confused by Polyphonic Aftertouch

gkillmaster

confused by Polyphonic Aftertouch

Postby gkillmaster » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:26 am

Hi,

I'm fairly new to all of this and just now using the QuNexus for the first time. I'm having trouble figuring out a few things about polyphonic aftertouch.

First off, I'm used to aftertouch being at the very "bottom" of the key press but as far as i can tell, this is not the case with the QuNexus. It seems like it just assigns pressure to the aftertouch midi message. If this is the case, this means that the key response is the same as though you assigned a continuous controller to the "pressure" parameter of the keys. Is this the case?

Secondly, I tried experimenting with this using Zebra 2 presets and I can't get it to work reliably (probably because I don't understand what's going on). How is poly aftertouch sent. Is it actually a midi CC message? I assume the way I get the keyboard to send poly aftertouch is to assign "pressure" to "Poly After Touch" (in the editor)?

Clarification will be greatly appreciated since I can't figure this out on my own by trial and error...

Greg K.
gkillmaster

Re: confused by Polyphonic Aftertouch

Postby gkillmaster » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:44 am

by the way, is there a way to see what messages are being sent from the QuNexus? It'd be great to have a little graphic indication of events sent so you can get some visual feedback of what's been assigned...
maybe its already in the editor, I don't know...
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:42 pm

There is a way to adjust the poly after touch so that it only engages once you reach a certain point. If you open the editor and select 'Tables' from the hardware drop down menu it will bring up the table editor, where you can define 2 custom tables to be used.

Then you can map pressure to poly aftertouch in the keyboard layer and select the custom table for the curve of poly aftertouch.

As far as realtime feedback goes we don't have anything built into the editor or the board to give accurate realtime feedback. There is a great utility called Midi Monitor that will give you tons of information on what your QuNExus is spitting out.
gkillmaster

Postby gkillmaster » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Thank you! Great to know about the tables and MIDI monitor!
gkillmaster

Postby gkillmaster » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:19 am

I was able to get a pretty "familiar" after touch response (with the assistance of MIDI monitor) using custom curve with "exponetial" selected and min max values on Poly After Touch set to 110 - 127. The pressure feels good as it seems to sit at the bottom and I have decent control with the pressure without having to push too hard. Really nice. I like the way the custom curve sends changes to the keyboard as you're working. The draw function with the mouse leaves a little to be desired but so cool that you can do this at all...

I love this keyboard. thanks for all the help...
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:06 am

Yeah I agree the drawing is a little clunky, but anything with a higher resolution, or smoothness would give an inaccurate representation of the values that are being sent. Every message sent by QuNexus (other than CV) is standard midi which results in only 128 possible values.

Any higher resolution representation would be misleading.
gkillmaster

Postby gkillmaster » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:18 pm

why not just use spline draw with key points and quantize the values to 1 to 128?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:24 pm

That would of course look better, but wouldn't enhance the functionality in any way, so it seems like a superfluous addition.
gkillmaster

Postby gkillmaster » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:09 pm

I'm sure you are probably correct but then it makes me think there is something wrong with my draw capability. When I draw by hand, even if I go super slowy, many points get left behind and I have to redraw in a back and forth motion which make for a very uneven curve. I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or not.
gkillmaster

Postby gkillmaster » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:30 pm

I should add that drawing is much easier on my desktop with a mouse. I use this a lot with my laptop and using the trackpad is very clunky. Not so bad when you have a mouse and smoother motion as long as you go really slowly.

Return to “QuNexus General Discussion”