Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Newbie here, how are things going?

Tausendberg

Newbie here, how are things going?

Postby Tausendberg » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:37 am

Just got my Quneo yesterday and I am very eager to just jump in headfirst and make the most of a device that is as apparently ahead of the curve as this one.

A few questions:

Is there some kind of master list somewhere of all manuals/technical documentation/and tutorial videos? Poked around but unless I'm mistaken, everything looks a bit scattered.

I read on this forum that apparently there was work being done on a V1.3 but the mention of it that I saw was more than two years ago now, I'm not fishing for a release date or promised features but is that still happening?

I'm currently poking around for answers but I haven't found it yet, but I have midi output going into the Quneo out of StudioOne and it is lighting up when the notes are hit but rather than lighting up the pads that I struck to make those midi notes, it's lighting up very unintuitive parts of the Quneo like the arrows. This can be fixed, right?

Also working on it, but I would want the pitch bend to be controlled by one of the sliders and I haven't quite figured that out just yet. Looking through the documentation but I haven't deduced it. Any suggestions?

Thank you to KMI for making a fascinating and very promising device, I look forward to many years of use and exploration!
Tausendberg

Re: Newbie here, how are things going?

Postby Tausendberg » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:39 am

Woah, I just saw this amazing Quneo video and I realize that I'm thinking too small. I hope that eventually the firmware will support user assigned different midi notes and cc's for the remote led control (because why not?) but at this point, just wanting the quneo to light up the pad that was struck, I need to think bigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=980_x_lJCgM
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:21 am

There isn't a master list of resources, but there is plenty of stuff (including the manual) available on the website.
1.3 is currently not in development yet, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.
Remote MIDI messages are hardcoded. You can find what MIDI messages correspond to which LED in the manual. If you just want the pad that you play to light up, I would just use local LED control for that.
Pitch bend cannot be mapped to sliders at this point, but is a known feature request.
I'm nit sure if we will ever support user assigned CCs/Notes (that would actually be a fair bit of memory on the board for each of the presets) but mirroring of LED messages is a big one. Something to make bi-directional feedback a little easier.
Tausendberg

Postby Tausendberg » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:40 am

TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:1.3 is currently not in development yet,
Alright, well, thank you for being straight with me. It's rather unusual for a private entity in this day and age but this device is really powerful so I can make the most of what's in front of me right now. Pitch bend for something other than the pads would be nice but take your time and do it right.

When you say hard-coded, what do you mean? Just, in theory, could the midi variables that trigger remote led conrol be changed in a firmware update or is it somehow fixed in the hardware and unchangeable?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:48 pm

It's not fixed in the hardware. The firmware takes incoming MIDI notes and translates them into messages to the LEDs. It would take a firmware update to change the notes, and a whole new LED implementation to allow them to be mirrored or user assignable.
Tausendberg

Postby Tausendberg » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:30 pm

Alright then, well, I hope 1.3, whenever it happens, will have that implementation, thank you for all the answers!

I only have one more question at this point regarding pitch bending via the pads. Is there some kind of 'buffer' I could put for the xy controls on the pads before they are 'actuated'?

What I mean is, right now, from what I can tell, if I set an x or y on a pad to pitch bend and I use in drum mode, then I go to play a drum sampler (in my case, impact in Studio One) then I am getting a little bit of pitch bend every time I tap one of the pads because unless I hit it perfect center, it is receiving pitch bend messages. Right now, for just triggering drum samples, it would be enough for me to just have it so that if I only so much as tap a pad then it doesn't send pitch bend but if I hold the pad for x number of milliseconds then it starts to send pitch bend messages. Do you know if there exists any sort of workaround like this?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:19 pm

No there isn't a user definable delay, or 'dead zone' settings. Pitch bend (or any data for that matter) on X or Y is an instantaneous measurement of position.
Tausendberg

Postby Tausendberg » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:36 pm

Alright then, thank you for clearing that up for me.

If I may make a features request (I'm sure you guys are up to your ear's in those) something like, the pitch bend doesn't get activated until some pressure threshold after the initial strike is crossed would allay this concern perfectly for me.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:42 am

Already in the books as a feature request :)
Tausendberg

Postby Tausendberg » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:35 pm

Alright, so last I checked in, was in the beginning of 2016 and here we are at the tail end of 2016...

Any progress on an updated firmware?

After all this time I have to say I am overall impressed with the Quneo though I really do think it could stand to benefit from some more features.

First of all, I'm really surprised that it doesn't have native support for polyphonic aftertouch considering that, unlike with most other controllers, with the Quneo, it's only a matter of software, not hardware.

Also, some of the features, like pressure, could really stand to have a deadzone feature. Like, I would like to be able to use the xy controllers with downware pressure on the pads but it's a bit troublesome that the pressure is getting triggered as soon as I've pressed hard enough to activate the xy, it would be nice if there were separate global sensitivity values for pressure and xy.

So yeah, if I can just get a straight answer so that I at least know what to expect, is there even a firmware update in the works?

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”