Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

An example using Softstep with only standard Max objects

a place to share your patches and get help with the Max/MSP Dev. Kit.
Rodrigo

Re: An example using Softstep with only standard Max objects

Postby Rodrigo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Ok, after messing around for a bit with the different solutions and it seems that there's no reliable way to control LED feedback. Jeff's abstraction is super erratic, controlling multiple/neighboring LEDs all the time, not to mention needing a separate abstraction for every possible state of each button (rather than being dynamic/message based).

The official/external-based solution seems to lose connectivity when chatting to the LEDs sometimes (only fixable by unplugging/replugging back in). This also seems to turn on in default mode (EL on and SOFT/STEP flashing, which isn't classy).

The Stefan version is oodles of abstractions (with dependencies on a whole other library), which makes it unruly....

I'd be happy with Jeff's patch if the LED stuff worked right/reliably.

I also tried coding up a matrixctrl type 'only one dot per column' so that you could go from color to color and state to state, without having to manage where you've been, but timing is an issue as I'd have to turn everything off between each color change.
ChrisLavender

Postby ChrisLavender » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:53 pm

Here's an example patch I did to test out the control of the LED's. It works on my end and is extremely scaled back. The intention with this is not that it would be used as-is inside somebody else's patch, but rather as an explanation of my understanding of how to control them. If you understand what the pedal is expecting you can hard code the scenario you want for each of your Max patches. (at least that's what I do).

An additional fyi, personally I've had very mixed results when "hot swapping" the softstep USB. I'm not sure why. It may be more my setup than the pedal, but generally I just avoid doing it.
Attachments
lav.soft_led_cntrl.zip
(3.37 KiB) Downloaded 582 times
Rodrigo

Postby Rodrigo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:30 pm

I tried your patch (a couple of times actually) and I couldn't get it to control anything at all. I even tried restarting max and un/replugging the softstep. I didn't dwell too long on it though.
ChrisLavender

Postby ChrisLavender » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:40 pm

here's a revision with a few more notes and a couple hard coded message boxes. If these don't work, maybe you're not connected right or the midiout may not be selecting the right port somehow? Not sure.
Attachments
lav.soft_led_cntrl2.zip
(4.26 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
Rodrigo

Postby Rodrigo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:12 pm

Anyone having the softstep lose communication when using this? I've just been building my setup but it seems that after 10-15minutes or so (or it might be when something specific happens, I haven't narrowed it down), I lose connection. No messages coming in or out.
Peter Ostry

Postby Peter Ostry » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:09 pm

Rodrigo wrote:Anyone having the softstep lose communication when using this?
Not here. The patch before worked also.

I cannot imagine how the patch should lose the connection on it's own. Each mouse click sends three messages, that's it. My MIDI monitor shows clean data.
TomSwirly

Postby TomSwirly » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:50 pm

I have noticed that if I leave the unit on over night, it often seems to become disconnected, no matter which patching system I happen to be using...

Just a data point!
Rodrigo

Postby Rodrigo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:24 am

I need to try to narrow down what's happening since I'm talking a matter of minutes and I have nothing.

I've not used it in a performance setting yet, but last night while programming for it, it lost connection on me twice within an hour.

Is there a way to 'bang' it back into connection? I tried banging the loadbang inside the jk object but that doesn't do anything.
TomSwirly

Postby TomSwirly » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:13 am

First question - is it a mechanical issue?

Try plugging it into a different USB port with a different cable... not that this is likely to be the case, but it's easy to eliminate and will otherwise drive you mad.

Second question - what happens if you send a reset message to the SS once it hangs? That is, tether on, standalone off?

Third question - what happens if you then quit your patch and open the editor?

This sounds very frustrating, I hope we can resolve it...
Rodrigo

Postby Rodrigo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:10 am

I'm using a generic midi cable that works/plays fine with my monome stuff. I never (that I can tell) lose power connection as the 4character display stays as what it was. If I unplug and replug it goes to scrolling "SOFT STEP".
I can try a different cable into the only other USB port on my laptop.

I'm not using the SS cooking, so there isn't a reset command. I did try to bang the loadbang inside the jk.stepcore, but that doesn't do anything other than on patch load.

Quitting the patch and reopening didn't seem to work, I needed to quit Max. I need to test this more thoroughly as I've only noticed it happening twice, the first time I had to quit Max, the second time, I stopped programming for the day.

It's a shame I worked out a nice 'page' system where I can scroll through different pages, and it will store/clear LED states as I switch around. For you monome guys, I managed to get some MLR-style scrolling/retriggering/looping stuff going, which is quite awesome for a foot controller.

Return to “SoftStep Max/MSP Dev Kit forum”