assignable midi notes for the LEDs

Share your wishes for the future of QuNeo
fingerdrummer

assignable midi notes for the LEDs

Postby fingerdrummer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:05 pm

dont know if thats possible and what programming effort it would be, but it would be great!
demcanulty

Re: assignable midi notes for the LEDs

Postby demcanulty » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:48 am

Haha, I dig your very polite feature request style! It would be great, I've spent a lot of time thinking about it. The right way to do it is with a ginormous look-up table that can be uploaded to the device, but I haven't found a way to do that yet that doesn't seriously eat into code space required for all the other features. The alternate approach is to trade off processing cycles to check each incoming midi message for a large variety of possibilities, but that starts to bog down the processor and interfere with responsiveness. So, in the interests of leanness and meanness, and generally being able to chow down on copious amounts of led instructions efficiently, we've had to keep the LED assignments limited to very efficient look-up tables. I am holding out hope for finding the time to do some post-graduate research into hash tables and see if I can come up with a way to reliably boil down all the thousands of possibilities into something small and flexible. If anybody reading this thread knows a lot about something applicable to this problem, I'll be excited to engage in low-level firmware talks about it :)
fingerdrummer

Postby fingerdrummer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:18 am

guess what - i don´t need it anymore :)

in my software (reaktor/usine) its easy to send the right message. just a bit of fiddling around. but i guess alot of DAW users are unable to get a VU meter on a fader ... or they need any utility in the midi path. but DAW isn´t for stage anyway.

and i did think its a big effort and a recource hug.

and politeness in a forum achieves better results mostly, as seen here ...
demcanulty

Postby demcanulty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:46 am

Awesome, I am glad to hear it!
r0mulus

Postby r0mulus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:48 am

Hi Demcanulty,
I'd like to second this request as well- was making a remote script for quneo/ableton the last few weeks and had to change my button matrix in python when i realized the output destinations were hardcoded to the device (and not knowing how to implement midi message transformation in python (yet)!).

To this end my suggestion is to implement a second layer of the quneo button editor, one for the device output values (Midi From Quneo) and another layer for the device receive values (Midi To Quneo). Seems like you might be able to roughly double the length of the entries in your config firmware to account for these extra destinations ?

I don't know how tough that would be to implement (python was tough enough for me to pick up) but it seems like it shouldn't be insurmountable for a team with requisite technical expertise such as yours.
mindbeet

Postby mindbeet » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:13 pm

Hi,
I like to second this request to.
At least there should be an option to have the LEDs follow the output.

Most other controllers do this and have the second value or velocities controlling the color.
LED feedback really is essential when using a midi controller as a programmer.

Even when using Traktor for instance it would speed up the process tremendously.
Juliflash

Postby Juliflash » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:45 am

Hi, I would like to second this request to... If not assigning any MIDI value to light the LED´s, at least allow for the LEDs to be controlled by the same MIDI value that they are sending...

Im using Quneo with my Hardware Sampler Elektron Octatrack and visual feedback would be absolutely fantastic, another game!!

Looking forward to it!

Return to “QuNeo Feature Wishlist”