Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

StringPort alongside another interface under OS X

Get help from other StringPort users.
spk

StringPort alongside another interface under OS X

Postby spk » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:27 pm

Dear KMI folks,

I'm interested in using the StringPort + Guitar Rig, on a Macbook running Snow Leopard, to replace my VG-8EX.

I mainly use the VG-8EX to allow me to switch tunings in the middle of a song (sometimes triggered by footswitches, sometimes by sequencer automation), and to provide FX and amp modelling. I figure the StringPort - or at least, plugins operating on the hexaphonic signal the StringPort would input to the Macbook - could handle the tunings, and Guitar Rig could handle the FX and amp modelling. This would be a weight off my back, and it would probably also provide better integration with my sequencer.

This raises a couple of questions:

1. In order to simply input a hexaphonic guitar signal into my sequencer, would the StringPort without bundled software be adequate to work as described above? (At least, assuming I could use a VST pitch shifter on each string's signal, where necessary, to create alternate tuning patches.)
2. If not, then:
A. Would I be able to switch patches in the StringPort software from my sequencer?
B. Is it possible to disable all parts of the StringPort software except the minimum necessary for alternate tunings, to reduce the load on my Macbook's system resources?

- -

On a slightly different note, I would want to be able to have slightly more I/O going into & out of my sequencer (Cubase or Reaper), while using the StringPort, than the StringPort provides on its own. I haven't settled on my main interface yet, but it will probably be a PreSonus FireStudio Project. This brings up more questions:

3. Is it OK to have another audio/MIDI interface running simultaneously with the StringPort?
4. If so, would it be better to have a FireWire or USB interface?
5. Are there any problems to be aware of (e.g. sync problems between the clock of the StringPort and the clock of the other interface) and if so, how would you suggest solving them?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

- spk
Keith
Head Honcho

Re: StringPort alongside another interface under OS X

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:19 am

Hi,

As you know, we already have several apps (PolyFuzz, Smack) that do pitch shifting so this will work for you right away. We can send each of these to your workstation using our SP Remote core audio driver which comes with Full Suite.

The bare hardware will work to get each of the 6 strings into another application but I have to admit we do not test this feature outside of our application.

Keith
Keith
Head Honcho

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:21 am

cont...

You can switch all of the presets in all of the apps singly or in groups from a footswitch or sequencer.

The StringPort plays pretty well with other Core Audio device - not so good with Pro Tools which seem to want to run the neighborhood - so most other I/O works just fine.

Kieth
spk

Postby spk » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:44 am

Hi Keith,

Thank you so much for the helpful replies. Seems I should do as follows:

1. Test some existing lower budget pitch-shifter plugins to see if I think their tracking quality & speed are adequate for string retuning. If not, then I'd have to go for the Full Suite StringPort.
2. Ensure that any interface I might want to use alongside the StringPort has CoreAudio support. I'm guessing this is so that the StringPort and any other interfaces can be combined into an aggregate device; please correct me if I'm wrong.

Task 1 here brings up another question: if a user buys just the StringPort hardware, can (s)he upgrade to the Full Suite by buying the software at a later date?

Thanks again!

- spk
Keith
Head Honcho

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:30 am

Hi -

I believe you have it right.

There are some great pitch shifting VSTs out there. Watch the VST Wall demo on our site by Al Ayoub and I believe it shows what he is using for shifting.

One (he or she) can always upgrade by just paying the difference.

Thanks,

Keith
spk

Postby spk » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:53 am

Excellent; thanks again, Keith!

- spk

PS. A little hard to see from the video, but it looks like Alan's using MDA Detune. I'll add that to my list to check out.
khushfehmi045

Postby khushfehmi045 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:41 pm

We already have several apps (PolyFuzz, Smack) that do pitch shifting so this will work for you right away. We can send each of these to your workstation using our SP Remote core audio driver which comes with Full Suite.
Cut down your exam stress by using our latest cert killer and high quality 642-980 and Brain Dumps.com . We provide updated exam sheets with 100% pass Thomas Aquinas College

Return to “StringPort Users' Help Exchange”