to know the current value of the other key so that it can "increment" or "decrement" accurately and not just jump to a new value.

So this is either a New Feature request, OR a request for someone to say "Hey, there IS a way to pull this off using the current software".

Thoughts KMI or others?
JT3_jon

Re: BIGFOOT mode

Postby JT3_jon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:45 am

GREAT IDEA! +1
JT3_jon

Postby JT3_jon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:59 am

GREAT IDEA! +1
Nick M

Postby Nick M » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:59 am

Or better still FOUR!!!

Eg 1,2,6 & 7 at once.

(for real big ol' bears like me stuck with great big clodhopping hoofs the size of a carthorse :-) )

Return to “SoftStep Feature Wishlist”