Question for y'allz about pad bank behavior

Share your wishes for the future of QuNeo
TheSupport@KMI

Question for y'allz about pad bank behavior

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:11 pm

So, we're going to be implementing pad banks (which is actually going to be more like transposition) and thought some input from users would be helpful:

If you were holding down a note, switched banks while you were still holding it down, then released the pad, what would be your preferred behavior?

a. The note continues and holds on (technically a stuck note)
b. The note continues and turns off when you release the pad
c. The note stops and turns off

Currently we're likely going for either 'a' or 'c'. 'b' is possible but requires a lot more coding as we would have to keep track of what notes were played, check if notes are on when a bank change happened, translate that to the new bank, etc.

The classic MPC/MPD behavior is to just leave the note hanging there. This could be good or bad. It will allow you to hold a note and then jam over it by changing banks, but it's also technically a stuck MIDI note and will not turn off until you go back to the correct bank and hit the same pad again. I imagine this behavior was likely just an artifact of older coding, but it's now turned into somewhat of a feature that people use in musical ways.

The Maschine seems to just clear all notes in the bank when switching banks (or 'groups' as NI calls them) — it sends 16 note off messages for the bank you're exiting. This is good in that you won't ever get stuck notes, but you also can't purposely hang a note and play over it.

Any thoughts?
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
zapblap

Re: Question for ya'llz about pad bank behavior

Postby zapblap » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:01 am

I'd go for C, I'd always found the stuck notes when changing octave annoying on my mpd.
But maybe you could implement a sustain button which, which when pressed in conjunction with a pad would cancel note offs when the pad is released.
kazakore

Postby kazakore » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:42 pm

Order of preference I would say is B > C > A personally.
alasnoaxis

Postby alasnoaxis » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:33 am

B>C and no A...melodic stuck notes are a drag most of the time

B is nice because you can sustain a tone then continue the flow right after a bank/patch change
machine_

Postby machine_ » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:58 pm

to me, Hanging the note appeals to me, im currently using this when switiching presets already.

also on pad banks, is it going to be like in my thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=692 ?

it would also be cool if rather than note transposition, you could have it keep the same notes, but change the midi channel.

KMI support rocks :)
kazakore

Postby kazakore » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:37 am

On a related note (well to do with Pad Banks.)

You say it's going to be more like Transposing, rather than full access to all the features of the pads. I can live with this as long as it's not a fixed 16 note transposition!

Why? The only drum map style one I have built and am using at the moment uses the pads in grid mode, with notes 0-3 on each pad, each pad set to channles 1-16. Reasons for this are the limitations of the software I use (Renoise) but it gives me a lot of flexibility for the cost of a fair amount of work. Pads banks I would want to be transposed up by 4 notes each, keeping the same midi channel, and available in grid mode.

Or preferably access to the entire range of functions for each layer (although you are getting close to a being able to set full presets through various banks then...)
TheAnimalRight

Postby TheAnimalRight » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:37 am

I'm a little late to the convo, but for my purposes (live playing of chords, leads/basses, etc), the best option is B, without a doubt.
rickywander

Postby rickywander » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:01 pm

Definitely the B option is the best. In alternative C or (if possible) the option to choose A or C.
Esptt

Postby Esptt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:35 am

When are the pad banks coming out?
My vote= deff B.
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:46 pm

Definitely B, C as second choice, A no.

Return to “QuNeo Feature Wishlist”