is there a tilt delay?

elmquist

Re: is there a tilt delay?

Postby elmquist » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:07 am

Thanks a lot, emmett@KMI! Its good to know!

Also, I saw some really deep postings about possible QuNexus improvements made by forum member ajaym. Really hope his analysis and ideas are taken into account when the next QuNexus improvements are being planned and implemented.
megawidget

Postby megawidget » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:04 pm

Dejay wrote:The tilt / pitch doesn't work at all like I hoped. First it ALWAYS seems to pitch up to the set value so it's not "analog" at all. I realize this might be impossible with the used sensors but this is what I bought the QuNexus for and what I didn't get.

The delay just adds insult to injury. If I wanted simple to play, I would have bought a standard keyboard.

I just got the QuNexus a couple of weeks ago, and the delay also has been bothering me. I have measured it to be at least 350ms as well which is already bad, but furthermore the response varies based on how lightly you move up and down the keys for some reason and doesn't trigger at all for a very slow glide. I'm sincerely hoping that both of these issues will be fixed in the next firmware update. My cello doesn't suffer from these defects and I'm sure I don't speak just for myself when I say that I would be comfortable with the ramifications of lower delay. :p

There *is* a solution to the skipping tilt, by the way. I thought it was a deal breaker at first and would probably have returned the keyboard, but turns out that if you send the tilt data as CC instead of bend it doesn't skip. I was... confused when I discovered this. Who *wants* their pitch bend to jump to min/max?

Another issue I've noticed is that when tilt data is sent over the keyboard layer -- either as bend or a CC -- you cannot set it to latch. The latch functionality is only available in the controller layer, which makes it essentially inaccessible because AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong) there's no channel for the octave up/down control, which means that if you were to latch in the controller layer you wouldn't be able to map it to the corresponding key. Once again, this is a design decision I am having great difficulty understanding. Do most performers *want* their pitch to immediately snap back to center during the release phase of their envelope? :shock:
catchy1

Postby catchy1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:11 am

megawidget wrote:Do most performers *want* their pitch to immediately snap back to center during the release phase of their envelope? :shock:

yes, having "snap back" as an option would be great too, that would be the next step.
Pongoid

Postby Pongoid » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:56 pm

Oh wait a second, I think people are asking for two different thing. One is not a delay, it is a lag generation, to create a smooth transition between values, and the other, is a delay in response.

One thing that can affect things like controller response times is the same buffer in your DAW. If you lower the buffer rate, you will decrease the delay between your adjustment, and its response in you DAW. The speed of your system is always going to be an issue. That's just how it is with software tools. Also, if you have pressure/aftertouch turned on, then that can also slow response time because while sending tilt, you're sending a ton of other CC info simultaneously. One of my presets is just tilts with latches, and it's pretty quick. Everything else is turned off, and it responds quite well.

HOWEVER, the Quneo is a pretty unique controller, and you do actually have to invest some time into developing your own tilting technique, by experimenting with sensitivities, and curves, combined with actually mastering your own touch to make it consistent. But the payoff is awesome.

Regarding a lag generator for certain things like returning to return values, that could be very cool!

Ape

Return to “QuNexus General Discussion”