Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

triggers in osc?

Get help from other KBow users.
alex

triggers in osc?

Postby alex » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi,

a brief introduction as I guess I will be posting regularly. I'm a viola player based in Mexico City. I have had the kbow for a while but only recently I updated to an intel computer, so now I'm actually able to use it. I will be using the bow for both improvised music and collaborations with composers.

The first project I'm working on is a piece by composer Iván Naranjo, for viola and Supercollider. What we are trying to do is quite simple (or so it seemed in the beginning) - use the grip triggers to activate processes in SC, and the hair sensor and accelerometers to modulate parameters of delays and pitch-shifts (in SC, too). The second part seems to be working fine, but the thing with the grip-triggers (double and long grip) we don't really know how to go about. Does anyone know how to get the triggers to send 0's and 1's through OSC, instead of the raw grip data from 0 to 4096 (and what commands these arguments are sent to)? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Apparently (i know this belongs to the feature wishlist) there should be OSC outputs for the triggers in the midi/osc routing window. Or is there another solution?

Greets!

Alexander Bruck

Appendix: in case anyone is familiar with SC, here are two samples of code, stripped down to the relevant information - the first one (example A), that doesn't work, is the code using the Long_Grip command route as indicated in the OSC-monitor. The second one (example B) is the code we were using for test purposes ,to print out the x_accel values to SC, and this works just fine, provided OSC dump is on.

//example A

~respGrip = OSCresponder(nil,
                               "/KBow/Long_Grip",
                               {| time, responder, message |
                                var oscCommand, trg;

message.postln;
                                oscCommand     = message[0];
                                trg            = message[1];
                               }).add;

//example B

~respX = OSCresponder(nil,
                               "/KBow/X_Accel",
                               {| time, responder, message |
                                var oscCommand, trate;

message.postln;
                                oscCommand     = message[0];
trate          = message[1];
                               }).add;
Keith
Head Honcho

Re: triggers in osc?

Postby Keith » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:50 pm

Hi,

When designing the K-Data app we asked a lot of people what they needed (assuming they were writing their own application) and everyone said "Just give me the raw data". So this is what we did.

Extracting triggers from a smoothly changing grip pressure is rather straightforward. You can do a simple threshold with some hysteresis. A couple of timers and you have long and double.

Sorry not to be more helpful, but we put most of our efforts into data gathering and the K-Apps suite. You are the first to ask for this "middle ground" functionality. I will keep your request in mind.

-Keith
alex

Re: triggers in osc?

Postby alex » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:29 pm

Hello Keith,

thanks for your reply! Yes, we suspected the solution would be something like that and are (or rather - the composer is) working on it. The first "K-bow version" of the piece, Zona 2.11, will be premiered next week, on the 16th, in Buenos Aires. I will be posting about that experience later, in the tips + tricks section. If there's anyone interested I can also post the final version of the patch there.

Alex

Return to “K-Bow Users' Help Exchange”