Must push keys twice to get Ableton Looper to React

Get help from other SoftStep users.
mehrdadp

Must push keys twice to get Ableton Looper to React

Postby mehrdadp » Thu May 23, 2013 8:02 pm

I am still somewhere far from the end of my journey in figuring the SoftStep configuration and programming. I am trying to control my Looper in Ableton. I don't understand why I have to push respective keys twice before the looper start recording or playback. Has anybody ran into this problem? I use SS while SoftStep Editor program is running. In other words, in hosted mode.
Ableton preferences is set as Softstep Share and "Remote" is only on. My Apple's IAC is on all across for Track, Synch, and Remote.
Would somebody know why I have to push keys twice?
Last edited by mehrdadp on Sun May 26, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacBook pro, OS 10.10.5, Apple Duet, Ableton Live 9, SoftStep 1 in hosted mode, Amplitube 4.
dhrray

Re: Must push keys twice to get Ableto Looper to React

Postby dhrray » Fri May 24, 2013 1:03 am

This looks like a toggle behavior. How did you set your modline in the Softstep editor ?
I think that you should have something like this for what you intend to do :
Source Foot On
gain: 1
offset: 0
Table: 1 Lin
min 0 / Max 127 / slew 0
Destination: Note Set
Note: whatever / vel: 127 / channel: whatever
mocker

Postby mocker » Fri May 24, 2013 5:51 am

You need 2 modlines for the Looper "Big button" to behave as it should. You then mimic a momentary switch.

Modline 1 :
Source: Foot On
gain: 127
min 0 / Max 127 / slew 0
Destination: CC xx
vel: 127 / channel: whatever

Modline 2 :
Source: Modline 1 Output
Table: Toggle
min 0 / Max 127 / slew 0
Destination: None

The trick was given by someone from KMI, at least a year ago, maybe more, couldn't retrieve the post.
Been using it in my setup, works perfect.

Hope this helps.
mehrdadp

Postby mehrdadp » Sun May 26, 2013 1:52 pm

dhrray wrote:This looks like a toggle behavior. How did you set your modline in the Softstep editor ?
I think that you should have something like this for what you intend to do :
Source Foot On
gain: 1
min 0 / Max 127 / slew 0
Destination: Note Set
Note: whatever / vel: 127 / channel: whatever

I used the same SS Editor #18 template as well as Ableton file that came with my Board. I have saved #18 "Live Looper Template" to an empty slot. rearranged and copied some of the keys "carefully".

The lights are not acting up correctly. although I think that is because I have edited another key and moved some anyways. However, that lighting should not be affecting the actual functionality of the modlines. My modlines are exactly as the factory.

I also tried your modline suggestion. thanks for that. but I think that it is more complicated than that in this case. SS is an awesome board, but not easy to figure out the tiny diligent functions in general.
MacBook pro, OS 10.10.5, Apple Duet, Ableton Live 9, SoftStep 1 in hosted mode, Amplitube 4.
mocker

Re: Must push keys twice to get Ableton Looper to React

Postby mocker » Mon May 27, 2013 7:12 am

Be aware you'll never have the leds reflecting Ableton's looper behaviour using the SS by itself. For that purpose, you need an app like BMT (Bome Midi Translator) with whitch you can program the leds as you need, with conditional rules and counters. Search my posts (mocker).

Again, I'm not sure you can mimic a momentary switch (necessary for the Looper's square multi-purpose button) without using my suggestion, invoking 2 modlines.
SLP

Re: Must push keys twice to get Ableton Looper to React

Postby SLP » Mon May 27, 2013 10:34 am

I use my set up as mocker has mentioned. (mocker thanks btw for the bmt post)
For performance I have my screen off to the side in view to make sure I've either reset or it's clear. not optimal but it works.
mehrdadp

Postby mehrdadp » Mon May 27, 2013 1:12 pm

mocker wrote:You need 2 modlines for the Looper "Big button" to behave as it should. You then mimic a momentary switch.

Modline 1 :
Source: Foot On
min 0 / Max 127 / slew 0
Destination: CC xx
vel: 127 / channel: whatever

Modline 2 :
Source: Modline 1 Output
Table: Toggle
min 0 / Max 127 / slew 0
Destination: None

The trick was given by someone from KMI, at least a year ago, maybe more, couldn't retrieve the post.
Been using it in my setup, works perfect.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mocker. I tried the two modlines you said and it worked. I now understand the second modline's purpose which is to toggle back to itself. This must have been the reason I pushed the keys on the board twice. I wonder now, why some of the other keys I map with Ableton, does not require a toggle back such as Play on the transport bar or the scene up/down in the arrangement view of the Ableton. They work with one push every time!
The problem I was encountered with was because I was simply using the factory Ableton template and SS templates which they go together. However, this factory setup for loopers are mapping the keys to the small buttons in the looper and not the "Big Square Button" in ableton looper. I earased the factory mapping and just mapped directly to the big square. Right now is working but I have to play with it a while before I completely understand it.
Meanwhile, I'll be traveling to Kauai for a couple of weeks for vacation. I will be away from my toys, which hearts. but I'll put this thoroughly into test to see how it is responding after I get back.
Thank you members for your caring and sharing.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 5.30.55 PM.png
This is modline now similar to what you've said.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”