Strange MIDI issue in WinXP/Ableton setup

CHL

Strange MIDI issue in WinXP/Ableton setup

Postby CHL » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:11 am

I've gone through all of the manual installation instructions I could find and I'm still having issues. In Ableton, I have Quneo as a choice in my 'Control Suface' drop down menu. The problem is, I can't select QUNEO in either the Input, Output, or below in the MIDI Port section.

What have I done incorrectly and how can I fix it?

Thanks!
mooter

Re: Strange MIDI issue in WinXP/Ableton setup

Postby mooter » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:56 am

Do you have a port for "USB Audio Device"?

If so, that's the Quneo. XP doesn't recognize it as "Quneo"
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:12 pm

Yeah, XP names all class-compliant MIDI devices as "USB Audio Device". It could be showing up as that.

Also, do you also have the editor open at the same time (or another audio application)? Windows only allows for one application to be connected to a class compliant MIDI device at a time.

Also, it could be that you have hit the Windows XP USB device limit issue. It seems that once Windows XP has installed over a certain number of MIDI devices it will refuse to show any new ones until you delete some of the existing ones. The problem is that Windows considers any device you've ever connected to be a valid installed device (controllers, USB hard drives, etc) and it won't show you these installed MIDI devices in the Device Manager even if you select the "Show hidden devices" option. Perhaps you could use USBDeview to remove some of the old devices you no longer use?

There are also other ways to fix/work around this problem. They involve editing a registry file, so you'll need to be careful if you attempt a fix. Messing up a registry file can cause some major problems. Make sure to back up anything you wouldn't want to lose before attempting any of this. Here are a few links to various solutions to this MIDI device limit problem:

http://www.vyzor.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=186
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_tech ... q_10entryd
http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/kb/reader.aspx/20090210"

So I would try removing some of those devices from the device manager and see if that might solve the win xp issue.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
mooter

Postby mooter » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:14 pm

That was awesome.
CHL

Postby CHL » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks guys, I just needed to select "USB Audio Device." I appreciate the fast help.
fingerdrummer

Postby fingerdrummer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:02 am

does the editor work with the quneo? have the same thing goin on, editor only works on win7.
kazakore

Postby kazakore » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:17 am

fingerdrummer wrote:does the editor work with the quneo? have the same thing goin on, editor only works on win7.

It's a different download from the Win7 and the WinXP versions. I've used both with no problems.
fingerdrummer

Postby fingerdrummer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:42 am

yes, have the xp soft on xp laptop. i suspect the "usb audio device" thing makes the editor not connect, cause it just dont finds it.
kazakore

Postby kazakore » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:15 am

fingerdrummer wrote:yes, have the xp soft on xp laptop. i suspect the "usb audio device" thing makes the editor not connect, cause it just dont finds it.

And you do have no other audio/MIDI program open when you open the Editor? Remember Class compliant MIDI devices can only connect to one piece of software at time under Windows.
fingerdrummer

Postby fingerdrummer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:26 pm

no :)

been reading manual and forum for hours, deleted old mididrivers in registry, full programm. quneo sends midi on xp, can edit it on win7 laptop, so its not a catastrophe ... but a bit annoying.

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”