Cannot save scenes from Hosted to Standalone

Get help from other SoftStep users.
Mike

Cannot save scenes from Hosted to Standalone

Postby Mike » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:34 pm

Hi Folks,
I'm new to the softstep and just installed the very latest SW (1.21) on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. The unit has VK2A FW. I've been through all of Sarah's various videos on saving presets. Nice work on these videos.
I found loopMIDI to solve the midi port mapping shortcomings in Windows. No complaints there and I don't think that has anything to do with my problem.
I am simply trying to edit a scene in hosted mode, then save it to standalone mode since that is the way I need to use this unit (controlling Ableton 8, 9 on this machine). I do not want to rely on the editor running when performing live with the softstep and Ableton.
When I attempt to "SAVE HOSTED TO STANDALONE" I notice that the "REPLACES" field does not change when I select various "SCENE LOCATIONS". I think this is the first clue that all is not well. I select a location, click save, and then get switched to standalone mode. At this point my new scene is not available in standalone mode so I cannot add it to a setlist, etc.
I can't pass go at this point. I hope it's user error. Has anyone else seen this? Any idea as to what might be going on?
I have not moved the relative locations of the softstep editor exe and the preset folder. All of that is exactly as it was when I unzipped the package. I just moved it all under program Files (x86) on my root/OS drive.
Thanks for any ideas! Is this working for other folks on Windows 7 64-bit?
Thank You,
Mike
Mike

Re: Cannot save scenes from Hosted to Standalone

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:50 am

Hi Softstep People,
I've tried exactly the same process on a different computer: Older XP SP3 32-bit netbook. I have the same problem - When saving from Hosted to Standalone the editor switches to Standalone but the new scene is not available to add to a setlist. It makes me think I'm doing something wrong but I've watched all of the instructional videos on this. Also, KMI support had one idea: basically making sure the folders are not read-only and that I'm running as admin. I've tried those things and there is no change.
I'm sad that it looks like I'll have to box this up and ship it back to Sweetwater. It seemed like the perfect solution for my needs! Maybe too good to be true...
Best,
Mike
dhrray

Postby dhrray » Wed May 22, 2013 8:18 am

Hi Mike,

I hope it is not too late for a reply. I do have the same problem. But it is still possible to configure the SS. Instead of doing it in Hosted mode, set everything up in standalone mode. The save function will work as far as you don t close the app or switch back to hosted mode. When everything is ready, set up the Setlist and hit the "Download" button. The SS will memorize everything. You can then close the app.

The only problem is that it is a pain to make small change of presets because you will have to redo everything from scratch.......
Mike

Postby Mike » Wed May 22, 2013 8:45 am

Hi dhrray,
When I was working with it I tried to see if I could live without working in hosted for developing patches and tweaking them. Maybe because I was learning Ableton Live at the same time that just seemed "impossible" or at least ridiculously twisted.
I was focused on using the application as advertised and spent a ton of time trying on different Windows machines and sending updates/reports to KMI Tech Support and they completely blew me off after the initial suggestion of working as admin and checking permissions.
I gave up and sent the unit back. BTW, Sweetwater's support was very good and went through the hoops of reproing the problem and reporting it to KMI but they blew them off as well.
I wrote up my experience in a review on Sweetwater's site.
It's good to know that at least one other person has the same issue. I'm impressed that you have a usable work-around that works for you. I'm still stung by the poor customer experience and will avoid their products until I start making music on the Apple. I assume you are using Windows?
Thanks so much for taking time to reply.
-Mike
dirk

Postby dirk » Wed May 22, 2013 2:49 pm

I think the problem may be there are many things that work great in hosted mode that are not supported in standalone. Also if you go anywhere near using more than a couple mod lines you will exceed the standalone memory quite quickly. I gave up on standalone long ago as I don't need a mobile rig. But even if I was gigging SS I would still use Hosted as they are several things there that are a must for me that standalone doesn't have.
Hey maybe you could hope for that software update they were promising last year. ;)
Good luck,
Dirk
dhrray

Postby dhrray » Thu May 23, 2013 12:04 am

Actually, even in hosted mode, the save "feature" behaves erratically.... With windows XP it was fine, but under win 7, it is a real pain. Anyways, I managed to get my scenes downloaded to the SS and from there I use Bome's Midi Translator to achieve whatever function I need.
Well, let's hope the software update will solve all these problems...

EDIT : After a quick discussion with KMI support, I realized that the SS app folder was in a wrong place. Indeed, Windows 7 changes path names in accordance with language settings. I was unaware of it. So, for french users, the correct directory is : C:\Programmes. Thank you Windows ;)

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”