Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

First impressions and problems

Get help from other SoftStep users.
coffee

First impressions and problems

Postby coffee » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:20 am

So, just received this... possible gem. My first impression is not so good since I`m having trouble getting this set up and missing some logical steps. I could use some help, and I`ll update this post with some new findings. Hopefully to get other users started a bit faster.

The good:
- feels solid, while still small.
- long usb cable.

The bad:
- software, been fumbling for 3 hours, still not totally clear when to use what.
- had to restart 2 times already to make the device work again, maybe because im running all applications and just trying things.

Software:
This is how I look at it now after reading the manual, posts on the forum and trying on my own.
- advanced editor:
- standalone: you upload your settings, close the advanced editor and can run your fav DAW and assign stuff.
question, if you want to edit settings here, is it needed to close the DAW, start editor, edit, close editor, start DAW or is there a workaround?
- hosted: you make your settings, keep the editor running and start your DAW.

- basic editor: is this like the standalone or hosted mode? i cant get neither to work.

- keyworx, i can start the program, it says the firmware is out of date.
question: I guess this is deprecated and unsupported since 2001 and all functionality is replaced by the basic and advanced editor?

What I want to do:
My main interest is looping with ableton, via the audio looper and by recording and playing back midi tracks. (i play keys and sing)
What i`ve seen so far is that my best option would be to invest time into the advanced editor.

So, using the advanced editor, i took the keypresses as template, put all on channel 2 so it doesnt interfere with my key playing. On ableton on the clips that i want to record, i put channel 1 input only. Further make sure that input is selected in midi settings. The softstep script is not needed, but you can use it if you want to make use of the transport template.

I assigned 1-5 to scene 1-5.
assigned 6-10 to arm track 1-5.

now i can control a 25 grid, 5 instruments, 5 scenes.

ableton related question: even if i set up arm exclusive (arms only 1 track at a time) with the pedal i still can arm 2 tracks. Is there a way to turn this off?

question: when i want to add multiple assignments to 1 footpedal key. Like: foot on -> B, long trig -> C Dbl Trig -> C#
When i want to do a long trig, it works, it plays a C, but is there a way to prevent B from playing. That it waits and makes 1 choice: either it is long pressed and plays a C or short pressed and plays a B, not both.

question: should i be using somehing else the keys, so instead toggling or CC? the most buttons i use i want to do on and off, but with toggling i have to press a footpedal button 2 times to enable it, then 2 times to disable it.

question: what are good practises / handy options to make the selecting of clips and scenes more dynamically? I`m thinking about using my launchpad (8x8 grid midi) for arming tracks. then using the footpedal navpad up and down for selecting scenes and 1 buttong to playing the selected scene...

Sorry for the long post, just want to learn this baby fast :)
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: First impressions and problems

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:26 am

coffee wrote: The good:
- feels solid, while still small.
- long usb cable.
Yes it is solid, and small. Be careful of the long USB cable. Don't use it for transferring presets, or updating the firmware. In some cases, this can cause issues.
coffee wrote: The bad:
- software, been fumbling for 3 hours, still not totally clear when to use what.
- had to restart 2 times already to make the device work again, maybe because im running all applications and just trying things.
3 hours is not a lot of time to learn some software, it gets easier, I promise.
Had to restart what? Your computer? Or just replug the SS?
coffee wrote: Software:
This is how I look at it now after reading the manual, posts on the forum and trying on my own.
- advanced editor:
- standalone: you upload your settings, close the advanced editor and can run your fav DAW and assign stuff.
question, if you want to edit settings here, is it needed to close the DAW, start editor, edit, close editor, start DAW or is there a workaround?
- hosted: you make your settings, keep the editor running and start your DAW.

- basic editor: is this like the standalone or hosted mode? i cant get neither to work.

- keyworx, i can start the program, it says the firmware is out of date.
question: I guess this is deprecated and unsupported since 2001 and all functionality is replaced by the basic and advanced editor?
You're more or less on point here. THe question about closing the Editor despnds pon your OS. If you are on Windows, then you need to close ALL OTHER MIDI applications to use the Editor (or connect to any MIDI application, it's a bummer with Windows). If on Mac, you don't need to worry about this.
Basic is always 'standalone' you send your settings, and then connect to your application of choice.
coffee wrote: ableton related question: even if i set up arm exclusive (arms only 1 track at a time) with the pedal i still can arm 2 tracks. Is there a way to turn this off?
That's an Ableton bug.
coffee wrote:question: when i want to add multiple assignments to 1 footpedal key. Like: foot on -> B, long trig -> C Dbl Trig -> C#
When i want to do a long trig, it works, it plays a C, but is there a way to prevent B from playing. That it waits and makes 1 choice: either it is long pressed and plays a C or short pressed and plays a B, not both.
No. The SS can't wait and decide what you are going to do. If you have a messages assigned to a foot on source, when your foot hits the key, it sends that message. Use Double Trig if you want multiple 'triggers' from one key.
coffee wrote: question: should i be using somehing else the keys, so instead toggling or CC? the most buttons i use i want to do on and off, but with toggling i have to press a footpedal button 2 times to enable it, then 2 times to disable it.
Some elements in Live only listen to ON messages when mapped to notes. So the toggle off is ignored, and it waits for the next ON message to change states. The track mutes for instance. Use CCs instead of notes in this case.
coffee wrote: question: what are good practises / handy options to make the selecting of clips and scenes more dynamically? I`m thinking about using my launchpad (8x8 grid midi) for arming tracks. then using the footpedal navpad up and down for selecting scenes and 1 buttong to playing the selected scene...
You don't want to use the NavPad for that. You can't really in Standalone Mode. It is mostly a preset changing mechanism.
We have made a few scripts from our projects page that have session navigation, and scene/clip launching. I also made a M4L device that can attach to another script (the Launchpad for instance) and control it's session highlight box, and launch scenes within that box. You should check out the projects page: http://www.keithmcmillen.com/projects/
If you want the control to be dynamic, you'll have to do some coding, use one of the tools we've made, or find someone to create that functionality for you via a MIDI Remote Script.
coffee

Re: First impressions and problems

Postby coffee » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:04 am

Thanks for the answers and push in the right direction with the scripts. Dont have a lot of time for it this weekend, but I`ll make time for it soon :)

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”