SoftStep changing scenes by itself

Get help from other SoftStep users.
floridagizzi

SoftStep changing scenes by itself

Postby floridagizzi » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:47 pm

Hey guys, I have a problem.

I'm going to explain how I use/set up my soft step before I explain the problem. I think it will be easier to explain the problem that way.

How I set it up: I'm using the softstep with Ableton Live, using buttons 123, 678 to trigger different Ableton scenes. Buttons 4 and 5 are fader controls for pad sounds. Button 9 is turning on and off the click, and button 10 is set to global stop. I have 7 SoftStep scenes set up, each with the same basic layout of what I just described. Buttons 123, 678 have different CC settings on each SoftStep scene. Buttons 4/5/9/10 send the exact same data on each scene. Each softstep scene is called SNG1, SNG2, SNG3, etc.

The Problem: Softstep seems to be switching between its internal scenes at some point during the song. For examples, I'll start off SNG1 with a pad, adjust the volume to taste and let it roll, but at some point during the song the scene has changed to SNG2, or 3, or even 9. I'd really like for this not to happen if at all possible. The biggest problem (and this brings up a second issue): the faders I have on 4 and 5 don't keep the same settings across the softstep scenes, even though they control the same fader and send the same notes. So if I set the volume of a pad on SNG1 to about 78 or so, when the softstep changes scenes to SNG2 or 3, when I go to adjust the fader, it jumps to 0 and I have to bring the volume up from there. It really ruins the smoothness of transitions and fades.

I know this was verbose, but I tried to be as clear as possible with my problem. Hopefully it is just a setting/setup issue in the SoftStep Editor rather than me hoping to do something that is impossible. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would upload my Editor settings for you guys to check if I knew how :p

Thanks!
forrestfuzz

Re: SoftStep changing scenes by itself

Postby forrestfuzz » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:32 am

i only have ONE scene and it still "slips" so i loose all led feedback...
in the editor i un checked the change scenes button ...downloaded to softstep
everything was working fine UNTIL i unplugged the softstep...once plugged back in that setting was gone and it would "slip" .....i will post a video soon....the SS is the buggiest piece of gear i have ever used in over 25 years!
Carlosjr

Postby Carlosjr » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:05 am

Hi,
I have the same problem. The Softstep changes scenes by itself and is pretty useless right now. I'm using it with a custon mapping in Traktor. I haven't changed any of the settings on the Softstep. I have it connected directly to my MacBook Pro's USB-port. I also just tried updating the firmware. No luck. :x

Any suggestions? Trow it in the trash and by something else?

I havent used it for a while and I remember it used to work just fine....
gargas

Postby gargas » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:14 am

I find softstep to be a very nice piece of gear with a terrible software... Unfortunately KMI doesn't seem too interested in sorting it out... even the bugs, wich in my opinion is totally unnaceptable... but that's their call.

Although I make a completely different use of it as you (I use it for playing guitar) , I found the solution for my problems with the Bome Midi Translator. Might be worth to take a look.

I simply program the cc's values on the softstep editor. Then I switch to standalone mode and only use bome's software.

Through it I can recall presets, reroute and change midi values, have perfect led feedback (even if I unplug and plug the softstep again), create value progressions (for instance, ableton looper, with red led to record, green to play, orange to overdub, blink when stop, and "off" when clear) and the greatest bonus, You can have an orange light :) by forcing red and green leds to turn on simultaneously.

could be an alternative ;)
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:12 am

In regards to the unit changing presets on its own. Is this a sofstep 1 or a newer version 2 hardware?
In any case, adjusting the ON thresholds for the Nav pad can take care of the false triggering issues in some cases.

To the OP, you can export the preset, and attach that file to the forum post if you'd like for us to have a look.

The behavior you are describing (having identical CCs across presets have persistent values) is not currently possible natively. We have per preset state recall, meaning that the SS remembers values for CCs and other such data inside of each preset but not globally. I could see this behavior being advantageous in many use cases and I will log it as a feature request (although I'm not sure how tough it would be to implement that feature).
shaunbarlow

Postby shaunbarlow » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:38 pm

I just wanted to chime in and say that I've had the same issue as the OP: softstep 1 in standalone mode changes scenes without my pressing the East or West Nav buttons.

I've been experimenting with a few different values for the East and West ON threshold values and 100 appears to be a suitable value for preventing the phantom scene changes yet still allows my foot pressure to trigger the scene change.

Anyone else encountered this problem and/or have insights into it?

Merriment!

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”