Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

softstep 2 sometimes doesn't respond

Get help from other SoftStep users.
slatepipe

softstep 2 sometimes doesn't respond

Postby slatepipe » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:37 am

hi

i'm using my ss2 with ableton 9.6, windows 7, in hosted mode. it seems that if i don't use it for a while, ten minutes or so (i haven't timed it yet) then it no longer responds to presses from me. it still says it is connected and the USB has the power saving thing disabled, so that isn't the issue either.

can anyone offer any advice?

thanks
Briggy

Re: softstep 2 sometimes doesn't respond

Postby Briggy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:39 am

Hi Slatepipe, Sorry for the delay - haven't checked in here for a while.

I had a similar thing happening (standalone mode not hosted) with a win 7 system.
What happens with me is that after about 10 mins or maybe a certain number of key presses, Ableton no longer responds to the SS2.

BUT

once I tap keys repeatedly for say 15 to 20 times, Ableton responds again and usually doesn't drop after that. Kind of a pain but at least I have it working. :|

Ableton or SS2? Therein lies the rub.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:53 am

Briggy wrote:
Ableton or SS2, or Windows, or the USB port/cable?
Fixed it for you ;). Most likely a windows or usb port/cable issue. The SS doesn't just stop sending MIDI, so the connection deop is probably somehwere else in the chain.
slatepipe

Postby slatepipe » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:21 am

hey thanks - yeah it's been ok for the last few weeks. hopefully the problem is resolved

meanwhile - can i point you to this question i asked in the maxmsp dev forum ? :

http://forum.keithmcmillen.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=530

i want to send midi cc's to the softstep to change letters in the display. from what i understand, this has to be done in standalone mode using SSCOM port, but i use the softstep in hosted mode to use midiyoke

am i understanding correctly? do i have to send midi to the SS in standalone only and if so then how do i communicate from the SS - laptop using another method apart from midiyoke?

thanks
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:59 pm

On windows, you have to b in standalone mode.
slatepipe

Postby slatepipe » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:39 am

hi - i'm using windows but i've been running it in hosted mode for the last two years. i just figured out swapping my presets over to standalone mode and changed my ports from midiyoke to sscom last night.

it now works fine, or seems to, and i can send info to the display using mfl down the sscom port

i seem to remember there are some advantages or more functions available using hosted mode....am i right in this or mistaken?

thanks again for any info
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:46 am

Yes, there are a few more sources available, but nothing that couldn't be emulated in M4L.
Unless you are using Hosted Specific sources/features, use standalone mode, especially if you want to send any MIDI to the SS for display/LED control. Windows MIDI drivers are still lame and don't allow MIDI devices to send/receive MIDI information from more than one application at a time.
EnjoyRC

Postby EnjoyRC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:05 am

TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:Yes, there are a few more sources available, but nothing that couldn't be emulated in M4L.
Unless you are using Hosted Specific sources/features, use standalone mode, especially if you want to send any MIDI to the SS for display/LED control. Windows MIDI drivers are still lame and don't allow MIDI devices to send/receive MIDI information from more than one application at a time.
What about on a Mac (Sierra 10.12.x)? Do you suggest Standalone over Hosted? I've been experiencing the SS2 losing communication with the Advanced Editor after a short time of no use. I have to unload and reload the Advanced Editor for them to reconnect.

What are the "Hosted Specific Sources or Features" that would require Hosted?
Live Setup:
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.12.x, MOTU UltraLite mk4 & micro lite, Push 2, SoftStep 2, NI Maschine 2
Ableton Live Suite 9.6, M4L 7, Logic Pro X
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:54 pm

I always recommend using Standalone.
Make sure you have the latest version of the Editor 2.0.3
The differences between Hosted and Standalone are detailed in the manual. But the big ones are more sources (top, bottom,some others), and the Nav Pad is much more flexible.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”