Qunexus Arppegiator with Ableton

Zubben

Qunexus Arppegiator with Ableton

Postby Zubben » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:16 am

Hi guys,

I received my Qunexus today, amazing! I have been testing the different presets and getting used to the editor.
One thing I was wondering is how do you set up the Qunexus for the Ableton Arpeggiator.

From the videos I see that Velo B seems to activate it, but I can't map anything to Velo B, sorry if it is a basic question.

Thanks in advance
TheSupport@KMI

Re: Qunexus Arppegiator with Ableton

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:49 am

Just make a MIDI track with the input set to QuNexus Port 1. Then put the arpeggiator on the track.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
Zubben

Postby Zubben » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks for the reply, but I still don't manage to get closer to what you do on this video with the arrpegiator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oZGvjAiVyw

I never get my Velo B button to actually activate the arrpegiator, it never blinks like it does on the video, it simply does it's normal velocity function.
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:30 pm

Okay, that video. This was an early video and there may be some differences in current functionality.

Early on we had it set up so that the "function" buttons (Togl A, Velo B, Pres C, Tilt D) could output MIDI messages, so we were able to use it to turn things on/off. Now, these "function" buttons don't output MIDI and are hard coded to just perform their assigned duty — Togl A turns toggling on/off, Velo B turns velocity response on/off, Pres C turns pressure on/off, and Tilt D turns tilt on/off.

Also, in this video Velo B wasn't actually turning the arpeggiator on/off (it was on the entire time), it was actually starting the whole Live set (pressing the play button) and we set it up to blink along with the tempo (which is no longer possible).

If you want to set something up similar to this:

1. You'll need to turn off Local LED control (so the keys don't light up when you press them) — just open up the editor and uncheck the "Local" option in the LEDs Local/Remote section. Save and send the preset. Repeat this for any of the other presets you want this on.

2. Open up Ableton
3. Open Ableton's MIDI Sync preferences and make sure Track and Remote are turned ON for "Input: QuNexus (Port 1)" and just Track for "Output: QuNexus (Port 1)"
4. Create a MIDI track and drop the Live arpeggiator on it — this will be the track that controls the LEDs on the QuNexus
5. Set both "MIDI From" and "MIDI To" to QuNexus (Port 1) (sounds weird, but trust me)
6. Duplicate this MIDI track so you now have two MIDI tracks with the exact same settings
7. Drop whatever synth/instrument you want making the sounds onto this new duplicate track
8. Everything should be good to go now — the arpeggiating notes should be lighting up on the QuNexus and you should be hearing arpeggiated sound.

If you want the notes toggling like they are in the video, just make sure toggling is enabled (hold down the Togl A button until it lights up solid).

This method won't have an LED flashing along with the tempo, but everything else is the same.
Zubben

Postby Zubben » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:38 pm

Haa thanks for this reply,

Yeah what I was wondering was why I couldn't map my Velo B button, do you think you will add the option to map it again later on? Sounds like a good use of some of those buttons when they are not needed for their actual function.
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:47 pm

I can definitely add this as a feature request.

Not sure if it'll get in there though. I think the reason that functionality was removed was to prevent people from getting into a potential confusing situation. If you're sending MIDI to turn on/off those LEDs you might end up in a state where the LED is off but technically the function is on.

I suppose a way around this could be to have some new settings/options in the editor where you can either have the function buttons performing their intended function (on/offs for toggling, velocity, pressure, tilt) or just as separate customizable MIDI buttons — kind of like how on QuNeo you can have buttons either sending out MIDI messages or for switching banks.
Zubben

Postby Zubben » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks, yeah would be a nice addition, just a bit more freedom with those buttons.

But anyway thanks for the amazing product I am really loving it.

Return to “QuNexus General Discussion”