replacing ss_cooking...

a place to share your patches and get help with the Max/MSP Dev. Kit.
TJ-Shredder

replacing ss_cooking...

Postby TJ-Shredder » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:24 pm

I just got the SoftStep and did not like the response of the ss_cooking too much. So I cooked my own recipe with standard Max objects and now I am delighted...;-)

Now I can operate while sitting and have 10 joysticks for my heels at hand or better at foot...
I even imagine to setup multiple SoftSteps for dancers, but that would require some modification of the price...;-)

You can download it here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/288305/St.epsoft.zip

let me know what you think...
Macciza

Re: replacing ss_cooking...

Postby Macciza » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:44 pm

Hi
My first response was ' wonder if thats Stefan Tiedje? Hope I spelt it right? Created St.ools etc?
Just wondering cause of the St. start?
Will have a look and check it out later . . .

MM
KMI StringPort_1650, SoftStep_VK2 v1.2 & MIDI Expander; Mac_Moore Guitar,
Roland VG 8, 88 & 99, YamahaVL 70m; OSX 10.6.8, iMac i7 2.8G QC; MaxMSP 5.1.8, Ableton Live 8.2.2, M4L, SC3, QC, cSound, etc, etc,
TJ-Shredder

Postby TJ-Shredder » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:41 pm

Yes, thats me. I might post some more patches, and if anything is missing, you should simply get the St.ools at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/288305/St.ools%20for%205.zip Its probably in there...

Stefan
Macciza

Postby Macciza » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Cool
I realised it probably was when you signed one of your other posts . . .
Grabbed your latest version just to be uptodate . ..
CamelCased the patcher to St.epSoft inline with the helpfile and your other work . . .

Interesting - The different approach between individual ctlins in your approach and single ctlin/messaging from KMI - might adapt your algorithm to receive KMI message system. Opinions on merits of either approach anyone?
I can see pro's and con's to each system - and their minor technical differences. I can get good effective results out of either approach, just different info / interpretation . . .

The St. joysticks sensitivity when only one sub-pad is pressed and -127 to 127 is nice . . .
But I find I can exceed 127 easily with the pressure response though depending on position/ gain etc (see next point) . .

Re; Sitting - One of the differences I have noticed is response between sitting and standing - due to physics I exert far less force in a sitting position whereas when standing my weight can do a lot of the work - i have different settings presets with different global gains to try to account for this . . .

Thanks for all your various Max stuff over the years and for this current SS stuff

Cheers
MM
Roland VG 8, 88 & 99, YamahaVL 70m; OSX 10.6.8, iMac i7 2.8G QC; MaxMSP 5.1.8, Ableton Live 8.2.2, M4L, SC3, QC, cSound, etc, etc,
TJ-Shredder

Postby TJ-Shredder » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:24 pm

Yes, while sitting, my patch works much better...;-)
I left it exceeding 127, as I get also a much higher resolution than restricting it to 127 and then multiply to get higher sensitivity. Its easy to include a clip if you need to, but you could as well take advantage of the higher resolution...
Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:22 pm

Stefan, nice to see you here...! We frequently seem to hang out in the same joints. :-) I agree, the cooking object was a bit sluggish for me as well, so this weekend I wrote my own in Max as well..should've checked here first, yours is very nice, thanks for posting.

Best regards,
Jeff
Macciza

Postby Macciza » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:33 pm

Stefan and All
Took the core stuff out of your patcher and made it compatible with KMI RawDataInput/RawKey approach . .
Available at https://files.me.com/macciza/xhlknk
Hope that works
Cheers
MM
TJ-Shredder

Postby TJ-Shredder » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:41 pm

My version of St.epSoft has a parameter and does not require the "raw" subpatcher...

I added some more objects now, especially a system which would prevent double loading of ss, and also accidental closing of the patcher containing the ss object (both would be a desaster in a live performance).
The new help file for St.epSoft shows also a way to switch the colors of the LEDs according to the region of the controller you tap. Tap it on the left corner it will be green, or on the right corner it will be red. Or tap it in the low area its green, on the upper area its red...

If you have a recent version of my St.ools get the St.epSoft objects here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/288305/St.epSoft%20Helpers.zip

If you don't, just get the St.ools they contain these objects as well:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/288305/St.ools%20for%205.zip

I desperately hope, that a future version of ss works better than that. I don't know yet why, but sometimes I even have to restart the computer to get MIDI from the SoftStep, thought after restarting Max and replugging the SoftStep I am always able to set the LEDs and the Display - certainly not enough for a device ment to be a controller...,-)
I would love to use it in performance, but its not ready yet...

Stefan
Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:43 pm

Hey Stefan, I'm downloading yours right now....

I've also done my own basic patcher without the ss cooking object...more basic than your previous one, but I find it plenty functional and will be using it with the Softstep in performance. I'm interested in seeing how you handled the double (or more) loading issue.

http://www.jeffkaiser.com/jk.softstep.zip

best,
Jeff
Macciza

Postby Macciza » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:40 am

Hi

Yes I realised yours had the parameter but it did not have port assigned in v1,but I think I prefer the centralised single ctlin - easier to manage, when the SS is unplugged the ctlin loses the port selection so I only have to reset one instead of many . . .

I like the directional leds - I also enabled a pressure response -<64 gr >64 red, will try for gr,y,red next . . .

Next time you need to do a full restart can you check whether the SSCOM midi driver is still active I have had occasional issues with the system midiserver before. I also had an issue where midi sent via Port 1 showed up in Max as on Port 2, which confused me for a bit till restarting Max, so you might want to check that as well . . .

Interesting take on the St.epInitLoad although it does not protect against loading the [ss] via another patch - maybe a .js could look behind the scenes to see if it exists. But your system certainly works with your patches.

I have not quite worked out what MidiMonitor is doing to fix things yet - I thought it might have sent a Universal Non/Realtime message but have not confirmed, or it may be a 'running status' issue . . . .

But I have manged to have multiple [ss device] running simultaneously, infact I can get the SoftStep app, Live running Swirlys SScrollr and Max running the KMI dev kit, St.epsoft and jk.softstep . . . Obviously some toes get stepped on and it is confusing but it works - and it is definitely sending to 3 different SS in Max . . .
Hope to be able to work out a Max solution to this issue . . .

Some interesting variations in your patch too Jeff - had similar thoughts re Multislider but was looking at doing it as 4 quadrants rather than 4 columns. Like the Dial response too. Also using a different named send to your [ss] cuts down crosstalk with co-existing [ss]'s.

Well at least there is a bit of progress and a few people Not decided exactly how I wish to proceed at the moment - am still experimenting with some possibilities but may get around to posting something eventually . . .

Cheers

MM

Return to “SoftStep Max/MSP Dev Kit forum”