External pedal weirdness - SS1 - Editor 2.2 - Win7

Get help from other SoftStep users.
unguitar

External pedal weirdness - SS1 - Editor 2.2 - Win7

Postby unguitar » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:29 am

Hi,
it looks like I am getting a very stange pedal behaviour.
Even after many calibrations my pedal keeps sending messages when in toe position, the consistency of its midi output makes it useless.
I am monitoring it through SSCOM in Miditrix and sending its messages to Audiomulch.
TheSupport@KMI

Re: External pedal weirdness - SS1 - Editor 2.2 - Win7

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:56 pm

What expression pedal is it? And would you happen to know the resistance of the potentiometer inside? 10K to 25K pots tend to work best. Also, is it a linear or logarithmic tapered pot? That can affect things as well. Linear is best for expression pedals, logarithmic is more suited to volume pedals.

And unfortunately, not all expression pedals are built the same.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
unguitar

Postby unguitar » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:25 pm

tried with three different pedals that are tested to work well with Gordius midi footcontrollers, Logidy usb switch, Eventide H8000fw and Tc Electronic fireworx.
I don't remember their values but I think it would be quite strange they work with all of the above and not with the SS.
I also tried a common Ernie Ball VP Junion 25k Ohm pedal with same unusable results.
Is my SS1 broken ?
ericzang

Postby ericzang » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:35 am

I've been away from my gear for quite awhile, so I don't have details now, but 2 years back I tried 4-5 pedals and nothing worked well. One of the pedals was the generally recommended Roland EV-5. There was a "compressed" range near the last third or so of values (around CC value 90-127). It would be fairly smooth 1-90, but above 90 would go very fast up to 127, over short physical range of motion. No amount of careful calibration would fix it. Other pedals performed worse in different ways. Some of these same pedals worked perfect in my novation SL controller keyboard.

I've tested on 3 different SS1s. Two were early production models, another about a year or so after I think.
unguitar

Postby unguitar » Fri May 16, 2014 2:29 am

I have just received my new SS2.
It is just amazing !!!
my compliments to all of you.

I was curious to check about the external pedal, so I downloaded my setup and found that it is still acting like my SS1, more in depth:
calibration looks like input sensitivty is more stable so the curve appears more solid and fluid, but this is maybe just an impression,
I got the same strange thing so that when pedal is down it keeps sending our cc messages from 0to127 and I can stop them just by bringing the pedal to up position.
unguitar

Postby unguitar » Fri May 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Even if I am using in standalone mode I tried to calibrate the pedal in hosted mode and I found something that I hope will bring some more light on this obscure situation.
When in hosted mode, after you have done the calibration, you can check how the pedal moves the horizontal line.
If I smoothly move the pedal from toe to heel and I can see the line getting completely empty, then it suddenly gets back.
This is strange and showing something wrong is happening: when the pedal reaches its lowest value it jumps back to the top.

I am sure the pedals ( three different ones) have a regular electric behaviour.
Calibrating them can create an almost linear curve.
Tried different jack adapters, tried to reverse polarities...

I am afraid something is set wrong somewhere.
Can you please help me understand where ?

thanks
SLP

Postby SLP » Sat May 17, 2014 10:00 pm

I was getting some issues as well though on mac.
I tried a few different expression pedals(moog ep 2, ev & custom 10k pot pedal), ss1 & ss2 though the SS2 was not giving me the same behavior( no expression just on off on the ss1). I wasn't able to calibrate either. I couldn't get a full range during calibration.

after trying a bunch of other stuff I deleted all presests and added only two presets that I needed and it went back to working. All ss1's were acting the same btw
unguitar

Postby unguitar » Sun May 25, 2014 1:34 pm

yes SLP,

i confirm that it looks like the problem is in the editor or in the way the hardware reads the editors' informations.
I am not able to track a precise routine to reproduce the bug ( I am on pc).

Will dive better into it soon, thank you very much for your suggestion, I finally have some new directions to explore to fix the problem.
SLP

Postby SLP » Tue May 27, 2014 9:19 pm

My issue might be to long of USB cable(over 12') and to many ss's.
I'm also using a powered hub so I've got a few variables to work out.i think we need to start a trouble shooting post for odd behaviours.
unguitar

Postby unguitar » Wed May 28, 2014 8:46 am

Hi Slp,
you can easily check if the cable lenght is causing this problem.

By my point of view it looks like the problem is in the software.

I don't know how many are having succesful results with external pedal, by the low feedbacks on this thread I wouldn't be surprised to know just a few SS users are having an external pedal connected with their SS.

and... how do we start a trouble shooting post ?

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”