My Feature requests for Ableton Live

Share your wishes for the future of QuNeo
mk4kc5cmc4@gmail.com

My Feature requests for Ableton Live

Postby mk4kc5cmc4@gmail.com » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:51 am

-Full control of drum racks including scrolling - major bust here, if I have a drum rack with more than 16 samples in it and I scroll up with my MPD, the MPD automatically matches trhe pads visible on screen. QuNeo should do this as well.

-Full Level button like MPD. Yes, you can set it in the editor, but this is IMO a very useful button to have always available.

-A preset just like Preset 10, except mapped properly to drum racks as described above & which uses all 16 pads for drum rack control as opposed to wasting half of them on Impulse.

Stuff I'd love but understand is low priority:

-LED Feedback while playing MIDI clips, ie if I have a kick drum playing quarter notes, I'd love it if QuNeo would light up the kick drum pad in sync. I think this would make programming drum parts a lot more fun than a traditional step sequencer.
TheSupport@KMI

Re: My Feature requests for Ableton Live

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Drum racks: we'd need to make another Ableton script for this. Don't know if it will happen, but I'd be interested.

Full Level: I definitely love the Full Level button on my MPC and MPD, but I'm not entirely sure where it would go on the QuNeo. Since the QuNeo doesn't have the same sort of dedicated "settings controls" on the unit itself like the Akai series, the Maschine, and the PadKontrol it seems like it would have to be in a weird place. Any suggestions on where this would go?

Preset 10: I imagine you're referring to how it behaves with our Ableton script, yes? Because if not, you can always map everything manually. You don't need to use the script. If yes, then this would require modifying the script.

LED feedback: You can already do this. You just need to launch a MIDI clip with the proper LED messages and output it to the QuNeo. You can refer to pages 32 and 33 of the full manual for diagrams of what messages the LEDs respond to. This is how we handle the LED chasing across the pads in our demo Live set — it's just a MIDI clip outputting to the QuNeo. It's a little more work, but it does work.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
mk4kc5cmc4@gmail.com

Postby mk4kc5cmc4@gmail.com » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:32 am

SupportzKMI wrote:Drum racks: we'd need to make another Ableton script for this. Don't know if it will happen, but I'd be interested.

Full Level: I definitely love the Full Level button on my MPC and MPD, but I'm not entirely sure where it would go on the QuNeo. Since the QuNeo doesn't have the same sort of dedicated "settings controls" on the unit itself like the Akai series, the Maschine, and the PadKontrol it seems like it would have to be in a weird place. Any suggestions on where this would go?

Preset 10: I imagine you're referring to how it behaves with our Ableton script, yes? Because if not, you can always map everything manually. You don't need to use the script. If yes, then this would require modifying the script.

LED feedback: You can already do this. You just need to launch a MIDI clip with the proper LED messages and output it to the QuNeo. You can refer to pages 32 and 33 of the full manual for diagrams of what messages the LEDs respond to. This is how we handle the LED chasing across the pads in our demo Live set — it's just a MIDI clip outputting to the QuNeo. It's a little more work, but it does work.

Yeah, I'd really push for the drum rack thing - that is one of my favorite features of the MPD, especially when dealing with a sliced up sample that is way more than 16 pieces.

Full level - not sure on *where* to put it that will work for everyone. I'm not sure I'm going to end up using the jog wheels for anything, so I think I will just map the on/off of a Velocity device fixed to 127 to one of those.

Preset 10 - the only difference I want is that the top 8 pads control the top 8 slots of a drum rack instead of Impulse. I don;t want to lose the other controls though (Volumes, sends, pans, etc). Can I just change the notes the top 8 pads send while keeping everything else the same? I think I tried that & some of the notes were already assigned to other functions.

LED Feedback: that's great news, I will give it a go tonight. Thanks a lot man.
Bollenator

Postby Bollenator » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:39 am

mk4kc5cmc4@gmail.com wrote:Preset 10 - the only difference I want is that the top 8 pads control the top 8 slots of a drum rack instead of Impulse. I don;t want to lose the other controls though (Volumes, sends, pans, etc). Can I just change the notes the top 8 pads send while keeping everything else the same? I think I tried that & some of the notes were already assigned to other functions.

