Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

0-based Program Changing

Show off your SoftStep tricks here.
Macciza

0-based Program Changing

Postby Macciza » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:54 am

Hi All,
Some devices uses 0-127 to represent patches 1 - 128 - My Roland VG99 being one of them.
Using the Program Change Scenes supplied with SS gives a 1-128 system
Selecting pad 1 sends PC 1 but selects patch 2.

Easily solved by adding a minus 1 offset to the NavY x 10 & Key line.
Only now the display shows PG10 for VG Patch 11.
Solution: Add a second Nav Y x10 & Key modline (without offset) destination = none and select it for data monitoring.
Now the SS Pad sends PC 0 (1 -1) but displays PG 01 due to the second data line.

Hope that makes sense and helps some people out.

Cheers

MM
KMI StringPort_1650, SoftStep_VK2 v1.2 & MIDI Expander; Mac_Moore Guitar,
Roland VG 8, 88 & 99, YamahaVL 70m; OSX 10.6.8, iMac i7 2.8G QC; MaxMSP 5.1.8, Ableton Live 8.2.2, M4L, SC3, QC, cSound, etc, etc,
mocker

Re: 0-based Program Changing

Postby mocker » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:01 am

Excellent trick, for sure.
I'll probably use it while controlling my Eventide Time Factor.
Ammo

Postby Ammo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Well, this is a problem I have been having, but opposite. Or so it seems.
My synth's first patch is 1, not 0. 0 is the MIDI PC command that produces patch 1.
Pressing 0 on the SoftStep gives me patch #1 (when the SS is sending on bank 1 of 8 banks).
So my PC for the 1 key on the SS should have an offset of -1. OK that makes sense. (But I don't understand the Nav Yx10+1 command).
How do I "select the second NavYx10&Key line for data monitoring"? This is not in the manual.
Do I have to do this for each PC, for each pad, or is there a universal offset command available for all program changes?
There ought to be.

Second problem: since my (Roland AX-)synth has 8 groups of 32 patches, the total 256 patches are accessed via MIDI by using Bank Select commands, e.g. CC00 (Bank 1 Select) Value 87 (MSB, meaning manufacturer ID), CC32 (Bank Select Part 2) Value 01 (LSB, Bank 2 Select), followed by PC #, say 1 - this would be the first patch in the second bank (i.e., Group 5, Patch 1). Is this beyond the SoftStep's capabilities? Or can I re-map individual PC numbers, as you suggest in your posting? Would it be possible to create a second scene of 128 PCs, so each could contain the Bank Select message?
Or, more useful, forget about 0-127 and create new scenes for every song. It would be nice to have more than 4 characters in the SS display matrix,in such a case.
I shall experiment.
Ammo
Macciza

Postby Macciza » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi
Do same basic steps on another modline - but with no offset and no midi output
Then select it as the modline that drives the display.
One line to change the channel, one line to show the info

CCs can be done by seting up multiple lines as well, this was discuss at length somewhere on the forum.

Cheers
MM
KMI StringPort_1650, SoftStep_VK2 v1.2 & MIDI Expander; Mac_Moore Guitar,
Roland VG 8, 88 & 99, YamahaVL 70m; OSX 10.6.8, iMac i7 2.8G QC; MaxMSP 5.1.8, Ableton Live 8.2.2, M4L, SC3, QC, cSound, etc, etc,
Sumer

Postby Sumer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:56 am

Hi,

This is exceptionally decent and wonderful post.
I am very happy joined this forum.
I like it exceptionally much....!!!!

Thanks alot...
Usman

Return to “SoftStep Tips and Tricks”