Page 1 of 1

MIDI from computer to QuNexus to CV Out?

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:30 am
by Faldoe
I'm considering getting the QuNexus but after looking at the manual, I'm not sure if it can do what I'm hoping it can do.

I use Ableton Live. Can I create a MIDI clip in live and send the MIDI data to the QuNexus and have the Qu output that MIDI data as CV and out the Qu's CV output?

Also. Is it possible to do this and have the Qu working as a MIDI to CV converter and program the Qu's keys to not interfere with the passing MIDI info but trigger MIDI on a different channel?

I'd like the Qu to work as a MIDI to CV converted but also still use the Qu to trigger other VSTs in Ableton live.

Hope that makes sense.

Re: MIDI from computer to QuNexus to CV Out?

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:02 am
by TheOtherSupport@KMI
Faldoe wrote:I'm considering getting the QuNexus but after looking at the manual, I'm not sure if it can do what I'm hoping it can do.

I use Ableton Live. Can I create a MIDI clip in live and send the MIDI data to the QuNexus and have the Qu output that MIDI data as CV and out the Qu's CV output?


Yes, keep in mind that MIDI > CV this way can only take MIDI CC's and turn them to CC, no gate, or pitch.

Faldoe wrote:Also. Is it possible to do this and have the Qu working as a MIDI to CV converter and program the Qu's keys to not interfere with the passing MIDI info but trigger MIDI on a different channel?


Yes, this is possible. You'd just set the CV up only to listen to MIDI coming in through the USB, and not the keys.
Faldoe wrote:I'd like the Qu to work as a MIDI to CV converted but also still use the Qu to trigger other VSTs in Ableton live.

Hope that makes sense.


Makes sense, totally doable.

Re: MIDI from computer to QuNexus to CV Out?

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:02 pm
by Faldoe
So when midi is routed as I want it, that midi can only be CC CV and not pitch or gate?

Does the Qu do pitch and gate CV when using the Qu keyboard?

Re: MIDI from computer to QuNexus to CV Out?

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:06 pm
by TheOtherSupport@KMI
Hold on, I may have misspoke.

You CAN do MIDI -> Pitch CV and Gate. I was speaking of CV in -> USB MIDI.

The QuNexus can send Gate and Pitch from Live, and from the keyboard. You can listen to a particular MIDI channel for CV, so you could have clips in Live sending CV, and the QuNexus Keyboard only sending MIDI to synths in Live.

Re: MIDI from computer to QuNexus to CV Out?

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:39 am
by Faldoe
TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:Hold on, I may have misspoke.

You CAN do MIDI -> Pitch CV and Gate. I was speaking of CV in -> USB MIDI.

The QuNexus can send Gate and Pitch from Live, and from the keyboard. You can listen to a particular MIDI channel for CV, so you could have clips in Live sending CV, and the QuNexus Keyboard only sending MIDI to synths in Live.


Ok, I think that sounds like what I'd want to do:

Have MIDI clips in Live go through a set MIDI Channel, through the Qu and out the CV output.

And also have the Qu's keyboard MIDI set to a different channel which can trigger other synths in Live.

Re: MIDI from computer to QuNexus to CV Out?

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:08 am
by TheOtherSupport@KMI
Exactly. That should work well.

Let me know if you run into any issues setting it up!