Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

SoftStep Scene Librarian for Version 1.1 BETA 2 (MAC)

a posting board for news and links to new SoftStep software releases
SarahKMI
KMI Moderator

SoftStep Scene Librarian for Version 1.1 BETA 2 (MAC)

Postby SarahKMI » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:04 am

Hello SoftStep users!

We made a BETA version of the new Scene Librarian. We thought we'd go ahead and make it available but if you decide to download this and give it a try be sure to back up all of your preset folders and follow the instructions in the short manual included with it. Realize that it is a beta version so you may experience a few issues.

When you download this make sure to put the application file in the SoftStep directory with your SoftStep application file and preset folder (which will be used as your destination folder). The preset folder should be named "Presets" and contain a Hosted and Standalone folder. The Scene Librarian is not compatible with earlier versions of the software.

Here's the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?g7350szsfyzisq8

*Make sure to wait until the application has fully loaded, indicated by the Hosted mode switch turning on. This may take over a minute to fully load.

Thanks, let us know what you think!

-Sarah Howe
mocker

Re: SoftStep Scene Librarian for Version 1.1 BETA 2 (MAC)

Postby mocker » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:07 pm

This is very strange. There used to be another topic earlier in the day announcing the Librarian BETA 2, but it disappeared. I took time to explain in detail what was not functionning with it, but my post is gone with the wind. A bit discouraging.

So, here I go again : when I open it, as soon as I've clicked Open, I get an endless loop (dialog box where I should be able to choose the right folder) and I have to force quit. Thanks for the help and please don't erase my post.
danny
KMI Moderator

Postby danny » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:58 pm

mocker wrote:
> This is very strange. There used to be another topic earlier in the day
> announcing the Librarian BETA 2, but it disappeared. I took time to explain
> in detail what was not functionning with it, but my post is gone with the
> wind. A bit discouraging.
>
> So, here I go again : when I open it, as soon as I've clicked Open, I get
> an endless loop (dialog box where I should be able to choose the right
> folder) and I have to force quit. Thanks for the help and please don't
> erase my post.

Hi mocker,

The Scene Librarian takes about 1.5 minutes to load unfortunately, the way we were able to design this preset librarian will not allow for a quicker load time. Apologies for this, but there is no way around the long load time without a completely ground-up redesign of the application.

If you give it around 1-1.5 minutes to load after opening, the beach ball will eventually stop and the Hosted mode button will turn on, signifying the app has fully loaded. Then you are free to open your "source" folder which is the presets folder you wish to grab individual scenes from.

Make sure once you have added the scenes you want, you press the "save new" button which will write the new preset file automatically.

Hope this makes sense, sorry for the confusion earlier.

-Danny
Tom@KMI
KMI Moderator

Postby Tom@KMI » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:08 pm

hello mocker,

Tom@KMI, forum admin/moderator for KMI here.
I accidentally deleted the first "SoftStep Scene Librarian Beta 2" thread earlier in the day.
Subsequent to this, your post was deleted.

Apologies for this, it was not intentional.

In the spirit of transparency, here is the entirety of your earlier posting:

from mocker:
>>"Still doesn't work. Now I see the GUI appearing, that's some progress, but as soon as I click open sources, I get an endless loop (the wheel of death) when trying to choose the right Scenes Folder (inside the dialog box).
Endless loop as well if I 'forget' to choose Hosted or Standalone before clicking Open sources.

In any case : unusable as is…

The fact I can't even go past the first user operation, really makes me wonder on what kind of Mac configurations you're testing software. Well, I'll try it on my Macbook later today or tomorrow. I'm on an iMac 27 for the moment."
<<

Thank you for your interest in the Scene Librarian and for your assistance at this Beta stage.

best-
-Tom@KMI
Kaspar

Postby Kaspar » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:35 am

danny wrote:
> The Scene Librarian takes about 1.5 minutes to load unfortunately, the way we were
> able to design this preset librarian will not allow for a quicker load time.
> Apologies for this, but there is no way around the long load time without a
> completely ground-up redesign of the application.

That is quite a lot...
I assume it'll be the same with the windows version?

I remember from the REAPER forums, people started wondering if something is wrong with their system or with the latest version of the program, when some had start-up times over 10 seconds instead of the regular 5.
mocker

Postby mocker » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:24 am

I agree. I already said so in a private message to Danny.

I think it is way too long and all those vague explanations won't dissipate an impression of unfinished, premature software. I'm including the main application which takes about the same time to load (at least 40 minutes).

Let' be clear, I'm not bashing KMI at all, but strongly wishing they re-consider their developing choices. Softstep is a great footswitch, we love it and I think it deserves same level software.

Return to “SoftStep Releases and Announcements”