Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

customization

Get help from other SoftStep users.
ineedhelp

customization

Postby ineedhelp » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:16 am

So I have been trying to figure out how I can customize my softstep for use in ableton live to control effects on audio tracks for now, and I am having little luck. I have started from one of the templates and have been messing around with the two editors, but I cant seem to get it working how I want because I haven't quite understood the modline setup yet :!: Can somebody please upload some screenshots, like ones on some other topics under this exchange to explain to me how I would set up the following conditions? :mrgreen:

I want to create, for a few different pedals, a latch (i think?) that goes on with a touch, that can control an effect (for example an eq) to be moved to certain parameters, and then stay where it is set. This seems fairly straight forward, but I can't seem to even get started on figuring it out, and I have had the softstep for a while. I would also appreciate it, if it can be conquered :x , to show how to function the pedal to set back to zero (original state of the effect) upon request, but if that is too much for one slot on the sofstep I will understand. I hope someone can help explain this for me and the forum, because if I can understand this, then I know it can be used for many different effects and will hopefully unlock a door for customization for me.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: customization

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:20 am

Try something like this:
Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 10.15.22 AM.png
To see how this works, set up an effect rack in Live with an auto filter in it. Map the frequency and the on/off switch to macro one. Adjust the mapping of the on/off so that it is on from 1-127 and off at 0 (min 1 max 127 in the mapping window of Live).

Open the Editor, run it in hosted, make sure you are listening to only the SoftstepShare port (or you user defined port if you are on Windows), enter midi mapping mode, click the macro. Step on key 1.

When you step on key one it turns the effect on and will move the frequency based on how hard you're pressing your foot. When you release your foot the value will latch (the quicker you release the better for accurate latching). If you wish to turn the effect off and reset the value to zero, quickly tap the key twice.

Let me know if this cleared some things up.
ineedhelp

Postby ineedhelp » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:10 am

thanks! works great!
gilsy

Postby gilsy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:42 pm

This is a great and very useful template but I'm not able to get LED following the dbl trig and showing the ON / Off state of the effect...
Any Help ?
Thanks !
gilsy

Postby gilsy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:06 am

When you step on key one it turns the effect on and will move the frequency based on how hard you're pressing your foot.
In fact, to get usuable values from 1 to 127 stepping on the key pad, you have to press right in the middle of the pad to activate only the center sensor of the pad ...
If you dont' press right in the middle, the minimal value is no 1 but 22 (?)

It is possible to check that when you test it with the finger, where you are able to be very accurate.

When you press with the foot, it's very difficult (impossible for me, at the moment), in a live situation to move from 1 to 127...

And I'm still unable to get LED signal On-Off for activation of the effect with Dbl Trig... Is there an other way of doing ??
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:25 am

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 10.21.55 AM.png
Try that configuration. It will turn the light off on the dbl trigger.
AS far as usable values, yes you need to step in the center of the pad to accurately trigger pressure. There is no 'center' sensor, there is one sensor in each corner of the pad (if on SS1) and one trigger in each point of the cross (if on SS2). Alternatively you can try setting your sensor response to Maximum instead of average, to be able to just read the highest value of any sensor as opposed to the averaging the response to simulate a center position pressure reading.
gilsy

Postby gilsy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:19 pm

Thanks !
I'm going to try and understand !
ineedhelp

Postby ineedhelp » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:26 pm

I have a different question now.

If I want to use the expression pedal (with a moog that I have verified works in ableton) to control knobs, can I use it to control multiple different knobs at once? I have tried to do this, but it is only effecting one knob. I have it set to foot on, then pedal. It works, but I want to be able to move to the next knob by clicking another pad assigned to that knob. Can you explain how to do this?

The attachment is what I have so far for two different knobs. It is only working for 6 and not 7.
Attachments
1111111.png
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:49 pm

Unfortunately that's not how the pedal modline works. If you have a pedal modline in your preset, it will ALWAYS receive the data from the pedal and pass it on throgh the modline. You can't dynamically turn one pedal modline off/on. If you want to use the exp. pedal to control different parameters, you'll have to set up different presets, or set something else up inside your DAW (if you're using one)
ineedhelp

Postby ineedhelp » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:27 am

i see... thats a shame

Maybe that could be a new modline command in upcoming software.. like a "pedal on" or something

I've been having some difficulty with pressure sensing again, which is why I tried the pedal. I cant seem to get the gain to be sensitive enough to touch. Is there some rule of thumb for creating sensitivity to turn knobs in ableton?

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”