Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

LED setup for SoftStep and Loopy HD on iPad

Get help from other SoftStep users.
depuratumba

LED setup for SoftStep and Loopy HD on iPad

Postby depuratumba » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum
although I've searched and read a couple of threads about it, I'm still a bit confused about LED possibilities with modline control...
I'm planning on using it to control Loopy HD on an iPad.
first of all, the ideal setup: no led when the track is empty, red while recording, green while playing, fast flashing when erasing, no led again when empty.
as far as I understand, there's no possible way to do this in the iPad (or at least not without a MIDI translator of some kind - I really don't know if there's such a thing for iPad, I've only had both for two days now)

so, on a more realistic side of things, I would be satisfied just to have 6 pedals (one for each loop) just toggle between green (empty/playing) and red if it's recording... fast flashing on hold would be nice.

I messed around a bit with different options, and I managed to do a few things, but now I'm stuck here (see attachment) - I made an INIT modline so it starts off green, then turns red... but I can't find a way to make it toggle back to green.

could anyone help me out with it? thanks!
Attachments
modline.JPG
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: LED setup for SoftStep and Loopy HD on iPad

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:57 am

You're very close with your setup. I've added a few things to accomplish what you wanted:
Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 10.53.32 AM.png
The green/red thing is simple: just assign one LED to true, and the other to false.
The Long trig is what I thought you meant by 'Hold'. If you hold the key down it will flash quickly an orange-ish color.
Keep in mind that your toggle will always switch state, so if you try to do the hold command, it will trigger the toggle as well. Depending on how that works in your software that may or may not be an issue.

To get your ideal setup would require some communication FROM the software you are controlling. Without that, it's impossible to get the kind of logic you'd want.
depuratumba

Postby depuratumba » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:03 am

TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:You're very close with your setup. I've added a few things to accomplish what you wanted:
Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 10.53.32 AM.png
The green/red thing is simple: just assign one LED to true, and the other to false.
The Long trig is what I thought you meant by 'Hold'. If you hold the key down it will flash quickly an orange-ish color.
Keep in mind that your toggle will always switch state, so if you try to do the hold command, it will trigger the toggle as well. Depending on how that works in your software that may or may not be an issue.

To get your ideal setup would require some communication FROM the software you are controlling. Without that, it's impossible to get the kind of logic you'd want.
hey, thanks a lot!
that seems to do the trick
yeah, I can't really use longTrig functionality unless I got feedback from the iPad... but I'm not sure that's possible with Loopy HD
I'll keep experimenting for other possibilities, thanks again!
depuratumba

Postby depuratumba » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:04 am

well, my happiness didn't last long... the problem with using Toggle table is that now in Loopy HD, I need to tap two times to send the message (Note)
I tried adding a dummy line before for LED action... but that doesn't seem to work.
I'm wondering if maybe by sending some other type of command (CC?) I can make it work? with Linear table it works as intended, but the light doesn't toggle... any ideas?

Also, I can't manage to send any message with the NavPad for some reason... it's assigned to a CC parameter, but when I press it nothing happens on Loopy (it should recognize the message so I can asign it to an action). Any idea of what might be the trouble?
depuratumba

Postby depuratumba » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:15 am

@TheOtherSupport@KMI could you help me out with that?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:31 am

Yes I can help, but generally not on Labor day ;)

Try this:
Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 11.29.05 AM.png
This is a 'dummy' LED modline above the modline that will send the appropriate MIDI message.
You could also use a toggle but set the Min and Max to 127.
It sounds like LOOPY ignores note Off messages for some of it's MIDI mapping.
depuratumba

Postby depuratumba » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:51 am

TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:Yes I can help, but generally not on Labor day ;)

Try this:
Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 11.29.05 AM.png
This is a 'dummy' LED modline above the modline that will send the appropriate MIDI message.
You could also use a toggle but set the Min and Max to 127.
It sounds like LOOPY ignores note Off messages for some of it's MIDI mapping.

niiiice, it worked!
sorry about that, I'm in Argentina so I was unaware of that :P
going one step further, is there anyway to make it go green again with a Long Trig? I have the Hold function asigned to "Clear Track" on Loopy... so if I hold it, it reads the toggle action first, so it goes back to red, and that can be a bit confusing... it seems unprobable that this is possible, but let me know :P thanks a lot!
btw, I also added a modline for "other key pressed" so the pedal goes back to green (if I start recording in another track without closing the first one - that one works just fine)
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:16 pm

You could do something like this:
Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 6.14.32 PM.png
But keep in mind that the long trig won't reset the state of the toggle. So if the key is green when you hold for the long trig, the light will turn red, then green. Then another press it will remain green, then red etc.
depuratumba

Postby depuratumba » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:21 pm

TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:You could do something like this:
softstep.JPG
But keep in mind that the long trig won't reset the state of the toggle. So if the key is green when you hold for the long trig, the light will turn red, then green. Then another press it will remain green, then red etc.

you're awesome! I tried something similar before, but I think I always end up messing the LED options :P
so... I've gone this far and it's ALMOST perfect... I just can't figure out if there's a way to solve one little issue I'm having:
softstep.JPG
if I hold the pedal, it turns green. BUT I have to tap twice after the LongTrig to turn it red again. I might be doing something wrong, or maybe I'm asking for too much?
similar thing happens with the "other key pressed" modline - example: if I press button 2 whithout using a Long Trig on button 1, it turns red as expected. If I do a Long Trig on button 1 right before, it needs to presses.
This would be the last thing to the perfect setting :)
thanks again for helping me out!
depuratumba

Postby depuratumba » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:06 am

@TheOtherSupport@KMI do you know if there's any workaround to my last post? otherwise I'll probably just go back to simplest option to avoid confusion
thanks!

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”