Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Firmware upgrade with Linux?

jscott

Re: Firmware upgrade with Linux?

Postby jscott » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:30 pm

kazakore wrote:and by extension the JSON format configuration for the latest firmware releases
I think you mean the sysex format, correct?

JSON is self documenting. The JSON patch format used is well designed and very readable. I've had no problems directly reading and writing it to create my own layouts. Documenting it is not really necessary.

Sysex is a bit different, it would be good to have it documented. Various people have reverse engineered it and there are docs out there somewhere. However, I think you're right that the layout of stuff did change a bit in each firmware release. This makes it tricky to maintain. As you point out, releasing the editor code would sort of be a way of documenting the sysex for each revision as well. Some people do have access to that code. I don't need it myself for my own editor work, but maybe others do.

I've noted that I was pining for the firmware code to be released. The argument against that was that the development tools for the processor were expensive, over $1000 (it's mentioned around here somewhere). That changed though a while back as the chip maker released a very inexpensive evaluation board kit that comes with the compiler, about $99. A couple years ago I would have jumped into that but these days I have other stuff I am doing and I am happy with my own low level stuff that pulls effective 10 bit resolution off the sliders and drives 14 bit controllers, and supports multitouch sliders. If I had the firmware I'd be able to fix the aftertouch sensitivity problems without reducing its resolution. But of course due to the flash size constraints of the hardware very likely some features would have to go away. Although I advocated for this previously, at this point I'm unlikely to do firmware improvements and I'm probably there's only one or two people total able to mess with it on this level, so there's probably no point to them releasing it really.
turntables

Postby turntables » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:46 pm

TheSupport@KMI wrote:Ok, I've attached a zip of the two SysEx files you'll need to send to the QuNeo. You should first send the "enter_bootloader.syx" file to the QuNeo — this will put it into bootloader mode, so it's ready to receive firmware. You'll know it worked if the mode button (top-left circle) lights up and stays blue.

Then you should send the other file, "Quneo_Firmware_v1.1.2.syx" to the QuNeo — this will load the firmware onto your QuNeo. The blue light should start flashing if it is working properly.
Is this the latest version?
elmquist

Postby elmquist » Sat May 02, 2015 6:42 am

jscott wrote:Sysex is a bit different, it would be good to have it documented. Various people have reverse engineered it and there are docs out there somewhere. However, I think you're right that the layout of stuff did change a bit in each firmware release. This makes it tricky to maintain. As you point out, releasing the editor code would sort of be a way of documenting the sysex for each revision as well.
Just wanted to announce that the tool I have been talking about previously in this thread is now released. Part of what it can do is generating documentation for the sysex format.

Link to tool thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=2689

Hope this helps! :-)
kazakore

Postby kazakore » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:38 pm

OK I had only read back a couple of pages before posting before and missed a lot of the work that had been going on! I would like to update the QuNeo (not sure what version firmware it has but at least 3 years old) and hopefully get a working way to edit in Linux. Reading carefully it seems there are a few options but I'm not positive if compatible with most recent firmware.

This tool definitely looks like it should work. Not sure which forum poster it would be as I don't recognise their HitHub name...
https://github.com/jnurmine/quneo-linux
EDIT: It's Slinky's and here's his thread on the tool. Only for converting preset files ready to be sent and then instructions on how to send them. Still useful to me as I can't remember how I left my device configured so worth going back to square one with default presets.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=2696

Or the Beta port of the official editor that can be found as an attachment to post on this page by jrussell.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=651&start=120

I guess I should just do a manual firmware update to be sure and test them both myself and report back is I can find time...
On that note might be useful to drop the sex_files link here for anybody else coming to the end of the thread...
http://files.keithmcmillen.com/download ... sex_files/
elmquist

Postby elmquist » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:20 pm

kazakore wrote:Reading carefully it seems there are a few options but I'm not positive if compatible with most recent firmware.
The tool I posted mentioned above works with the most recent firmware:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=2689

And yes just use the firmware sysex files in the link you posted:
http://files.keithmcmillen.com/download ... sex_files/

Regarding my tool please observe that (1) there are currently no JSON support and (2) update one preset at a time. Essentially the idea with the tool is that instead of needing an editor to make rather bulky JSON files one writes the configuration of the individual controller elements in a higher level notation. Its not terribly complex once one gets the basic idea behind the configuration language.

Hope this helps! :-)
kazakore

Postby kazakore » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:37 am

No updates since this time?

I just had a quick look at the beta of the Linux config editor I have on the PC and I swear it's not the one I had last time as it seems to be missing edit functions such as copy and past and moving between pads with keyboard shortcuts I'm sure I remember using.... Have I opened the wrong thing or am I just remember the PC version??
Axel

Postby Axel » Sat May 11, 2019 9:45 am

So, I downloaded the Linux version of the editor from the offical link and it tells me that It expects firmware v1.2.24 but found v1.2.30. Can I still use it or will my Quneo blow up if I start editing?
Taika-Kim

Postby Taika-Kim » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:06 am

I see the discussion is a bit old, but where can I find the latest version of the Linux editor? I finally dumped Windows for good, but noticed that the editor does not work with Wine.
Taika-Kim

Postby Taika-Kim » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:56 pm

Just wanted to say thank you! I just installed the beta, and altough the qt4gui isn't in the Ubuntu repos anymore, I found instructions to install them. Everything seems to work beautifully, altough the font is big enough that the numbers don't quite fit in the boxes.

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”