12 Step AND Softstep controlling the same MIDI unit?

Get help from other 12 Step users
SoloBassSteve

12 Step AND Softstep controlling the same MIDI unit?

Postby SoloBassSteve » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi all,

I'm not sure which forum to put this in, as it pertains to the SoftStep and the 12 Step.

I've had a SoftStep for quite a while (and love it), and today got a 12 Step as well.

As well as the usage the 12 Step is designed for (have already had fun playing synth pads in Ableton Live with it), I'd love to be able to use it to control my Looperlative at the same time as the Softstep - I want to use the Softstep for programme change, and the 12 Step for CC-control, as well as having an expression pedal hooked up to each.

So here's the question - is here a a way of doing this without buying a 2nd MIDI expander and then a MIDI merge box too? Can I use my laptop as a router and send 12 Step commands out to the Looperlative via the Softstep in hosted mode? Is this the kind of thing I can set up in the 'settings' window of the Softstep program?

any help/suggestions gratefully received :)

Steve
www.stevelawson.net
SoloBassSteve

Re: 12 Step AND Softstep controlling the same MIDI unit?

Postby SoloBassSteve » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:27 pm

..after messing with it a bit, I can't even work out how to map different CC controllers to each pedal on the 12 Step... is that possible?

Steve
www.stevelawson.net
SoloBassSteve

Postby SoloBassSteve » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:17 pm

...OK, I've worked out how to get a MIDI signal from the 12 Step out through the midi out of the Softstep, to the MIDI expander. yay me!

(if you're interested, it's via the 'settings' window in hosted mode in the Softstep - setting up the 12Step as a MIDI device in, then on any pedal in the scene you're using, adding 'MIDI A' as a source, and setting the output to 'softstep expander'.

So, now I just need to work out how to output different CC #s for each pedal (either fixed values, or ones I can program - If they were just CC numbers 1-13, I could map that inside the Looperlative...)

Steve
www.stevelawson.net
Otis Scarecroe

Postby Otis Scarecroe » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:33 pm

Steve,

If I'm not mistaken the TwelveStep only sends note on/off messages.
I asked early on if it could be programmed to send PC and cc and was told that it won't.

The plus is that in "later" versions of LP1, somewhere around 1.38 I think, midi note for all commands was made available. Bob quote from LP1 forum:"MIDI note messages can now be used to trigger any of the allowed functions. This is now part of the MIDI/USER btn programming."(july 10, 2009)

The minus is the LP1 seems to be having trouble with the midi note functions when using midiclock.
Bob quote again: "Can I also suggest that you use program change messages instead of note messages? The problem is that note messages cause much more interference with the clock than program change messages."(Sat. April 21, 2012)

Which LP1 version are you using?

Maybe Keith McMillen and Bob Amstadt should have a meeting of the minds!Together they might revive the LP1's progress.(>Hey you two, yer only about a half hour drive from each other!)

Good luck, O
SoloBassSteve

Postby SoloBassSteve » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:07 am

hey Otis,

the 12 Step definitely sends CC as well - pressure, tilt, velocity... It's a really nice controller for CC.

I've been using it hooked up to Live to play pad parts and it's SO good - the CC control allows me to morph the sounds a little, adds a random musical element that's not just on/off. Am going to have lots of fun with that...

the bit that still looks like it's impossible in this version of the firmware is to assign a different CC channel to the tilt or pressure on each button - so I can't have volume on one, feedback on another, pan on another... It's programmed by scene (which makes perfect sense if you're using it for what it's designed for!).

But, I am going to set up a few banks of LP1 controls on it using the note on/off triggers, so I've got a back-up, and don't have to ever go back to using my old pre millennial midi controller again :)

I think I'm going to try out the 12 Step playing pads + bass idea on a gig soon. It has lots of potential :)

Steve
botched

Postby botched » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:43 am

Hey there Steve... Fancy meeting you here.

A little late to the party here, but...

I am also trying to set up both my SoftStep and 12Step to simultaneously control my computer AND my external MIDI gear (LP1 and effects devices).

I'm able to get the SoftStep routed to my external MIDI gear directly without having to enable any MIDI patching or channelization through a host application, but I can't seem to get the 12Step to do the same. Have you messed around any more on this?

G
SoloBassSteve

Postby SoloBassSteve » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:22 am

Gus!

I haven't tried that yet, mainly because the external stuff I wanted to do didn't seem possible, and I don't own any outboard soundmodules, so once I went back to using the 12Step for its intended function, all the sound production was in Live, so no more MIDI routing...

But next time I fire up the 12Step (which will be as soon as I've got the Softstep dialled in to control my Lexicon as well as my Looperlative - started the project last night, will finish it today :) ) I'll have a look for you!

Steve
cornfieldexpress

Postby cornfieldexpress » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:30 am

steve, it seems you have been able to get 12 step out thru the expander to control your LP1. by that logic i am assuming it would be possible to control Mobius with the 12 Step while hosted in Mainstage 2 and use the SotStep to handle PC and control scenes within MS2. also since the 12S and SS both have expression inputs 2 Roland EV5s could be added. i currently have a SoftStep and am planning on adding the 12Step. has anyone tried this out yet? also plan on adding the Quneo to do other midi stuff in the rig and do level controls and stuff. any thoughts and inputs would be great.

Return to “12 Step Users' Help Exchange”