Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Firmware upgrade with Linux?

TheSupport@KMI

Re: Firmware upgrade with Linux?

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:50 pm

Hmmm. No idea. It seems odd that that would happen. I'll see what's up.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
jkroll

Postby jkroll » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:19 am

The repository reappeared without comment. Weird.

What's the plan for the editor code? I thought it would be released.
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:38 pm

It seems that the repository is on one of our employees' personal github account and the bill just wasn't paid on time. Haha. I'm sure we should definitely get an actual KMI github account for these sort of things.

Not sure what the editor code plan is. I always push for being more open, but that doesn't mean the person who can okay that sort of decision listens.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
kazakore

Postby kazakore » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:01 pm

What's the news with the Linux editor? (I'm in India with only occasional internet access so sorry for not reading through the thread to find out.) Editing and updating my QuNeo presets has been one of only two reasons I've have booted up my Win7 partition in a good many months now and I would like to reduce it further if I can! Although maybe spending the time to get it working with Wine would be another way...
kazakore

Postby kazakore » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:14 am

Six months and no reply to my comment!!!!! :o

So the Linux progress has crashed and died in a massive fireball yeah???

JRussel seem to be doing well, little project on BitBucket and a very promising comment in the Readme:
"Official KMI QuNeo Preset Editor for Linux development started

The qnTools team has joined forces with the KMI team to bring the official KMI QuNeo Preset Editor to Linux and Open Source! See the announcment for more information."

:D (or so I would hope)

Except the link to the Announcement is just a dead link!! More lies and hot air!!!!!

EDIT: Actually seems to be in the Announcement Board, check the link in you Readme :)

Sorry for going off on one before looking there (deleted half the post in case you wonder what I mean.)
kazakore

Postby kazakore » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:38 am

But when is 1.2.4 coming to Linux and when we will be able to update firmware without using somebody else's computer??

And in all honesty my points about this company having lied through its teeth over openness and related subjects non-stop since I bought during the Kickstarter project are still as true as ever!! But I should be used to people lying ("good marketing") and know the Linux community is always treated like dirt by now!!! :(
elmquist

Postby elmquist » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:00 am

Well kazakore, I am working on a command line tool for generating QuNeo presets from a higher level textual description that will be platform independent. The project is currently awaiting response from KMI's QuNeo firmware developer and quite some elbow grease from myself.

Also, forum user jrussel have ported the KMI QuNeo editor to Linux and also made a command line tool translating the QuNeo preset JSON files into binary preset format. Please see above for more information.

So stuff are indeed happening behind the scenes.

As for hacking on the QuNeo firmware I am not sure if that would be much fun for anyone as it requires expensive development tools and I am pretty sure none of the code is obvious. Personally I would much prefer to leave that goodie bit to KMI. But of cause that is a matter of taste!

The challenge of updating QuNeo on nonsupported operating systems are simply a question of being able to update the presets after firmware update as the preset format usually changes with new firmware versions.

Anyway, feel free to send all the flak you want to KMI (and definitely not me!). The above writings are just what I currently know about the status of the various Linux related projects.

Hope this helps! :-)
jkroll

Postby jkroll » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:43 am

kazakore wrote:And in all honesty my points about this company having lied through its teeth over openness and related subjects non-stop since I bought during the Kickstarter project are still as true as ever!! But I should be used to people lying ("good marketing") and know the Linux community is always treated like dirt by now!!! :(
Currently, the Linux version of the editor crashes when I try to update presets. Of course, the source code for the editor still isn't released and there is no officially supported Linux version, so I don't expect this to be fixed any time soon. As I don't use or have Windows, this turns my QuNeo pretty much into a pretty expensive plastic brick. I can't even use it as a doorstop because it is so thin.

Keith McMillen have lied about the QuNeo being open source on Kickstarter right from the start, and used the "open source" tag for marketing. Yet no part of the product is open source: Not the schematics; not the firmware; not the editor. Apparently there was to be an SDK for the QuNeo which hasn't materialized yet, either.

I believed the marketing and paid for an open source product; something I could hack and modify. I did not get what I paid for. The QuNeo is a closed-source brick, just like lots and lots of other controllers on the market.

This has been discussed for months (years?) now, with no result. It seems obvious that Keith McMillen never intended to fulfill their "open source" promise from the start.

I am advising my musician friends not to buy from Keith McMillen. It is likely they will get scammed.
elmquist

Postby elmquist » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:36 am

@jkroll: Yeah it would be lovely if KMI would release the editor sources for their products. Some steps has been performed for QuNeo already but it would be nice if it just happened for all of their products by default.

Perhaps its about time for KMI and the user community to agree on the editors being open source as one of KMI's Winter NAMM 2015 news?

As for the configuration of your QuNeo there is already a tool made by forum user jrussel that can configure your controller from a json file. These files are quite bulky though. Please see previous posts in this thread for more information.

I am working on a command line tool with a more concise input format but its still not finished and awaits some input from KMI before it can be completed.

As for QuNeo being open hardware and having open source firmware I can live with that as long as KMI actually continues to make updates and bug fixes. But that is just me. Others will surely disagree!
kazakore

Postby kazakore » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:06 pm

elmquist wrote: Perhaps its about time for KMI and the user community to agree on the editors being open source as one of KMI's Winter NAMM 2015 news?
A bit late for your optimistic deadline but I believe this is all it would take to prevent the majority of the complaints received. Plus I can see no reason why not to release the editor code, and by extension the JSON format configuration for the latest firmware releases. Sure it could all be reverse engineered but there is really no reason to keep it closed anyway!

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”