Newbie: Can't get Softstep to respond in Ableton or Reaper??

Get help from other SoftStep users.
chumbo

Re: Newbie: Can't get Softstep to respond in Ableton or Reaper??

Postby chumbo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:28 am

That's very optimistic of you...I hope you're right 'cause it doesn't feel that way now nor did it a year or so ago. Anyway, if I can count on your help, I guess I will get there eventually! ;-)

Let me point out that I do experiment first with the SS, then search the forums and manual before posting questions, just so I'm not wasting anybody's precious time...just so you know.

So, I guess the fact that I can't reconnect the SS to the Editor in Standalone while I'm in my DAW is normal then? (ie the one MIDI device at a time in Windows issue you wrote about). I always have to remove the USB cord and plug it back in for it to be recognised (or I guess closing the DAW would do it as well but that's the less desirable option for me).
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:30 am

Yep, that's the cause of the issue, nothing wrong with your SS. That's just Windows silly MIDI implementation.
chumbo

Postby chumbo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:08 am

There's just one more important thing that hasn't been yet addressed in this thread, the problem I had described of the SS NOT reconnecting to the Editor. And I mean even without any DAW or MIDI application running at all. Just the SS and the Editors in either standalone or hosted mode. And I can then juggle every combination of unplugging, restarting the Editor, changing the order or boot (ie Open Editor 1st, then connect SS or reverse). And when that happens, the only thing that works is rebooting the PC!
But this will happen often, especially in Standalone mode of course where you make a setting in the Editor, then have to shut it down to run the SS in a DAW. If I then want to make adjustments in the Editor, I have to disconnect the SS for it to be able to reconnect to the Editor because of the Windows/MIDI issue. At best, I can do this 2 or 3 times and then the SS won't reconnect at all, only a reboot of the PC will re-establish a connection!?

FYI, I tried different USB cables and different USB ports. Anyway, I don't think it's a USB problem because the SS is recognised by Windows, just not by the SS Editors!

Really annoying, what's the solution? (posting this again because it's just happened now!! Will reboot while waiting for a reply...)
Thanks!
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:16 am

Sounds like a system issue. What appears in the Device Manager when the Ss isn't recognized by the Editor?
chumbo

Postby chumbo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:35 am

Well, that's kind of a hard question to answer...what appears in the Device Manager is...tons of stuff!? :?

What I can say though is that when it is connected, I have an SSCOM entry under the 'Sound, video and game controllers' section and a USB Composite that I've identified as being the SS under the 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' section because it disappears when the SS is unplugged.

Right now, I've just rebooted so I'm happy to have it working again and would prefer to get to work on it while it is staying connected so I'll let you know what's different from what I described above just as soon as it loses irremediably its connection again.

In the mean time, I've posted a new topic as well regarding volume control...if you've got the time to have a look ;-)
Cheers and thx again for the fast replies!
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:49 am

Yeah I was wondering you still saw SSCOM in your device manager when the device won't connect to the Editor. That's the MIDI port that the Editor looks for.
chumbo

Postby chumbo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:20 am

Ok, I'll post back here the results as soon as there in! ;)

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”