Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Nav Keys Programmable

Share your wishes for the future of SoftStep.
Phil

Nav Keys Programmable

Postby Phil » Tue May 14, 2013 12:37 pm

Nav Keys as designed do not work for me.

I would need to see these keys be as programmable as the other pads.

Why not allow those Nav pads to output clear Note On and Note Off messages?

Number one reason I picked up this device... and number one disappointment :(

FIX IT !

Phil :)
unguitar

Re: Nav Keys Programmable

Postby unguitar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:45 pm

agree
Dave

Postby Dave » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:30 am

also agree... stated in wish list last autumn.
NoFi

Postby NoFi » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:29 am

Yeah that's pretty much what made the softstep unusable for me in standalone...
With the mid nav pads, i would have been able to use bome midi translator to recreate the scene function as an alternative to the not so reliable and memory hungry editor.
DaveDraper

Postby DaveDraper » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:50 am

Just my 2 cents' worth....
What these guys are asking for is not, as they say, rocket science. Whether you're using ram-hungry max/msp, c++, or, eg, bidule (as I am), the navpad is just like any other pad - it puts out 4 CCs; whatever else it does is down to how the software deals with them. In the KMI case it appears the software, far from enabling the SS to achieve its potential, is actually hobbling the hardware.
I'm a rank amateur when it comes to hacking together some software, & using someone else's software to do so (sound familiar?), but my navpad works just the same way as any of my other pads, & is configurable to put out note on/offs, program change, continuous control or CC toggles; there's no difference between them, other than the physical separation of the 4 CCs as four buttons! Having given us that versatility in just the one pad, it's been taken away in the software!
Maybe the SS mark2 could have 11 pads physically configured as 11 sets of four buttons........& the software to match?
Dave
NoFi

Postby NoFi » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:29 pm

It turns out you are correct, i had missed this information.
Tip: In Standalone mode there is a way to turn off scene changing and instead just get pressure data from each corner. In the settings window you can tun Scene Changing on or off.
Set this to off and you will get pressure coming in on CC #s: CC 80 (left side), CC 81 (right side), CC 82 (top), and CC 83 (bottom).
If you do decide to turn scene changing off but still wish to be able to change scenes on your SoftStep you can
do this by sending program change messages to your SoftStep.
See the Sending Program Changes to the SoftStep chapter of this manual for more information.
DaveDraper

Postby DaveDraper » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:24 am

Well spotted Nofi, I hadn't got this far with the KMI software before abandoning it! Only for standalone mode though, which is less versatile than hosted; still, useful.
Dave
Lid55

Postby Lid55 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:49 pm

with SS1 and the new editor ... I couldn't get this to work... turning off SceneChanging didn't give me the four different CCs. I'll test it again, just to make sure, and allow for a computer restart, but not hopeful. Anyone else experience this?
DaveDraper

Postby DaveDraper » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:24 am

I just tried this & couldn't get it to work either! Having said that I'm not very familiar with standalone mode, since I've never used it. But I couldn't get any Navpad messages from the SS1 or SS2, in standalone mode, with scene changing off, the expander port connected, on Port 1 or port 2 in Midi Monitor.

Neither could I find the source of the original "Tip" quoted! But it does seem to be more about external control of scene changing than wringing the raw CCs out of the Navpad. Whatever the possibilities, I don't see any way of using those values through the KMI software. The original SS1 firmware defaulted to raw CCs when it was first connected, but ever since I've had to load an 'Init' setting to mine, before closing the software & booting up PB, then I get just raw CCs which I can (almost!) manipulate how I want.

FWIW I've been working on yet another update to my PB editor/controller for the SS2 (or SS1), which I'll post on the PB forums when it's 'finished' & better documented; meanwhile I don't see a lot of willingness to take this issue on board & provide versatility in the KMI editor, only further simplification of what appears to be a majority view of how to use such things - ie a setlist of presets/scenes of instant configurations. After four years' wait there are already folks complaining about the physical layout of the SS2, still customers dissatisfied with the software, so I don't see many people waiting four more years for a Softstep3!

Dave
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:51 am

For Hosted mode you can always just put a single preset in the setlist. It won't change scenes if there's nothing to change scenes to.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073

Return to “SoftStep Feature Wishlist”