Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Sending sysex via QuNeo controls

BlindFish

Sending sysex via QuNeo controls

Postby BlindFish » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:17 am

Hello everyone,

as a visually impaired musician i was looking for a solution to make my newly acquaired music workstation a bit more accessible to me and found the look and feel of a midi controller to be a good approach.

As the QuNeo offers a huge variety of UI elements it surely would do a good job for my purposes but what I couldn't find out is if it is possible to have a UI element such as a pad send out sysex data to a connected device.

can anyone help me with some more information about that?

Regards,
BlindFish
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: Sending sysex via QuNeo controls

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:05 am

You can't send sysex from the QuNeo natively.
The only option is to set up something in either Max,Pure Data, or Bome's MIDI translator, that takes MIDI messages and translates them to Sysex.
BlindFish

Postby BlindFish » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:57 am

Thanks for your comment.

Although I don't know any of the applications mentioned i assume that all of these involve either a Mac or a PC?

to be honest, i cannot understand why processing sysex was not implemented so far. but maybe it's due to limitations of the internal memory of the QuNeo.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:11 pm

What sysex commands are you trying to issue?
What type of sysex processing are you looking for specifically?
Sysex 'processing' (other than MMC) aren't really that common of a task for most MIDI controllers.
BlindFish

Postby BlindFish » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:10 pm

basically i want to trigger actions to control my Korg Kronos workstation as the touch screen UI is crammed in a way that makes it nearly impossible to be operated with purpose when performing on stage being nearly blind. I am not sure about all the things that i would like to control by using a surface with physical elements like pads and buttons but accessing songs, combis and programs, transposing, chosing different midi channels while a song is playing are things i need to deal with.

i have not figured out the exact sysex strings that are required to perform these actions but i have browsed the midi implementation guide and found most of the parameters i am looking for to be editable by corresponding sysex commands.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:48 pm

To be fair a lot of music workstations can have all of those things be recalled by more traditional MIDI messages (program change in most cases).
BlindFish

Postby BlindFish » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:50 pm

right, but as soon as you want to change the global pitch or switch between performance and sequencer mode this can't be done just by CC, bank or program changes.

however, it looks like my approach seemed to be a dead horse from the beginning so i've got to think about it again. thank you anyway.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:56 am

BlindFish wrote:right, but as soon as you want to change the global pitch or switch between performance and sequencer mode this can't be done just by CC, bank or program changes.
This is a very specific need based on your particular workstation. I wouldn't say that accessing parameters during a performance via sysex is a very common need.

Good luck.
BlindFish

Postby BlindFish » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:42 am

Thanks.

I just wanted to make clear that i am not asking for sysex transmitting abilities because the workstation requires these features. the workstation itself has a ton of controllers one could use and a huge touch screen interface that is IMHO quite convenient for any sighted user.

as a handicapped person, i just tried to find a way to make the instrument more accessible to me. as you can probably imagine, a touch screen interface is without of any use for someone who's blind, unless it is equipped with voice over or something similar, as it is available on an ipad. so my idea was to focus on a surface that features control elements that can be accessed without vision like the QuNeo pads, sliders and dials. the surface of the QuNeo feels good under my fingers and the UI elements are big enough to hold even labels with braille for better orientation

but of course you are right and we are still talking about a very special need :-).

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”