Playing Quneo sideways!?! Help!

metatron

Playing Quneo sideways!?! Help!

Postby metatron » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:03 am

Because Of my setup and space constraints I am forced to use the Quneo in a sideways position. So that the USB cable is coming out the "top" side instead of the left hand side, ei. rotating the Quneo 90 degrees clockwise from normal. This setup works great for finger drumming but it makes it almost impossible to use the Ableton Live remote scripts that come with the Quneo. So Im wondering if anyone here has experience or knows how I can rotate the orientation of the Quneos remote script. If this is something you can help me with please let me know!
nym

Re: Playing Quneo sideways!?! Help!

Postby nym » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:05 am

i use the quneo in vertical positioning too. makes more sense for the cable to be coming off the top rather than the side.

i haven't used ableton with the quneo, but you may have some luck using a note remapping plugin (as that's the real problem, right? that the pad notes don't correspond because they've been tilted?)

personally i would use bidule, reajs, and IXIX keymap II on the quneo input, and then route the output from keymap II to a loopbe instance, which would feed an ableton input. however, i don't know how the quneo scripts work in ableton so this may not be an option.

also, are you the Metatron i know?
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:45 pm

Yeah, the simplest way would be to take all of the notes from preset 9, and remap them rotated 90 degrees using the editor. The Live script is only listening for the MIDI notes, so if the notes have moved 90 degrees, the script is moved 90 degrees.

Or you can learn to code in Python and edit the script, which would likely take much longer.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
metatron

Postby metatron » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:11 pm

TheSupport@KMI wrote:Yeah, the simplest way would be to take all of the notes from preset 9, and remap them rotated 90 degrees using the editor. The Live script is only listening for the MIDI notes, so if the notes have moved 90 degrees, the script is moved 90 degrees.

Or you can learn to code in Python and edit the script, which would likely take much longer.

Ive tried using the Quneo editor software to remap the midi note 90 degrees as you mentioned and that has no effect on preset 9 and its Ableton Live functionality. The remote script trumps the midi mapping so Im assuming ill have to go into the Remote script and rearrange the matrix for the redbox. I have already edited the other presets so they work corecrty in vertical mode but I haven't figured out how to get the Abelton Live remote script to rotate. I have been looking into the remote scripts for the Quneo and Im pretty sure I can figure it out. But if anyone here knows anything about Python scripting please let me know.
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:33 pm

You either weren't editing preset 9, or you didn't send the changes to your QuNeo using the "Update Preset" or "Update All" buttons (or your QuNeo wasn't actually connected to the editor when you did so).

The MIDI channel is also important — pads need to be on channel 3, everything else needs to be on channel 9.

The script is solely listening for MIDI notes and CCs. All Live scripts behave this way — they listen for MIDI coming from whatever device is defined in the Control Surface preferences. When it receives the appropriate MIDI message, the script then performs the defined action. You technically don't even need to use a QuNeo with the QuNeo script — if a controller sends the appropriate notes/CCs the script will work.

For example: on preset 9, the top-left corner of the top-left pad on QuNeo is set to output note number 112. In the script, if MIDI note 112 comes in it triggers the top-left clip in the red box. You can place note 112 on any Quneo button/slider/rotary/pad and it will then trigger the top-left clip in the red box. It doesn't matter where it is, it only matters that it's sending note 112.

I just plopped note 112 (channel 3) on one of the rotaries, now it triggers the top-left red box clip every time. Bam.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
metatron

Postby metatron » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:32 pm

Weird. Im pretty sure I tried it and it didn't work for some reason. Anyways I did find out where in the Remote Script the Matrix box is set up and I am in the process of getting it rearranged. I already have the redbox working sideways now and Im just getting the rest of the stuff rearranged.
metatron

Postby metatron » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:26 pm

Ive been editing the code all day and have gotten almost everything in the QuNeo Launchpad set up to work in vertical mode. I have remapped a few of the transport controls to make it easier and make more sense when in vertical mode. I will include a link to the file I have been editing. I suggest you take the original QuNeo Launchpad file folder and copy and paste it to your desktop. Then download this file, http://www.filesnack.com/files/c7k3bifn and place it inside your QuNeo Launchpad folder and replace the older file. Then I would rename the folder to something like, "QuNeo Launchpad sideways" and place it back into your ableton live remote script folder. Now when you go into Ableton and select your midi remote script you can select your new script and it should act just like the launchpad template but sideways. So you can use your QuNeo vertically and still use the Ableton remote scripts. I am still working on this and if anyone with some coding experience wants to help me figure out a few more things please PM me and we can get started. I was unable to get the "Record Arm" buttons to translate over to a vertical mode. but every other Launchpad mode seems to work. I will keep working on this and update it when Im finished.

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”