Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

SoftStep 1 is not recognized by my iPad mini 2

Get help from other SoftStep users.
Axel

SoftStep 1 is not recognized by my iPad mini 2

Postby Axel » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:37 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to connect my SoftStep 1 to my iPad mini 2 via the CCK. I'm using a powered hub to which I also have a USB mic connected. The SoftStep powers up when I connect it to the hub. When I connect the hub to the iPad via CCK the SoftStep seems to reboot, the activity led at the hub lights up for a second or so then goes off. There is no error message on the iPad. The SoftStep is just not recognized by any CoreMidi apps.

I don't have the current firmware installed on the SoftStep, because I haven't seen any information about possible changes in the hardware midi implementation (switching between hosted and standalone mode, display control, led control). On the iPad is ios 8.

Some further info:

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" - yes
"Connected it without the USB mic?" - yes
"Tried a differenct USB cable?" - yes
"Tried a different USB midi controller with the same setup?" - yes, and it works with my LPD8
"Tried connecting the SoftStep directly without the hub?" - yes
"Tried a million different sequences of connecting devices?" - yes
"Does the SoftStep work with my desktop Mac?" - yes

Thanks in advance for other suggestions,
A
emmett@KMI

Re: SoftStep 1 is not recognized by my iPad mini 2

Postby emmett@KMI » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:58 am

I've heard a report form a user who said he had to upgrade to the latest firmware to connect to the recent iOS versions.

To do this, download the latest editor, once you connect your SoftStep, you will be prompted to update.

The later firmware is more stable and does not change usability.
Axel

Postby Axel » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:05 pm

Thanks for the reply. I updated the SoftStep firmware and... well, I still get exactly the same behavior as before. It's strange because usually the ipad complains if it doesn't recognize a usb device. In this case just nothing happens. Frustrating.
emmett@KMI

Postby emmett@KMI » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:13 pm

This could be a power issue. You could try a different hub or by powering your SoftStep through it's expander port with a USB-Mini cable.
Also make sure to use an official Apple Camera Connection Kit.
Axel

Postby Axel » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:59 am

Okay, powering the SoftStep externally through the Expand port makes it work (after updating the firmware). Powering the SoftStep through my Logitech powered hub does not. That's really strange, because in theory it should provide more than enough juice to power not only the SoftStep but my Zoom H2 as well. But that Zoom device also only works if I power it through a battery and switch it to audio interface mode before connecting anything to the iPad.

This is not the first time I'm thinking that usb is unprofessional crap and that Apple hasn't really been working very hard to make fringe stuff like ours work well on their idevices.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy a second usb mini cable to test if I can make the SoftStep and the H2 work together. If it does, I will have two externally powered usb devices conncted to a hub with a useless powering option and I will need at least 5 cables and adapters to achieve that.

It's time for a bluetooth midi expander for the SoftStep!

Anyway, thank you Emmet for your help,
A.

PS: Has anyone gotten a SoftStep 1 to work with an ipad using a powered hub only?

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”