Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Roland EV-5 expression pedal Problem!

Get help from other SoftStep users.
bramstad

Roland EV-5 expression pedal Problem!

Postby bramstad » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:00 am

Half a year ago I bought a Roland EV-5 expression pedal to use with my SoftStep in conjuction with Ableton Live.

Since ever, I have problems with the pedal:
The Softstep only "reads" the changes of the pedal starting from when the pedal is 75% up until 100% up.
From 0% down until 75% up, nothing is happening. It looks like it got worse over time, in the beginning it was from 50% til 100%. Now it's completely unusable.

I was just wondering if this is a Roland problem, or something with the softstep settings.
I don't have another machine / keyboard to test it on.
I believe I have calibrated the pedal correctly, many times.

Anyone knows more about this?
Thanks a lot.
SLP

Re: Roland EV-5 expression pedal Problem!

Postby SLP » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:07 pm

try midi monitor app to see when the pedal starts sending signal. If it is might need to take it apart see what the pots doing. Or then you know it is in your soft wear. Also check the dial on the side of the pedal.
emmett@KMI

Postby emmett@KMI » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:53 pm

I agree with SLP's advice. Check your 'volume' knob on your pedal because the behavior you are describing sounds like it would be consistent that knob being changed. It effectively raises the minimum range.

Let us know how it goes.
bramstad

Postby bramstad » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanks for the replies.

In MIDI Monitor, my pedal seems to be working OK.
During the whole range of the pedal, the midi messages are gradually going up/down.
In Ableton or the SoftStep controller, they still only start after about 75%.

I checked all different settings on the dial on the side of my pedal, but when it's at 0 it should be working, so I leave it at 0.

Since it doesn't seem to be the pedal, I'm really wondering what the problem is?
(btw, there is 1 other problem within the pedal though; when it's completely up, it doesn't stay on 1 velocity, it automatically keeps changing all the time between 0-1-2-3). This is also in MIDI monitor. However that's a different problem than the "range" problem which is the most annoying.

Thanks!
emmett@KMI

Postby emmett@KMI » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:30 pm

When you are using MIDI Monitor, is the expression pedal plugged into the SoftStep?

Can you share a screenshot of your modline window?
bramstad

Postby bramstad » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:45 am

Yes, when I checked with MIDI monitor, the pedal was connected to the softstep.

Here you can find a screenshot of the modline:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5m3z18cuig9og ... .42.40.png

BTW, Yesterday I had a collegue with the same Roland EV-5 pedal, I tested it on my softstep and it had the same problem. So it cannot be the pedals problem, but something in the softstep.
bramstad

Postby bramstad » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:09 am

Would be nice if someone has the answer soon for a gig I have to play next week :)
bramstad

Postby bramstad » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:09 am

I wish someone could reply with a solution a.s.a.p. because I have a very important performance next week and I need the pedal to work ... :(
bramstad

Postby bramstad » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:22 am

Update: I just figured out that if I let Ableton listen only to the "SSCOM port 1" midi input, my pedal works again! I have the full range again. 1 thing remains the same, I still get fluctuating midi messages when the pedal is on top, but not as much as with "Softstep Share".

Problem is, I need to use Hosted mode. Can anyone explain why my pedal is working with SSCOM port 1 and not softstep share?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:17 am

Why do you need to use hosted mode?

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”