Firmware upgrade with Linux?

Bollenator

Re: Firmware upgrade with Linux?

Postby Bollenator » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:20 am

TheSupport@KMI wrote:I've actually been maintaining a little "hidden" site...

Yeeeeah, TheSupport, I'm going to need you to come by my office this afternoon...

-Keith

(Yes, that's how the link looks on my browser. :P )
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Hahaha, nice.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:38 am

Just wanted to drop in and mention I am still around, and qn_tools is not dead. In fact, I am currently actively working on the GUI for the preset editor.. of course for me, active means I get a couple of hours a week to work on it :)

I dont have much to share yet, partly due to the tool stack I am using, its not easily available in an "alpha" state - suffice it to say it is ... interesting :)

@elmquist: I would enjoy additional members of the qn_tools project, is there something special you had in mind with your tool? Even if we are developing seperate projects, I would definitely welcome additional maintainers to the SysEx documentation - I dont mind being a shared repo for information used by multiple projects if it helps us all!

The reality is there is currently a complete stack for QuNeo on linux - ugly, not newbie friendly, but even without my tools we have:
1: {any text editor} : edit/create/modify QuNeo.json or a exported-preset.json
2: demcanulty's javascript tool convert preset->sysex
3: amidi command (all linux distros should have this) to send the sysex->QuNeo

my tool currently replaces 2 + 3 with a single C++ binary (no runtime to install) and can write the sysex to a file OR send it directly to QuNeo. I intend to make it easily packagable and cross platform (it should be now, havent gotten to building anything other than the 64bit linux I require).

So to me, next step is a nice user friendly GUI for the json presets - so that is where I am focusing. My first pass will probably result in a 2 step process - GUI edit the json, then either qn_update or demacnulty's js+amidi to update.
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:39 am

@demcanulty: did the latest firmware get the "preset rip" feature we hoped for? Any other hidden goodies?
demcanulty

Postby demcanulty » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi, great to hear you're still making progress! Unfortunately no preset ripping yet, that should go into 1.3, but we were looking at our development schedule and decided to roll out some performance improvements that we didn't want to sit locked up while 1.3 is in development. We're a little tight on code space at this point, so squeezing in new features is not as easy as it was earlier in development, and it makes everything take a bit longer than we'd like. But the performance improvements to the drum pads in the most recent version are pretty significant, we're now scanning and triggering midi faster than we were in 1.0.
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:33 pm

If you can read C++ the structures are defined in the qn_update sources in quneoJson.h

Even if you don't do c++ the structure is pretty easy to read.
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:24 pm

Quick note on the difference between the two existing linux stacks

demcanultys JavaScript + amid I works great as long as nothing else is connected to the QuNeo as it connects via rawmidi.

qn_update can share a QuNeo with other connections.

There are good reasons for these differences around sending long sysex messages without an exclusive connection - one day I will create the wiki page on qn-tools to explain ;p
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:41 pm

I posted the wrong file for the sysex structures in my previous post. The right file is QuNeoSyxStructs.h.

I have started to update all of the wiki pages for the 1.2 values and added the missing pages for Globals and Velocity table.

If you look at the docs, just use the QuNeoSyxStructs.h for the individual control values, you will have the right stuff for 1.2

I will try to get it all up to date and complete by this weekend if I can find the time.
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:53 am

Fun Facts:

Top 5 threads in QuNeo Forums by Views
  1. New Ableton Live Script for QuNeo 2604 views
  2. Firmware upgrade with Linux? 2337 views :shock:
  3. In retrospect... (Should I bail while I still can?) 1605 views
  4. 1.2 1488 views
  5. QuNeo constantly causing external hardware MIDI problems 1435 views

Top 5 threads in QuNeo Forums by Replies
  1. Firmware upgrade with Linux? 83 replies :shock:
  2. New Ableton Live Script for QuNeo 43 replies
  3. In retrospect... (Should I bail while I still can?) 33 replies
  4. QuNeo technical/scripting questions 28 replies
  5. 1.2 27 replies

So, by VIEWS the only topic beating this one out is related to the most popular software package in prosumer audio, and it thoroughly whomps the next highest which has a very inflamatory title..

By Replies.. this thread is on top, with second (by 1/2!) is same popular software package, 3rd is same inflamatory title..

@TheSupport: perhaps you could share this with your management as input to the next review of KMI's Linux Support policies :D
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:15 pm

elmquist wrote:Some of the thread views for this topic could be me checking this thread on a fairly regular basis. 8-)

Sure, and I am sure one place we might fall a bit lower will be on a participant count..

elmquist wrote:(1) Official firmware distribution as zip files containing sysex files and instructions for how to install them.

Its the official part that is important.. and why my nudge above! Simple policy change and the first half is done.

elmquist wrote:(2) Platform independent (command) line tool that allows users to customize their QuNeo without using the officially supported editor. In fact other KMI controller products could be supported by such a tool if KMI wants to supply the required information and elbow grease.

All in all its not that unobtainable though we are not there yet.

More than attainable.. we have the command line tools!

elmquist wrote:One may wonder if KMI could benefit from releasing their editor as an open source project? It could be a question of investment protection versus platform support. In any case I find it interesting that outsiders invest time in creating software that already exists for other platforms. A far better solution would be cooperation.

This is the most frustrating part.. I mean, come on, their software is nothing but a JSON editor (nothing proprietary there) with the code to convert that json to their (admittedly) proprietary sysex format.. but the sysex format is semi-officially made public and well documented, and there are other implementations of the json-to-sysex already available - in fact, 3 different ones I am aware of already, in 3 languages (mine in C++, demcanulty's in javascript, and there is a python one (for 1.1 firmware, i am sure it could be updated quickly from the data on my qnTools page).. so there is NOTHING that could be in there to be hidden..

And, since QT is a cross platform toolkit, realistically it should be nothing but a quick compile on a linux machine! Ok, we all know that it wont be that simple, but if its more than a days work to get the compile working I would be surprised, and I am very confident that within 24 hours of a source release, someone will have it done, and within a week it would be available as .debs and .rpms for x86 and x86_64. Most likely even added to popular audio linuxen like KXStudio..

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”