Presets from device to computer/editor

Share your wishes for the future of QuNeo
kazakore

Presets from device to computer/editor

Postby kazakore » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:02 pm

I have brought my QuNeo into work a couple of times and have worked on the Preset I use with it at home. Now I have connected it to my work's computer, started up the Editor and it shows the default Presets and not the one I have edited for it. Is there any way to get Presets from the device to the computer?

Surely it should automatically show the Presets as what you have on the connected device! Not whatever is stored locally on the computer. What if a friend brought their device for which they had made all the Presets they use themselves but decided a couple of minor tweaks were needed? Having to re-create the Preset from scratch is not acceptable!
kazakore

Re: Presets from device to computer/editor

Postby kazakore » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Also.

[s]On Win7 at work if I open the Editor first then my DAW software can not access the MIDI driver. If I open the DAW first and then the Editor they can both access it. Any reason behind this? And is it changable?[/s]

Scratch that, seems Win7 only sees it with the first program to access it too.

IIRC on my WinXP machine I never managed to get it to talk to both Editor and DAW at the same time...
Dr. Mysterium

Postby Dr. Mysterium » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:23 pm

+1 for this. All my Korg and Roland midi controllers have a 'RETRIEVE' Function in the Editor. Or in other words, It's the same as 'PUSH TO DEVICE' only the opposite way.

If you create a new template, push it to the device, but it crashes the editor (because it seems to conflict with other programs on occasion) you lose the save. So now you have the template you want on the Quneo, but you lost the save, and you can't 'RETRIEVE' it from the Quneo. And now you can't edit it, and you must start all over. FnA
hours lost = not good = bang my head on table

So +1 for this in an update.
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:58 pm

Moved to feature wishlist forum.

We're working on the ability to rip presets from the controller to the editor and think it's an important feature to have. For now I would make sure to save. And if you do save and your presets aren't remembered, then you have some permissions adjusting to do.

Also, meet the Export and Import functions.

And about your Windows 7 problems:
It's a well known issue that Windows will only allow one application to be connected to a class-compliant USB MIDI device at a time. We're not going to be writing a special driver for Windows as we want to remain completely class-compliant. There are far fewer conflicts and much more compatibility going this route.

Ever tried Digidesign drivers? Those are notorious for causing problems with everything.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
Dr. Mysterium

Postby Dr. Mysterium » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:20 pm

Really? I can push midi control parameter updates to my Korg KP3 (with it's Editor GUI), while it's connected to Ableton as a 'Control Surface' via USB and scripting, as with the QuNeo. No crashes, no conflicts from the KP3 Editor.
I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be able to on Win7.
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:42 pm

Yep. The KP3 requires drivers.
kazakore

Postby kazakore » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:32 am

TheSupport@KMI wrote:And about your Windows 7 problems:
It's a well known issue that Windows will only allow one application to be connected to a class-compliant USB MIDI device at a time. We're not going to be writing a special driver for Windows as we want to remain completely class-compliant. There are far fewer conflicts and much more compatibility going this route.

So it is expected with Class Compliant MIDI drivers on Windows. I thought that might be the case but couldn't find anything on Google when searching. I do want to control multiple programs concurrently from different presets so guess I am going to have to try going through some virtual midi cable program such as LoopBe...

Part of the confusion was I thought I had concurrent control from Win7 at work when I initially used it and then didn't on my WinXP machine at home. Retesting at work and I didn't seem to be able to get the parallel control from programs either so guess I was mistaken.

Is there any reason and should I worry about the fact it shows up as QUNEO on the Win7 machine but as USB Audio Device on WinXP? Surely a Class Compliant MIDI Device should show up as a USB MIDI Device, no??

PLUS, although I have exported my edited Presets I forgot again to either bring them on USB key or upload to my webspace, so the fine-tuning of them I was hoping to do at quiet moment at work today (here until gone midnight and it usually gets very quite after the late news) is going to have to be postponed. I do hope we see this feature soon! I had hoped I had just missed something obvious again, hence initially posting it in the general forum...
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:25 am

kazakore wrote:Is there any reason and should I worry about the fact it shows up as QUNEO on the Win7 machine but as USB Audio Device on WinXP? Surely a Class Compliant MIDI Device should show up as a USB MIDI Device, no??

Nope, no need to worry.

I don't really like speaking poorly about operating systems, but Windows is pretty dumb when it comes to Audio and MIDI devices. Windows XP will name every single device, audio or MIDI, as "USB Audio Device". They fixed the naming issue in Windows 7, but still didn't think it'd be a good idea to allow multiple applications to connect to a device at the same time.

Return to “QuNeo Feature Wishlist”