QuNeo technical/scripting questions

rlg

QuNeo technical/scripting questions

Postby rlg » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:35 am

Hi,

I'm a couple of days into exploring my new QuNeo. It seems like a very promising product, so thank you for bringing it into existence!

I will mainly be using the unit with Ableton Live, and plan to develop a few custom presets/scripts. Would it be possible to get the uncompiled .py Live script files to use as a starting point? The software download only includes the unreadable/uneditable compiled .pyc files. I've asked a couple of times via e-mail, but no response so far.

While poking around some of the MIDI messaging myself, I've noticed the following -- with the encoders, changing their channel in the QuNeo editor also changes the receiving channel for LED lighting signals. I.e. after changing encoder presets to channel 5 in the editor, for example, sending values to the encoders on channel 5 will change the lights. For the buttons, however, no matter what channel you change them to in the editor, they will only receive lighting signals on channels 2 and 3. Am I imagining this, or the are light receiving channels for the buttons non-changeable?

This makes it difficult to develop Ableton scripts that span several QuNeo presets. I would want to, for example, switch between QuNeo presets, some of which would use button corners, and some that would use pads. If I switch QuNeo presets, my Ableton Live script has no idea that I've done so, and would continue lighting up the wrong buttons.

One solution to this would be to have the buttons respond to light messages on the channel that they've been assigned to in the preset, instead of the factory default channel. I'm guessing this might be a challenge to implement, as the buttons can respond to two different channels depending on whether one wants to control each red/green LED individually, or just use one note number to set a color on a spectrum.

Another solution would be to allow the QuNeo to send a user-definable MIDI message whenever a QuNeo preset is changed. This would allow a Live script to reconfigure its messaging accordingly.

Hopefully the developers might consider some of these suggestions when delivering their next firmware upgrade.

Thanks for your attention!
lokey

Re: QuNeo technical/scripting questions

Postby lokey » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:24 am

i'll just +1 this, a forum response would be much appreciated!
TomSwirly

Postby TomSwirly » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:02 am

+1 to this.

Just got back from my long Europe trip to find the QN waiting for me here, haven't even set it up yet but contemplating writing a Javascript drivers for it like I did for the Softstep or at least hooking it up with Max/Max For Live and their Javascript engines.

Knowing about issues like this one would be very helpful to me.
mooter

Postby mooter » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:01 am

This is a huge deal imo. To really get the best funcionality out of QuNeo and Live we need to do some scripting. What we have so far is a start but far from excellent. I'm going to have to learn Python and the framework and while decompiling is enough to learn some reverse engineering it'd at least be nice to have the .py's to use as a starting template. Especially if we can add modes, then we can get a lot more out of it than the limit of 16 presets.

I've also got some issues with presets 9 & 10 but will post a separate thread.

Note: Keith you should send Stray of NativeKontrol a unit so he can do some scripting; he's done wonders for other controllers resulting in a lot more functionality than standard defaults.

Other than that, the unit is pretty solid; it's tougher and less toy-like than I thought it might've been.
swelljoe

Postby swelljoe » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:54 am

Agreed, getting access to the commented Python code would go a long way toward helping people understand how to work with QuNeo. The marketing materials before it started shipping all promised an "Open Source development kit", which doesn't seem to exist. It would only take a few minutes to zip up those Python source files, and stick 'em somewhere folks can download them.

It would also help with writing other software templates for other software; I use a lot of different tools, and I'd love to be able to drive them all with QuNeo, by switching between presets (which requires other working channels for light messages as the original post in this thread notes; I haven't tried using other channels yet, as I haven't gotten far enough along to where I'm using multiple presets, but it'll be necessary for my eventual goals with QuNeo and how I've used other controllers).
lokey

Postby lokey » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:09 pm

absolutely agree. Please release the source code...
lokey

Postby lokey » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:19 am

well hey, in the absence of official reply (come on guys, really :| ), this site http://www.depython.net/ can be used to produce the uncompiled python scripts...
TomSwirly

Postby TomSwirly » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:31 am

Unfortunately, that service only does Python 2.4 and 2.5.

Python 2.6 was released in October 2008 and is now the standard for e.g. the last three Mac OS/X releases. It's quite likely that the code we're seeing was written in Python 2.6.
mooter

Postby mooter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:05 am

Yeah, I decompiled with the online one and in Ubuntu but there's going to be some errors...kind of surprised the pys aren't available since I assumed there was some ethical air about open source here /shrug
TomSwirly

Postby TomSwirly » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:47 am

If I could figure out where these .pyo or .pyc files lived, I might be able to make some progress on this - I just wasted the last 20 minutes trying to find them.

Really, not a good use of your users' time, is it?

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”