Rotary encoder: odd behavior counter clockwise

Schmidi

Rotary encoder: odd behavior counter clockwise

Postby Schmidi » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:12 pm

So I've setup my two rotaries to act as 0-127 value knobs. The values are the same for both, and both function as intended when finger spinning in a clockwise direction. I'm utilizing the "direction" parameter in the editor. (mapped to Ableton sends or pan, etc on an entirely blank song template (no other mappings))

However, when I spin counter clockwise on the left encoder it jumps in value chunks of 30 or so without me travelling the same finger distance that I just travelled in a clockwise direction. IE: I finger spin a full 0-127 clockwise and the reflected value is 127, but when I spin counter clockwise just a fraction the Ableton value drops by almost 50%.

It is impossible to accurately lower the value. I have checked in the editor and I 100% do not have any double mapped values (IE the left and right rotaries are not sending the same messages).

Even more odd, I SOMETIMES map it to a different parameter and it works as intended.

Is this a hardware fault, an Ableton fault or what?
Last edited by Schmidi on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schmidi

Re: Rotary encoder: odd behavior counter clockwise

Postby Schmidi » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:34 pm

The behavior is VERY random. If I assign a single rotary to multiple Abelton destinations, some will work as intended, others will experience the jump on counter clockwise only.

If I erase all of those mappings, then remap the very same parameters, they will randomly exhibit the behavior. IE: 1st mapping was SEND A and Pan. Pan functions correctly in both directions, and Send A jumps to zero almost immediately when spinning back. Erase, then remap the same two parameters and the jumping behavior will affect Pan and Send A will work correctly.

This eliminated a hardware malfunction, but I'm still stumped?

Are there off limits CC #'s in Ableton that cause mapping issues??
Schmidi

Postby Schmidi » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:17 pm

Any thoughts from KMI Support or others?
emmett@KMI

Postby emmett@KMI » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:40 pm

Do you have a Control Surface script enabled by any chance? That could cause strange behavior in lot's of ways when mixing with a custom preset.
turntables

Postby turntables » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:32 pm

emmett@KMI wrote:Do you have a Control Surface script enabled by any chance? That could cause strange behavior in lot's of ways when mixing with a custom preset.

Do control surface scripts have a habit of causing this?
emmett@KMI

Postby emmett@KMI » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:53 pm

When using QuNeo, Control Surface Scripts are built to be used with a corresponding preset. If the preset is modified it could potentially cause a number of quirks.

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”