Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

sequence of events on one button

Share your wishes for the future of SoftStep.
gzap

sequence of events on one button

Postby gzap » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:53 pm

Would it be possible to add sequences of events to the softstep programming?

For instance, running a looper in Live, I'd love to be able to sequence the buttons to reflect the looper actions

step 1 -press 1 - send midi note 'x' and turn LED red (for recording loop)
step 2 - press 1 again - send next sequence (note 'x' again) and turn LED green (for loop playing)

then every subsequent press of 1 goes back through those two steps in sequence.

And ideally (not easy I expect)
step 3- press 1 twice quickly (sending same midi note 'x') and softstep realizes you've stopped a loop and goes back to step 1 turning off the LED.

That much programming would allow you to program loopers the way they are quite often done these days (Live and Mainstage).
I'm sure there would be other uses.

Logidy does this really well with their UMI-3 pedal and software.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: sequence of events on one button

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:10 pm

You can already send different messages for one press, and double presses (double trig in the Editor).
As for the LEDs, if all you're looking to do is reflect the state of a Looper via the LEDs it would be more practical to setup a M4L device that monitors the Looper, and sends the proper MIDI message to the SS to control LED state (which I have setup for people a few times).

that being said, you COULD set up a modline like this to kind of get what you're after.
Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 5.08.32 PM.png
I say kind of because I doubt that the internal state of this modline will match up with the state of the looper at all times. That's why I suggest tying the LED behavior directly to the looper state. If you don't do that it's easy to get the two separate logic structures to remain in sync.
gzap

Re: sequence of events on one button

Postby gzap » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:35 am

That makes sense. Even programming a sequence would still make the softstep run blind. Its a bit more programming then I'd like to do, but maybe I'll give it a try.

I'm in rehearsal for a dance/theatre piece playing classical guitar and prepping the software side, still moving between running Live or Mainstage and/or Qlab on a softstep 1, which I really need to swap out for the new version. The lack of a button in the middle of the switches misses triggers too often. I should have done the upgrade when the softstep 2 came out, oh well.

Return to “SoftStep Feature Wishlist”