Firmware upgrade with Linux?

demcanulty

Re: Firmware upgrade with Linux?

Postby demcanulty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:13 am

I've got to remember to copy my response before I send, I keep spending too long writing a post and then I lose my writing buffer when I click submit and it makes me log in.

We are getting tight on preset space, I'm not sure off the top of my head if there would be enough room for an extra preset, but there might be. I'd be more comfortable with that if we hit a point where new features and additions to preset data were frozen. But, if I understand the proposal correctly, I think that most of this could be implemented with the current tools available, just most of the work would happen on the editor's side.

It would really be aided by being able to read off presets - the editor could read them off and then know what it was listening for. Then it could send LED commands for live display of the active sensor.

Having a client able to rip presets from the board is high on the to-do list, I'd really like to get it into the final release of 1.2, but I'm not sure yet if that will happen. I'm mailing the lead programmer for the editor about it now. With NAMM coming up there hasn't been time for major new firmware code, but if we're not releasing until after NAMM, then maybe while Keith and everybody is down in LA, Conner and I can get 'preset sucking', as we've come to call it, implemented. Preset hoovering?
Last edited by demcanulty on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
demcanulty

Postby demcanulty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:26 am

Also the sysex documentation is looking really good! There is an overarching logic to the general sysex commands that I'll try to share, probably over that NAMM period where I'll be a little more free. For the non-firmware and preset updating stuff, there's basically a consistent header, and then a two-byte payload that is the command to execute. Once I share out the format, I'll probably go ahead and share all the current commands, which means you guys will probably get raw sensor access a little sooner than otherwise. I'll have to talk to Keith about it because he has wanted us to release raw sensor modes and the sensor cooking SDK at the same time. That's still a ways off yet, so he might not mind me sharing a little bit more under the hood as long as there's not a big to-do about it that makes life difficult for the pr side of things.
kazakore

Postby kazakore » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:00 am

demcanulty wrote:I've got to remember to copy my response before I send, I keep spending too long writing a post and then I lose my writing buffer when I click submit and it makes me log in.

Or just tick the Keep Me Logged In button, or however it is phrased on this forum...
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:37 pm

demcanulty wrote:It would really be aided by being able to read off presets - the editor could read them off and then know what it was listening for. Then it could send LED commands for live display of the active sensor.

Absolutely this is the more important part - if we can get what the hardware is programmed to, we can map it on the client side. Having a "hidden preset" simply would have made it easier by allowing us to force it to a known state, and making sure it responded/sent how we want it to, and even live-update that one preset to respond as the in-progress preset was modified. The second piece (extra hidden preset) is a nice to have. I see the first (ability to extract the current preset/presets from the hardware) is closer to a must-have.

demcanulty wrote:Having a client able to rip presets from the board is high on the to-do list, I'd really like to get it into the final release of 1.2, but I'm not sure yet if that will happen. I'm mailing the lead programmer for the editor about it now.

if it can be implemented in the firmware just not supported by the (stock) editor right off the bat, there could still be very interesting development. If it can be done, dont hold the firmware features for the editor!

in particular, it seems that the "format" of the "rip" is already set - just push back out the same thing that is sent to set the preset(s) in the first place.. so basically just one new command to say send it, and a response that looks like a preset update (with a different header code, of course)

Yeah, I realize there is more to it than just knowing a format. But my guess is its pretty much just a memory dump of the right section of memory?
[/quote]

demcanulty wrote: With NAMM coming up there hasn't been time for major new firmware code, but if we're not releasing until after NAMM, then maybe while Keith and everybody is down in LA, Conner and I can get 'preset sucking', as we've come to call it, implemented. Preset hoovering?

I liked "Preset Ripping" :)
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:45 pm

demcanulty wrote:Also the sysex documentation is looking really good! There is an overarching logic to the general sysex commands that I'll try to share, probably over that NAMM period where I'll be a little more free. For the non-firmware and preset updating stuff, there's basically a consistent header, and then a two-byte payload that is the command to execute.

Yes, I think we sussed that out, and it is already in our docs..
demcanulty wrote: Once I share out the format, I'll probably go ahead and share all the current commands, which means you guys will probably get raw sensor access a little sooner than otherwise.

This could also remove the need for the shadow preset - if we can just flip it into raw sensor access, the editor could (probably..) just use that data for the appearance of bi-directional communication during editing.

demcanulty wrote: I'll have to talk to Keith about it because he has wanted us to release raw sensor modes and the sensor cooking SDK at the same time. That's still a ways off yet, so he might not mind me sharing a little bit more under the hood as long as there's not a big to-do about it that makes life difficult for the pr side of things.

Seems like you could turn it into a pretty big PR win - one of the loudest and most persistent complaints I have heard about the QuNeo was the KickStart funding based in large part on the "Open Source" term in all of the advertising not coming to fruition - a set of open source tools would completely squash that argument! I am sure some wont be satisied until the firmware is open source, but open source access to using it is what most people really want.
demcanulty

Postby demcanulty » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:18 am

Kazakore, you may be right, I've relogged in with the 'auto-login' box checked, maybe it will fix that. It's embarrassing to challenged by such small things : )

A quick talk with the editor lead-programmer implies that it may be the case that getting preset ripping (good call on the naming) into the editor will be slower than getting it into the firmware. I will either get it into the 1.2 release version or I will release a special beta 1.2 version to the forums that can be used for experimentation. I think it might be fun actually. I just need to get a computing environment that can run all your code to be able to appreciate it and give decent feedback.
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:06 pm

demcanulty wrote: I will either get it into the 1.2 release version or I will release a special beta 1.2 version to the forums that can be used for experimentation.

Looking forward to it!

demcanulty wrote: I think it might be fun actually. I just need to get a computing environment that can run all your code to be able to appreciate it and give decent feedback.

Not sure you would see much yet - mine is nowhere near useful or even beta quality yet, I decided to target 1.2 as first real release, so I will need the 1.2 sysex spec before it gets really useful (the js sysex writer will give me what I need, assuming it is based on the code of the 1.1 js that I am already familiar with)

I do this in my "copious spare time", and as I have not done desktop development in over a decade, I have spent a lot of time learning about desktop gui toolkits, etc. And every time I settle on one, somethig else pops up to waste a day or so playing around with it! So going is slow, but I will keep at my efforts.

I intend to (eventually) be multi-platform. Linux is my primary concern, but if I can also cover Windows and OSX, I would like to. I am not testing on other platforms yet (in fact, 64 bit linux is my only working build environment right now) but once it starts to stabilize I will.

What environments do you currently have available? Doing a 32 bit linux build is second on my list..
underdoeg

Postby underdoeg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:38 am

Hi. Did you get the 1.2 syx file? I am also interested in using the QuNeo as native as possible with linux. I was planning on writing an addon for openframeworks (www.openframworks.cc) and use the device as a general purpose controller for c++ applications.

This reply is more about getting a notification when something happens. But I'll sure help you out if you need any testing or whatsoever...
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:22 am

If anybody is looking for release firmware files I've been uploading them at this link: http://files.keithmcmillen.com/download ... sex_files/

The official 1.2 release firmware is 1.2.19

Each one is packaged along with the enter bootloader sysex command as well.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
underdoeg

Postby underdoeg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:56 am

Thank you for the quick answer

Do you somewhere have the info on the new 1.2 specs?

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”