Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

SoftStep 40 Buttons and 40 Long Presses Patch with included SoftStep Config File

a place to share your patches and get help with the Max/MSP Dev. Kit.
Larry Seyer

SoftStep 40 Buttons and 40 Long Presses Patch with included SoftStep Config File

Postby Larry Seyer » Thu May 14, 2015 5:36 pm

This patch (and the included config file for SoftStep) will allow for Keith McMillen's SoftStep to control any MAX application that requires this many unique triggers (buttons) (a total of 80).

There are 10 buttons on the SoftStep with each button having the capability to send 2 controller messages. The SoftStep config file (included) will setup your SoftStep so that it will send out the following data for each button:

DOWN = cc# 21 0
UP = cc# 21 127
LEFT = cc# 22 0
RIGHT = cc#22 127

Value '64' is considered OFF for each button in this patch and the SoftStep config file sets this up for you.

Buttons are configured so that they send out on channels 1-10. (channel 1 being button 1, channel 2 being button 2 etc.)

This MAX program will then interpret the data sent out by the properly configured SoftStep and provide 40 button triggers and 40 long press triggers. This will provide a total of 80 possible triggers from a TINY footprint that runs on a single USB cable.
Attachments
SoftStep.zip
(64.67 KiB) Downloaded 591 times
Larry Seyer

Re: SoftStep 40 Buttons and 40 Long Presses Patch with included SoftStep Config File

Postby Larry Seyer » Thu May 21, 2015 1:53 pm

I would like to make a suggestion to the firmware engineers at KMI for the SoftStep.

My suggestion is this:

You could add this functionality (and more) into the firmware of the SoftStep which would give end users the ability to not only control 80 functions but 160!!!

How is that possible?

As you can see from my code above, I have configured the SoftStep to control 80 'bangs' in the Cycling 74's MAX environment.

This was done using the following logic:

Each SoftStep button has an 'X' and a 'Y' CC message.

By timing how long each message is pressed, the SoftStep can generate eight (8) messages for each button (including 'LONG PRESS' as options).

This is done using the logic that the middle position is considered 'off' (i.e. MIDI value 64) and CC value 128 is considered one direction and 0 is considered another.

How it could be programmed to do 160 is simple:

Just configure each trigger so that the first 'bang' (or trigger) turns a NOTE ON and the subsequent 'bang' (or trigger) turns that same NOTE OFF.

By doing this, the 10 button SoftStep can send out 160 'messages' in the form of note on and note off.

This should be able to be done in the SoftStep's firmware without having to do custom code in Cycling 74's MAX.

That's my suggestion.

Larry

Return to “SoftStep Max/MSP Dev Kit forum”