New Ableton Live Script for QuNeo

rlg

New Ableton Live Script for QuNeo

Postby rlg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi,

After getting to know my QuNeo for a couple of weeks, I've come up with an Ableton Live script for it (and two associated QuNeo presets), that suits my workflow more than the scripts that came with it. In case anyone is interested, I thought I would share. Since I couldn't think of anything more interesting, I've called it "QuNeoLive". The script files, QuNeo presets and a quick attempt at documentation are all available here:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D9295742_068_6242298

Features include a larger clip launch matrix (7 x 6), two rows of function buttons that toggle between Select, Solo, Arm, Track Stop, AB Assign and Mute modes, Midi quantization and clip length functions, and fader banking to handle track volumes, device parameters and aux and master volumes.

There's also a pad mode, with user selectable key and scale, and custom drum modes.

I can't guarantee this will work for you, or it won't break, but for now and for me, things appear fairly stable.

Cheers,

rlg
Dr. Mysterium

Re: New Ableton Live Script for QuNeo

Postby Dr. Mysterium » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:13 am

Haven't tried it yet, but thanks alot, its a great start and I'm glad to try it!
mooter

Postby mooter » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:25 am

About to check it out; thanks in advance:)
Edit

This is great, man. I love the mode switching and navigation with rotaries. Same with drum pad mode with the scales and the color indicators (I had done similar with scale modes using a rack but this is handy). Also a big thanks to keeping the decompiles with it. It makes it easier to make minor adjustments and learn some of the scripting.

Yes I hope there's an update so leds refresh correctly when making switches.

Thanks again!

Looks like the nav/rotaries go out once you switch modes; have to reset the script from preferences...
rlg

Postby rlg » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:00 am

mooter wrote:About to check it out; thanks in advance:)
Edit

This is great, man. I love the mode switching and navigation with rotaries. Same with drum pad mode with the scales and the color indicators (I had done similar with scale modes using a rack but this is handy). Also a big thanks to keeping the decompiles with it. It makes it easier to make minor adjustments and learn some of the scripting.

Yes I hope there's an update so leds refresh correctly when making switches.

Thanks again!

Looks like the nav/rotaries go out once you switch modes; have to reset the script from preferences...

Thanks, glad it's working for someone besides me.

What is the sequence of key presses/mode changes that "breaks" navigation for you? It's working ok for me switching between modes and presets...

At this point, I'd probably call the included files "source code" rather than decompiles... the only decompiled files in the package are ConfigurableButtonElement and DetailViewControllerComponent, which, I think, first showed up in the APC40 or Launchpad scripts. Everything else is custom built or customized (the rotary navigator, the custom QuNeo button class allowing color messaging, the clip and tempo components, the persnickety code that makes sure the right lights keep getting lit up,...), leveraging, of course, all the great work done and shared by everyone I cited in my comments in the main script file.

This is, I think, what open source is all about, and therefore I'll note that it's somewhat disappointing that KMI didn't share their script source files with the QuNeo user community (especially when I'm led to believe that most of their code and inspiration came from the same sources that I looked at). Could have saved me some time in getting to the thousands of lines of code this script has gotten to.

Anyway, hopefully the QuNeo team is hard at work on firmware improvements (along the lines of what I've suggested elsewhere in this forum) to facilitate easier switching between modes.
mk4kc5cmc4@gmail.com

Postby mk4kc5cmc4@gmail.com » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:28 am

Awesome, thank you very much! Can't wait to try this out.
mooter

Postby mooter » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:55 am

True, "source code"; I'm a bit ditsy on calling things sometimes, and it is disappointing they have to be stubborn about not releasing their code, especially sonce it isn't deep or fancy, and it'd be enough for me to launch from. There are people who sell controller scripts and they keep the source in there for christs sake. I like both, really. What I'd like to do is take your session, highlight and a&b modes and paste it onto the original script. I like having banks for my rotaries and verticals. And until quneo can handle mode switching better ie sequencer/your notes modes I'd like to leave those alone for now. It's kind of funny because I set up a rack with scales, modes and octave controls to control with clyphx and it's very similar to your setup except I'm using grid. Anyway, it's enough to learn from; I changed the banking to offset by 7 & 6 instead, if only the rest was that easy:p. I tried to get an orange led for B in A/B mode but no dice. I figured you already tried that anyway.
rlg

Postby rlg » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:39 am

That's cool, I don't even know what clyphx and grid are, I'll probably have to take a look sometime.

To get different colors out of the A/B mode, you'd have to override or customize the ChannelStripComponent in the Ableton framework, which currently just sends "on" and "off" values when dealing with the crossfader assignments (A and B are both "on", off is off). You'd want to send a custom button element (one that can handle multiple "on" values) to the set_crossfade_toggle() function, then edit the _on_cf_assign_changed() function to send different on values as appropriate.

This is not one of my priorities (I get enough A/B visual feedback from the screen), but if somebody wants to tackle this functionality, the roadmap above should at least point you in the right direction.
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks for posting this! Totally awesome.

I find that it's always the users who make things like this that show the true power of what can be done in terms of custom scripts/templates/presets.

Keep sharing, keep QuNeoing.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
Dr. Mysterium

Postby Dr. Mysterium » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:26 am

This script is AWESOME! I've messes with it all nite and day, and it's still blowin my mind. Excellent scripting my friend, KMI owes u a free QuNeo for this bit o script ;]
it's smooth, simple yet complex, and it seems bug free to me. If the red box had zoom/leap controls like an APC I'd think I was dreamin this up.
ThAnks a million times over Sir!

(the freaking mute solo rows has shift functions! Ingenious.)
rlg

Postby rlg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:34 am

Hi,

Glad you like the script. I'll think about what I can do to add more navigation/banking options, but it might take a while -- now that I've gotten the script generally operational, I want to spend some time using it!

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”