Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

leds from ableton clips

Get help from other 12 Step users
SLP

leds from ableton clips

Postby SLP » Wed May 07, 2014 1:37 pm

I'd like to see what clips are playing from Ableton.
I'm not quite sure I understand the process of getting the leds to light up from my session correctly. the manual doesn't say much, I got this from support:

be controlled by sending MIDI messages to the 12 Step, much like the SoftStep. I believe the LEDs respond starting with CC 20, going up (like the red LEDs on the SoftStep) — an accompanying value of 1 will turn it on and a value of 0 will turn it off.

I also use notes primarily for scene launches. And I've already done a mess load of programming and It seams that I would have to use the cc's that show up on the 12step.

I'm as far as seeing a few responses on pads.

Thanks for clarification.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: leds from ableton clips

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed May 07, 2014 1:51 pm

You can control the LEDs externally by sending CC's to the 12 step, as you mentioned in your post. I'm not really sure how you have your 12 step configured to work with Live as far as launching scenes/clips etc.
A limitation of Live is that you can't send CCs out using audio clips. You'd have to use midi clips, You could easily make 'dummy' clips that are empty and only serve as a means to light up LEDs on the 12 step.
And when you say 'See what clips are playing', you'll only have access, visually, to 12 clips (12 leds = 12 clips). If you describe in a bit more detail exactly how you want to visualize your session I may be able to provide some guidance.
SLP

Postby SLP » Wed May 07, 2014 2:03 pm

THanks for help
I'm looping voice, banjo, and a synth bass into 3 clips.
I'm also launching 4 different rhythm sections(all midi drums).
recording/launching all with the 12step notes. I use the left over buttons to start stop loops.
I'm using a quneo to play the synth parts.

Would be cool to see what rhythm section is playing just for confidence. so I press the kick and the kick blinks or stays on. I press banjo loop 1 and it lights up etc. I can hear it but if I missed the button I would know closer. I'm usually on 1 bar quantize pressing on the 2 or 3 so it would help.

fyi I do have a ss but the 12step form factor seams to work better for this.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed May 07, 2014 2:28 pm

Ah if they are midi drum clips then it should be pretty straightforward.

I just set this up with minimal fuss. On your midi drum tracks open up the automation envelope and select midi ctrl in the top menu.
Select CC 20 in the lower menu (for key one, up to 33 for all the LEDS), and give the envelope a value of 1 for on and 0 for off.
Set the midi out of that track to 12 step port 1.

Launch clip and be amazed by the lights.
SLP

Postby SLP » Wed May 07, 2014 2:46 pm

ah i see thanks! ahh so easy why didn't I do this sooner!
:P

how do I do it with out making a dummy midi track? I know thats an abelton question.

And for the new audio loops not really an option I take it.
Last edited by SLP on Wed May 07, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed May 07, 2014 2:48 pm

You can do this right on the drum clip. The dummy clip suggestion was a workaround for audio clips. of course if you know any M4L you could bypass the whole envelope thing altogether...
SLP

Postby SLP » Wed May 07, 2014 3:19 pm

sorry I don't understand the send to midi while it is a drum rack. I can only make a midi in to 12step. It works
thanks for help
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed May 07, 2014 3:33 pm

Ah yes, you are correct. So we will have to make dummy clips then. I forgot that once you have an instrument on a track then you can't route midi out of it.
hunterhh

Postby hunterhh » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi I have a variation of this question - reading this thread has been helpful but hasn't gotten me all the way.

I am using a 12 step in toggle mode with a midi guitar controller. I use the 12 step to activate and deactivate midi instruments/sample packs for the guitar to play by mapping each key to the mute/unmute button of a particular ableton track - each ableton track has a different instruments loaded in (e.g. track 1 has a strings sample pack loaded in, and key 1 on the 12 step is mapped to the mute/unmute button for that track; track 2 has horns, and key 2 is toggles the mute button for that track).

I'd like for the LED for each key to represent whether the track it is mapped to is on or off (so when the string sample pack is audible, the light is on; if not, the light is off). The default is for the LED to only go on while the key is pressed down, but otherwise be off, whether the track it corresponds to is activated or not.

I used the idea from this thread above and created a dummy midi track as suggested, and now I feel I'm half way towards my solution: I've mapped key 1 so that it both activates the string track and also activates a midi clip on a different track that makes the key 1 LED remain illuminated. But I can't figure out how to then use the same key to deactivate the LED/clip once I've decided to stop using the string sample pack - in other words, I can turn the light on, but not off. Think there's a solution for this?

thanks
Hunter
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:05 am

You've run into one limitation with this particular solution, you can't map one key to both play 2 different clips to get your LED states sorted out. I made this little M4L Midi device for you that solves the issue. You need to throw this on a blank MIDI track, set the output to '12 Step port 1' and you should be good to go.
It's a lot less trouble then trying to figure out weird workarounds to get the LEDs to function as you'd like.
Let me know if you have any issues with it. The only thing that is a little wonky is that the light blinks before it goes on. That is due to the 12 steps internal LED control.
Attachments
12_Step_tracks.amxd.zip
(2.95 KiB) Downloaded 550 times

Return to “12 Step Users' Help Exchange”