Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Ableton & SS2 Nav L<>R

Get help from other SoftStep users.
EnjoyRC

Ableton & SS2 Nav L<>R

Postby EnjoyRC » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:48 am

I'm having an issue in Ableton Live v9.6 after touching the Nav L<>R on the SS2.
MIDI settings; Input: SSCOM (Port 1) TRACK & REMOTE on (everything else off)

1. I plug in SS2
2. I start Ableton Live v9.6 on OSX v10.11.4
3. I can tap a few buttons on the SS2 and I can see Ableton receiving them
4. I change the SS2 up or down a preset
5. Ableton no longer receives MIDI from SS2
6. I return to the original preset on SS2, still nothing
7. Leave Ableton running, unplug the SS2, plug it back in
8. MIDI is received again
9. Change preset on SS2, gone again

Any ideas?
Live Setup:
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.12.x, MOTU UltraLite mk4 & micro lite, Push 2, SoftStep 2, NI Maschine 2
Ableton Live Suite 9.6, M4L 7, Logic Pro X
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: Ableton & SS2 Nav L<>R

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:32 am

Its an issue in 10.11.4 actually, one that we heard about yesterday. I am inclined to think that its actually a problem on the OS side and not the SS, as the device works flawlessly on all other versions of the OS. Rolling back to 10.11.3 will fix the issue.
EnjoyRC

Postby EnjoyRC » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:32 am

TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:Its an issue in 10.11.4 actually, one that we heard about yesterday. I am inclined to think that its actually a problem on the OS side and not the SS, as the device works flawlessly on all other versions of the OS. Rolling back to 10.11.3 will fix the issue.
So for a temporary work-around, I'm thinking that I need to set PRESET 1 to the settings that I need by default. That way, when the SS2 is powered up, it defaults to PRESET 1 and I'm all set.
Live Setup:
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.12.x, MOTU UltraLite mk4 & micro lite, Push 2, SoftStep 2, NI Maschine 2
Ableton Live Suite 9.6, M4L 7, Logic Pro X
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:58 am

Or performa firmware reinstall everytime you power cycle the device.
mocker

Postby mocker » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:37 am

TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:Or performa firmware reinstall everytime you power cycle the device.
Yeah right, that's what I noticed could work too. Extremely annoying btw.
mocker

Postby mocker » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:43 am

I must add something here. The "bug" is similar here but slightly different. It only occurs if I unplug the SS. Restarting Live, replug in, restart the session etc. does nothing. Only workaround then is to restart the Mac with the SS plugged in. Or, like we said, reinstall the firmware. Important : no problem for me changing presets.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:50 am

Im sure it is annoying, but this is only present on 10.11.4, something changed on that OS update, and it's not clear yet if we should address this in our firmware, or if this will be addressed by Apple. It's not only affecting our devices, so it's a USB thing with the newest version of OSX.

We're looking into it.
mocker

Postby mocker » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:55 pm

OK thanks.
gilbertplantinga

Postby gilbertplantinga » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:11 pm

Actually, it's a lot more than annoying, whether it's Apple's fault through the OS update, or something that can be fixed in the firmware. I have projects dependent on the SS and my Mac; and while I'm glad that I have older Macs that I could bring back into play so as to regain the usability of the SoftStep, I can't imagine where I'm going to find the time to migrate my current work back to one of those machines. This needs fixing now.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:59 am

gilbertplantinga wrote:I have projects dependent on the SS and my Mac; and while I'm glad that I have older Macs that I could bring back into play so as to regain the usability of the SoftStep, I can't imagine where I'm going to find the time to migrate my current work back to one of those machines. This needs fixing now.
As a musician who uses a computer, you must know by now that updating your OS always comes with risks. I am still running 10.10 for that reason. Until you are sure that all of your gear/software will work, it's best to hold off on updating as soon as a new version of the OS is released. And be prepared to roll back if anything like this pops up.

Apple has released 10.11.5 to beta testers, so an official release is on it's way, but I'm not clear if this issue was addressed. Again, it's still not clear on whose end the fault lies, but we are actively looking into it. rolling out a new firmware version isn't as easy as 'fix it now'.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”