Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

SS2 for Looping in Live: Toggle/LED for Rec/Overdub/Play

Show off your SoftStep tricks here.
Faldoe

Re: SS2 for Looping in Live: Toggle/LED for Rec/Overdub/Play

Postby Faldoe » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:52 am

Thanks, I overlooked that Min value.

Everything works great, and I used CCs to engage effects.

Does each effect have to been controlled by a different CC number? Like midi Notes? - 2 parameters both mapped to the same value will both trigger, right?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:13 am

If you map one CC# to multiple parameters, yes they will both change.

In Live, you can map a single CC to multiple Destinations, but you cannot map multiple CCs to one destination.
mocker

Postby mocker » Tue May 12, 2015 8:45 am

I'm reading this thread a bit late, but I just want to add that you CAN use Live's big button and still have the leds follow its behaviour. Use Bome Midi Translator and some conditional rules and you'll get exactly what you want. That is use the same pad for several operations such as 1st press record, 2nd press overdub and 3rd press play.

I guess TheOtherSupport will make fun of me :-) but if it can help, why not mentioning BMT - again - ? It definitely boosts the Sofstep's power by 10.
gargas

Postby gargas » Wed May 13, 2015 2:10 am

Right mocker ;)

And if you use the midi chart from the following link, instead of the official chart printed in the manual, you have access to a third led color (orange), which happens to be the exact color from ableton's live looper overdub:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=530

If you mix this chart with BMT, as mocker suggested, you can have the softstep with the same color behaviour as ableton's live looper: single pad with red led for record, green led for play, and orange led for overdub

worth to try
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed May 13, 2015 4:05 am

You can do everything you can with BMT inside of of Live with M4L, with much tighter integration.

"It definitely boosts the Sofstep's power by 10."

In this case 'IT' can be any software that allows conditionals,counters, and user defined data translation. Max, Puredata BMT etc.
BMT aint free, so it's not the ideal solution for these problems in all cases, as you two would have the world believe ;)
mocker

Postby mocker » Wed May 13, 2015 5:06 am

Yeah you're probably right, but I feel very intimidated when opening Max. Maybe you could help us start with very basic examples ?
And BTW I'm not interested in the "world" to believe BMT is great ;) Just want to share my experience when people seem to struggle with the same limitations I had to deal with, when trying to achieve more complex setups than just 1 pad - 1 task. They might not know of that particular solution and want to give it a try, even if that implies buying another app.

Meanwhile, seriously, I would love to dig into other solutions like M4L when I have time and get an idea how to start.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed May 13, 2015 5:58 am

I'd be happy to post some examples of ways to use M4L to interface the SS with Live and Live devices.
Let me know of somethings you're curious about, and I'll whip up some patches when I get the time.
mocker

Postby mocker » Thu May 14, 2015 1:25 am

Thanks. Well then, to start with, just how to use Live's looper and send back the right led info to the SS. I know which CCs to use - as I've bee using the complete midi implementation chart for a while now - it's just about which M4L tool to use and their logics. So I can start diggin' myself…
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu May 14, 2015 8:29 am

Here's an example of controlling the LEDs based on Looper state. No mapping involved, no setting anything up. This device has two controls, one for selecting the track you have a Looper on, and one for selecting which pad on the SS will receive the LED data. Since this is tied to state of the parameter in Live, it will never get confused if you interact with your mouse, your the SS, or another MIDI controller.
I've commented pretty much all the code in the device, so feel free to open it up, and let me know if you have any questions.
Attachments
LooperLED.amxd.zip
(6.26 KiB) Downloaded 740 times
mocker

Postby mocker » Sun May 17, 2015 5:02 am

Thanks, just tried it, brilliant ! Even with the mouse, that's a big step forward. That opens a lot of possibilities. Do I need a complete version of Max to change some parameters ?

Return to “SoftStep Tips and Tricks”