Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

An example using Softstep with only standard Max objects

a place to share your patches and get help with the Max/MSP Dev. Kit.
Macciza

Re: An example using Softstep with only standard Max objects

Postby Macciza » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi

Re: independent message for "yellow" color . . . .
Think about it from a hardware level and it becomes a bit clearer, the yellow is 'co-dependent' - it relies on both the others to exist. In hardware that means both R&G pins activated as there is no Y . . . So I would not go calling them out on bad firmware, there is a hardware gotcha. As they have not yet leveraged it themselves it's operation is less imperative, or this operation may be part of a future design plan. Look for ways in which you can leverage it . . .

Messaging protection is ultimately a shared responsibility with various tradeoffs regarding making sure the right stuff gets sent, error handling it somehow when it gets received wrong and fitting it within the constraints of the device you are working with . . . At varying levels of 'gracefulness' of information loss . . ..
And Sysex 'makes-up' for what MIDI lacks and controls far more than just global parameters, implementation dependently almost anything is possible . . .

Cheers
MM
KMI StringPort_1650, SoftStep_VK2 v1.2 & MIDI Expander; Mac_Moore Guitar,
Roland VG 8, 88 & 99, YamahaVL 70m; OSX 10.6.8, iMac i7 2.8G QC; MaxMSP 5.1.8, Ableton Live 8.2.2, M4L, SC3, QC, cSound, etc, etc,
TomSwirly

Postby TomSwirly » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:38 am

Coming in late to the party here but I wanted to say how extremely useful this will be to me - particularly now I've found a Max box that supposedly lets me talk right to MIDI from Max For Live, bypassing Live (which BOO doesn't understand Sysexes...)

I'm going to be integrating this into my scroller controller for the Softstep - which will probably appear here about two weeks from now. It'll almost be in Javascript, so no more fields of tiny boxes. :-D

Thanks for doing this work! I dunno why I hadn't worked out that it had to be raw MIDI underneath it all - and then someone else having done it for me is aces.
ChrisLavender

Postby ChrisLavender » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:11 pm

Hey Tom, Not sure if you're already hip to this, but if you want to leverage MIDI in M4L in interesting ways, you might want to checkout Leigh Hunt's lh_midiin and lh_midiout.

http://www.maxobjects.com/?v=libraries& ... 28139a942b

I've found them to be invaluable since M4L's current multi-channel midi implementation isn't very robust.
Rodrigo

Postby Rodrigo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:45 pm

Howdie, new to the forum here as well.

So in reading it looks like there's a couple of options for using only native objects to get the softstep working (including Jeff's and Stefan(sp?) and maybe one more?).

Is this (Jeff's) the most current/recent version of this?
ChrisLavender

Postby ChrisLavender » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:04 pm

Rodrigo wrote:Howdie, new to the forum here as well.

So in reading it looks like there's a couple of options for using only native objects to get the softstep working (including Jeff's and Stefan(sp?) and maybe one more?).

You could checkout his website as I bet he's post any changes (if there are any).

Just to be clear though you could create this on your own too. The one thing that you'll need to be knowledgable about if you want to interface with the pedal in both directions (in and out) is how to use MIDI to communicate with the pedal (i.e. via combination CC messages and a few sysex messages). By studying Jeff's patch (and maybe a few others on here) you could create your own SoftStep patch that's custom tailored to exactly what you need it to do without all the fluff.

That's the beauty of the 100% native Max implementation.
TomSwirly

Postby TomSwirly » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:17 pm

Hey, Chris!

Yes, I got a tip from this board to the lh_ objects and that should fix the final hurdle, I've been distracted from this onto other things and so haven't had the chance to really test it though.

The latest version of my JS stuff will incorporate all your discoveries, rate limiting of messages to the SS, as well as retaining the ability to scroll text across the four-character display that it already has.

I'm probably also going to throw in some LED animation and MIDI triggering, just as "eye candy". :-D

You are probably aware that KMM is coming out in a few weeks with a hand-controller, the QuNeo, and it's my belief that I'll be able to use the same codebase to animate the QuNeo, assuming it's somewhat similar.
Rodrigo

Postby Rodrigo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:50 pm

That's the plan/idea (to build it into a patch as a custom thing.

On his webpage is just the one link/post so it's hard to tell if it's old/current etc..

I just want to start from the most recent discoveries (particularly knowing that sysex stuff can brick things if used wrongly).
ChrisLavender wrote:

You could checkout his website as I bet he's post any changes (if there are any).

Just to be clear though you could create this on your own too. The one thing that you'll need to be knowledgable about if you want to interface with the pedal in both directions (in and out) is how to use MIDI to communicate with the pedal (i.e. via combination CC messages and a few sysex messages). By studying Jeff's patch (and maybe a few others on here) you could create your own SoftStep patch that's custom tailored to exactly what you need it to do without all the fluff.

ChrisLavender

Postby ChrisLavender » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:56 pm

TomSwirly wrote:Hey, Chris!

Yes, I got a tip from this board to the lh_ objects and that should fix the final hurdle, I've been distracted from this onto other things and so haven't had the chance to really test it though.

The latest version of my JS stuff will incorporate all your discoveries, rate limiting of messages to the SS, as well as retaining the ability to scroll text across the four-character display that it already has.

I'm probably also going to throw in some LED animation and MIDI triggering, just as "eye candy". :-D

You are probably aware that KMM is coming out in a few weeks with a hand-controller, the QuNeo, and it's my belief that I'll be able to use the same codebase to animate the QuNeo, assuming it's somewhat similar.

I'd be surprised if the QuNeo used a different messaging logic but you never know.

BTW, I use JS quite a bit for parsing in Max myself and would be very interested in your JS. To be honest, I've found JS to be touch-and-go in Max (very slow) so I usually only use it for info parsing, but I'd still love to see your implementation.
ChrisLavender

Postby ChrisLavender » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:00 pm

Rodrigo wrote:That's the plan/idea (to build it into a patch as a custom thing.

On his webpage is just the one link/post so it's hard to tell if it's old/current etc..

I just want to start from the most recent discoveries (particularly knowing that sysex stuff can brick things if used wrongly).
ChrisLavender wrote:

In all honesty, I'm really not too worried about bricking my SoftStep. I think it's part of an overly zealous attitude leftover from when MIDI hardware sucked. I've hit my SoftStep with these sysex messages being hammered out by a metro running at 250ms without any issue. Is there a chance of bricking it?.... well I guess, but there's also a chance that a jetliner will crash into your home.
Rodrigo

Postby Rodrigo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:35 pm

Yeah fair enough.

That would make a nice qualifier for the side of packaging ala that 80s movie with Dudley Moore who's name I can't remember.

"Yeah you can get cancer from this, but there's also a chance that a jetliner will crash into your home."

Return to “SoftStep Max/MSP Dev Kit forum”