Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Microtonality

Share your wishes for the future of StringPort
yinbell

Microtonality

Postby yinbell » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:53 am

I would like to see microtonality implemented in the Stringport 2.

Being a part of a 1700+ member facebook group about microtonal scales has learned me that there is an increasing interest in microtonal scales.

However the music hardware of today is fixed to just one of these scales: 12 equal divisions of the octave.

This scale offers endless modulation but the thirds and sixths are pretty sour. If you make the fifths slightly narrow it will hit a major third that is closer to the ideal 5/4. This is called a meantone tuning. Meantone fretted guitars exist but why would you want a special guitar for this when you have Stringport?

Stringport would let you set the deviations from 12 equal in cents. A meantone fretted guitar would be fixed to just one good key but with the Stringport you could play in all twelve keys with purer major thirds and therefore better sounding chords.

If I had a Stringport I would play in 19 equal. This tuning has better thirds but also offers a range of other regular temperaments like Magic, Hanson or Hogzilla. Yup these novel sounding temperaments exist but noone can play in them without physically making a guitar to play in them. I would probably use a 19-edo guitar running through a Stringport to optimize the notes to conform to good sounding thirds and sixths. But if used a fretless like Dweezil Zappa I could play in every conceivable exotic scale.

Since Antares is reluctant to implement microtonality in their Autotune for Guitar floor processor citing low demand you will have an edge on the competition. How can you demand something you don't know exist? If you could replicate the functionality of the ATG like guitar modelling, virtual capos etc but open everything up to third party developers their product would be a closed one and your product would be an open one.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: Microtonality

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:20 am

Stringport 2 is still in development, so I will definitely pass along the request.
yinbell

Re: Microtonality

Postby yinbell » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:29 pm

Thanks. Here is a link to the microtonal Facebook group I was talking about if you need any advice on how to implement this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/xenharmonic2/

Return to “StringPort Feature Wishlist”