Remote Control Ableton w/ QuNeo....

wweber5@gmail.com

Remote Control Ableton w/ QuNeo....

Postby wweber5@gmail.com » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:34 pm

Hey yall, so there is an awesome feature in Ableton Live that allows you to assign a controller to automatically map itself to the first 8 macro knobs in an instrument rack... without using midi mapping. I've included a link to the forum that explains that here:

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=164575

Now I have tried doing that with the QuNeo but for the life of me, it just isn't happening. I'm starting to wonder if it is even possible. What I would like to do is use the 4 horizontal and 4 vertical sliders to control the macro knobs in instrument racks, preferably just using location data but if it would be possible to use pressure that could be cool too.

I edited the 1st preset in the Quneo Editor so that each of the sliders have their own specific location, put out cc data from 1-127, note and pressure are off. I've also edited the Ableton Remote script as per the instructions but the QuNeo still refuses to take control of Ableton. This is really frustrating, I've spent a good 4 hours trying to work out the problem to no avail. So, here I am. Dear internet, please help!

Has anyone managed to successfully do this?

Best,
Will
TheSupport@KMI

Re: Remote Control Ableton w/ QuNeo....

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:22 pm

Got it working just fine.

You need to make sure that "InputName:" is set to "QuNeo Input (QUNEO)" (without the quotes) and that "OutputName:" is set to "QuNeo Output (QUNEO)". Set Encoder1-8 to the proper CC numbers. You can ignore the "EncoderChannel" options (just leave them at -1) if they're all sending on the global channel (which they should be by default if you're using preset 1 on QuNeo).

Also, a very crucial thing is that the Instrument Rack itself needs to be selected for it to work (click on it). There should be a little blue hand icon in the device title bar — this represents which device is getting the remote control. You can even map some MIDI controls (or keyboard controls) to the device title bar so you can instantly jump back to that rack just by pressing a button.

I've attached a zip of the configuration I was using. I believe it should work for any default QuNeo on preset 1. Just unzip and drop the folder into your control scripts path and it should be good to go.
Attachments
Quneo_Auto.zip
Auto-map the sliders to the eight macro knobs on an instrument rack (using default preset 1 on QuNeo)
(2.26 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:25 pm

And that should actually work for things other than instrument rack macro knobs. Most of the Live devices have parameters that are automatically mapped in the same fashion.
wweber5@gmail.com

Postby wweber5@gmail.com » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:07 am

Wow, thank you so much. I will try this out as soon as I finished reading the manual for my new softstep and let you know when I get it up and running. Once again, thank you for the help.
mooter

Postby mooter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:13 am

The way I like to do it is having 2 user remote scripts mapped to the vertical faders.
One is Quneo A, the other is Quneo B.

Then I have bank switching on the vertical faders, so the first 2 banks handle Quneo A and banks 3/4 handle quneo B.

This can be handy if you want to lock Quneo A to one device and Quneo B to another device.
wweber5@gmail.com

Postby wweber5@gmail.com » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:59 am

Hmm I'm still not getting the Quneo to work with Ableton :(

Let me give you a little more information, perhaps it will help resolve this.

I downloaded the file you posted and put it in a folder called "QuNeo" It is located in (click on HD on desktop) then-> users/library/preferences/ableton/live 8.2.7/user remote scripts/QuNeo/UserConfiguration.txt

The "QuNeo" folder houses the script, I put the "QuNeo" folder in user remote scripts (next to the original file) as per the instructions. Also, since QuNeo Input (QUNEO) and QuNeo Output (QUNEO) are already inside the script I didn't need to change anything.

Ok, so as far as that process goes, I should be clipping along nicely without any problems. Script and Folder in their correct places (I believe).

Now let's talk about the Quneo Editor. As for preset 1, I have mapped the location of each slider within the editor so that Vertical Slider 1 is @ Location 0, Vertical Slider 2 is @ location 1 etc etc. I have turned off note and pressure for each slider. Vel/CC output is 127 for the top box and 1 for the lower box for each slider. Every slider is also on channel 1.

When I open up Ableton I go to my midi preferences and have selected "QuNeo". There are actually two possible "QuNeo" Tabs in Controller Surfaces. The first is the original "Quneo" and the second is (I'm assuming) the "QuNeo" that is created when I placed the downloaded remote script in the folder called "Quneo". I have tried selecting both possible controller surfaces. My input and output is always set to QUNEO and I have "Track" and "Remote" on.

I have double checked that all this info is right. I must be doing something wrong somewhere but I just can't find the weak link in the chain. So close to figuring it out... so close.... please... help.

YR FREN
Will
wweber5@gmail.com

Postby wweber5@gmail.com » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:17 am

hahaha I have no idea why... but I upgraded to live 9 and the problem magically dissapeared. Everything maps just like it is suppose to. WEIRD BUT AWESOME. Love////Me
wweber5@gmail.com

Postby wweber5@gmail.com » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:22 am

And just to contribute something... I've found that if you map an LFO from FM8 to a macroknob in ableton, you can get really precise with your wobbles. The benefit of having a slider over a knob is huge for wobble because it allows you to be much more precise and instantly jump to change the value. I think that editing the range of the macro knob down to about 3 different LFO speeds is best. Then by pressing the top, middle, and bottom of the slider you can precisely access the value everytime. Great for bringing a tactile element to building tension for drops. I mean automation is great... but the more you can 'play' it the more you can 'feel' it. At least that is how I view it coming from a background where I enjoy 'playing' instruments just as much as programing them. Much love.
wweber5@gmail.com

Postby wweber5@gmail.com » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:25 am

Man this is so FUNNNN GHAAAAA CAN'T TAKE IT MUST MAP EVERYTHING!!!!
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:59 am

Haha. Glad to hear it's working out now.

I made my version on Live 9, so maybe there are some minor differences between the Live 9 and Live 8 User Configurations files that make it not work for people on Live 8?

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”