Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

wanted: hotter QuNeo

JimmyTheSaint

wanted: hotter QuNeo

Postby JimmyTheSaint » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:21 am

In my experience, the gold standard for a MIDI controller for finger drumming is the ZenDrum, so I'm going to use it as a basis for understanding how to make the QuNeo a better finger drummer. This isn't meant to provoke any controversies, and I know that the ZenDrum is a much more expensive controller whose design is devoted to a single purpose, but the QuNeo is designed to make some compromises in order to do all the things it's meant to do acceptably well.

I'm having two issues with the QuNeo that I'm unable to adjust for in the settings: 1) sensitivity for an overall comfortable playing touch and 2) a method of retriggering that allows good finger rolls and tension-free finger drumming techniques. I'm putting these two separate issues in two separate threads. Please suggest anything to try or that I may be missing. Otherwise, I guess I'm requesting new firmware features if possible.

Again, please, no defensive flaming. I like my QuNeo just fine, too. I'm just trying to get the most out of it and possibly use it to replace other, more bulky and heavy, less-featured gear.

The QuNeo is less sensitive than the ZenDrum to the point where there's a big difference in the finger energy required to play drums. The ZenDrum's lighter touch makes it easier to produce a wide range of dynamics, but the QuNeo's range is too narrow because it starts at too high a threshold. But even if I set the QuNeo to some fixed velocity, like 100, it's harder to drum than it should be and I get too many missed notes unless I lose my ZenDrum technique and start playing with a heavier hand that won't play with the same dexterity.

I've tried different settings, but Here are my QuNeo's current sensitivity settings for the stock Preset 1, which seem to give the best results;
Basic > Global Sensitivity = 5 o'clock (the maximum sensitivity)
Advanced > Pad Sensitivity Adjust = 20 for all pads
Advanced > On Thresh = 3
Advanced > Off Thresh = 1
Advanced > Velocity Table for All Pads = Dynamic

That last velocity curve is less relevant because right now I'm strictly talking about the minimum energy required to actuate the pad. With these settings, the minimum energy required to just get the pad to activate gives a velocity of 7. When I strike my ZenDrum's pads equally hard, it gives a velocity of 40. So my ZenDrum, which I have set up as hot as possible, is quite a bit hotter than the QuNeo. When I strike my ZenDrum with the energy required for maximum velocity (126), the same striking energy produces velocity 50 on the QuNeo. So that's:
QuNeo velocity 07 = ZenDrum velocity 40
QuNeo velocity 50 = ZenDrum velocity 126

In summary, my ZenDrum (laptop model) can be played with a feather light touch and gives the feeling of smoothly varying dynamics up to the maximum, which is still not a very heavy touch. Dynamics aside, the QuNeo requires a minimum energy that's high enough to interfere with technique and requires a more strenuous effort.

A word of caution: I imagine there are QuNeo-ists out there who have quite gotten used to its feel and don't care if the QuNeo was made any more sensitive. I mean, it's currently quite playable for me, too. I'm just saying that it would benefit from greater sensitivity, or at least a mode where sensitivity was given a priority above all else. And then even people used to the heavier touch might appreciate the option. And yes, almost all ZenDrummers I've ever seen use far more energy and effort than they need to, so I don't think you can simply look at people on YouTube and draw the best conclusions about the best way to play ZenDrum.

By the way, I was able to simulate a much better playing experience by placing a 1 pound ceramic ashtray on the QuNeo, which covered 4 pads exactly. When I tapped on the ashtray, it gave me the response I was looking for. So I conclude that pre-weighting a QuNeo pad by 4oz. makes the pad sit at a an initial point much closer to its threshold. If there's nothing more that can be done in settings or firmware, I wonder if there's some physical mod to make the QuNeo hotter?
coro

Re: wanted: hotter QuNeo

Postby coro » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:11 am

many many thanks for your inputs ;)

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”