Global/Virtual Presets

Share your wishes for the future of SoftStep.
rad3d

Global/Virtual Presets

Postby rad3d » Fri May 23, 2014 9:31 am

Many times, I find myself utilizing a specific preset on a button across several banks. For example, I use the softstep for controlling both Ableton loops, but I also have several presets on the upper buttons (6-0) set up to control our DMX lighting system. Those top row buttons need to stay the same across multiple banks. Right now, I have to recreate those presets for each bank. If I make any changes, I have to make individual changes to each preset on every bank.

It would be nice if you could define global/virtual presets that could be defined once, then reused across multiple presets/banks on the softstep. That way, a single update to a global preset would update all presets across all banks.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: Global/Virtual Presets

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri May 23, 2014 9:52 am

I agree that this would be a time saver for users. I have a similar scenario going on with my Softstep (buttons 1-5 stay the same over presets, but I change buttons 6-0). But what you're describing is kind of a 'half preset' which be a challenge to implement. Having a global preset that just references half the pads, seems like it would be a bit of a challenge.

I'll put this in as a feature request for any potential future update (I wouldn't hild my breath though seeing as we just released a complete overhaul a few months ago).
rad3d

Postby rad3d » Fri May 23, 2014 10:42 am

I'm not sure I'm as interested in a global upper row (that seems a bit too behringer mod like) as I am having individual global presets that I can reuse wherever I want.

This could either be handled as a completely different set of virtual presets, or could simply be references to presets on other banks. Regardless of how they're handled, any given preset would have the option to have its own control, or reference another.
elmquist

Postby elmquist » Fri May 23, 2014 11:04 am

I see two interesting ways to implement this feature:
(1) Allow the user to to copy part of a preset to another preset in the editor. Should be doable!
(2) Use the ideas of the QuNeo tool I am working on that translates short textual descriptions of presets into sysex format and allows a preset to be build on another preset. So one could create a base preset and make variations of that. Obviously that requires KMI to publish the sysex format for both SoftStep editions (and me to do a lot of hard work).
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri May 23, 2014 11:07 am

You can copy entire presets and paste them. Then modify the keys you want to change. Is this not an option for some reason?
elmquist

Postby elmquist » Fri May 23, 2014 11:12 am

Of cause cut&waste is an acceptable solution. I was simply stating ways beyond this manual process.
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Fri May 23, 2014 11:54 am

Version 1.1 and earlier actually had presets for individual keys, then the whole overall preset was called a "scene". Per key presets were removed for version 1.2 and on. It could be useful, but it definitely adds a whole other layer for people to get confused about.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
rad3d

Postby rad3d » Fri May 23, 2014 11:55 am

TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:You can copy entire presets and paste them. Then modify the keys you want to change. Is this not an option for some reason?

In my case, not really. I don't know that I'd want the whole upper or lower row global, so I may only decide to only use buttons 6-7-8 as global. If I'm using all 32 setlist slots, that's 93 additional copy/paste operations if I have to make.

What might be a good way to handle it is to define a single bank called 'GLOBAL'. Any button presets defined in this bank will automatically be applied to the same buttons on all other presets. If you try to edit those presets while a global setting is present in the GLOBAL bank, that preset will be locked.

Return to “SoftStep Feature Wishlist”