FWIW, I got this to work exactly as you described, though I ended up moving the top 8 pad notes to the bottom (using Copy/Paste functionality in Editor) and continued the note numbering into the top 8 pads (so the 16 pads are sequential notes starting with note 36 on pad 1 instead of 9).

EDIT: Here's my Preset 10 (note that it also outputs X/Y on each pad, which you may not want):

http://luxomnibus.org/media/preset10_ch ... uneopreset

Looks like it just shows as text in the browser, so you'll need to "Save" it to a *.quneopreset file on your computer before importing into the Editor.
mk4kc5cmc4@gmail.com

Postby mk4kc5cmc4@gmail.com » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:09 am

OK, so played a little bit with the Remote LED function last night, but it doesn't exactly do what I was thinking in the post above. The MIDI notes that light the pad LED's are totally different from Live's Drum rack layout, so if I want the pads to light up to reflect what is playing, I'd have to create a 2nd midi clip with totally different notes from the actual *playing* clip....which kind of defeats the point. The lights are nice, but I am definitely not spending my time creating/translating midi clips just for the LED feedback. I'm wondering if there is a way to use Live's Scale device to create a template track that would translate the drum rack notes to the proper LED lighting notes.

Would there be a way to change *what* note lights up a pad?
JoeOsoDopke

Postby JoeOsoDopke » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:38 am

I would just say for where the full level could go, just make it an available option in all the sensors, just like note data. Maybe implement a drop down menu with available options to edit(?) on each sensor? I don't know.
“People get caught up in gear, but it gets in the way of making the music.When I need to find something new, I don't have to update my shit; I just have to update my brain.” - Flying Lotus
JoeOsoDopke

Postby JoeOsoDopke » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:42 am

I would also say that regarding the LED feedback comment, is there a way that I can make the playing experience similar to that of the Novation Launchpad's ability to display the feedback of note data that you've already made?
“People get caught up in gear, but it gets in the way of making the music.When I need to find something new, I don't have to update my shit; I just have to update my brain.” - Flying Lotus
Jee-Bee

Postby Jee-Bee » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:12 am

mk4kc5cmc4@gmail.com wrote:-Full control of drum racks including scrolling - major bust here, if I have a drum rack with more than 16 samples in it and I scroll up with my MPD, the MPD automatically matches trhe pads visible on screen. QuNeo should do this as well.

mk4kc5cmc4@gmail.com wrote:-A preset just like Preset 10, except mapped properly to drum racks as described above & which uses all 16 pads for drum rack control as opposed to wasting half of them on Impulse.

And a question about the (factory) preset 10. is there no option to switch between the drumrack only all the 16 pads or drumrack 8 pads and impuls 8 pads. in about the same way as in (factory) preset 9??

mk4kc5cmc4@gmail.com wrote:-LED Feedback while playing MIDI clips, ie if I have a kick drum playing quarter notes, I'd love it if QuNeo would light up the kick drum pad in sync. I think this would make programming drum parts a lot more fun than a traditional step sequencer.

That would be very nice!!

About the Feedback: I don't know if it works but on the Launchpad it does. i make a (group of) midichannel(s) these midichannels take their signal from the (earlier) recorded channels and send it back to the controller.
mooncaine

Postby mooncaine » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:15 pm

mk4kc5cmc4@gmail.com wrote:-Full control of drum racks including scrolling - major bust here, if I have a drum rack with more than 16 samples in it and I scroll up with my MPD, the MPD automatically matches trhe pads visible on screen. QuNeo should do this as well.

-Full Level button like MPD. Yes, you can set it in the editor, but this is IMO a very useful button to have always available.

-A preset just like Preset 10, except mapped properly to drum racks as described above & which uses all 16 pads for drum rack control as opposed to wasting half of them on Impulse.

Stuff I'd love but understand is low priority:

-LED Feedback while playing MIDI clips, ie if I have a kick drum playing quarter notes, I'd love it if QuNeo would light up the kick drum pad in sync. I think this would make programming drum parts a lot more fun than a traditional step sequencer.

+1 all of these. You just described how I thought the Quneo on preset 10 would work with Ableton Live out of the box (from watching the videos, before seeing the product & manual, I mean). All seem like great ideas to me. If you can do them, swell.

Agreed that LED is least important.

Return to “QuNeo Feature Wishlist”