Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Updated jk.softstep abstractions

a place to share your patches and get help with the Max/MSP Dev. Kit.
Jeff

Updated jk.softstep abstractions

Postby Jeff » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi there, for those interested, I've recently updated my softstep Max abstractions. These are made with all standard max objects, so you can tear them apart and use just what you need. Includes improved LED handling. Also on the page you will find a beta of my looper that uses the softstep abstractions…switches between synchronous and asynchronous looping.

http://jeffkaiser.com/max/
armonico

Re: Updated jk.softstep abstractions

Postby armonico » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:43 am

Dear Jeff,

thank you for your abstractions they are very useful and work very well. I'm using them as a starting point setup using ableton/looper/max for live/max. I can't use advanced editor because I needed to receive messages from ableton looper to set ss leds.

I appreciate a lot your solution because it is standard open max that I can read and modify.

I found them as the most updated things around.

Is there a way to set key sensitivity without using ss_cooking from sdk?

Have a nice day,
Arm
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:17 am

armonico wrote: I can't use advanced editor because I needed to receive messages from ableton looper to set ss leds.
Not sure what this means exactly - you can send the SS MIDI messages to set the the LEDS if you use the Advanced Editor. Be it Standalone or Hosted. That doesn't affect the way the SS interprets incoming MIDI messages.
armonico

Postby armonico » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:40 am

Hi, I'm sorry I have not been clear enough.
I meant that in looper ableton audio effect I midi mapped record button with ss n. 1 button.
The same record button has this functions in looper:

first press: record
one press: overdub
one press: play
one press: overdub (and so on)
two fast press: stop
long press: clear

I wanted to map different led messages from ss with different looper state. In this way I can know what is happening whitout seeing computer monitor.
In this particular need I understood that standard editor was not the right tool. So I started a max for live patch to track ableton looper, send its state over network 127.0.0.1 (same computer) to a max patch where I made all I needed thanks also to Jeff abstractions to let ss to show me with his leds the state of looper, in my case 5 loopers. All is working fine as I need.
Am I wrong on something?

So If I am not wrong, my question is: is it possible to set ss sensitivity from max without ss_ccocking of sdk?

Thank you,
Arm
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:58 am

In this particular need I understood that standard editor was not the right tool.
Well of course not, because you want information from Live to control the LEDs. That doesn't mean you can't configure the SS in the Editor though. Just because you need to go outside of the Editor the the external LED stuff, does not mean that you need to completely abandon using the Editor. For your particular use case all you need is one M4L device. You don't need to do everything from within Max.

Why do you need to send messages via network to a max patch? Do all that stuff within the M4L path. It seems you are overcomplicating things a bit.

You can't set the sensitivity directly from max. Sensitivity is basically as scaling factor. If you want the keys to trigger more easily lower the on thresholds in the Editor

Not sure why you would need to adjust the sensitivity from max anyway - why not just use the Editor to dial in your settings? Do you need to adjust sensitivity in real time?
armonico

Postby armonico » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:03 pm

because you want information from Live to control the LEDs. That doesn't mean you can't configure the SS in the Editor though. Just because you need to go outside of the Editor the the external LED stuff, does not mean that you need to completely abandon using the Editor.
Ok this was not clear for me thank you. I do not need realtime sensitivity. I liked to make a software self-sufficient.

I also wanted to change presets and to have State Recall. My SoftStep 1 is unfortunately without State Recall in Standalone mode.
In Hosted mode it is not possible (I don't know how) to map as midi remote what I do in a M4L patch.

I made State Recall in Max with SS in Hosted mode with a lot of flexibility.
It's an hard way but it is the price to be without limits :D

Thank you,
Arm

Return to “SoftStep Max/MSP Dev Kit forum”